News Things could get messy as Tampon Tax has women seeing red. hope to plug heavy flow of unfair laws

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Mar 3, 2016.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Five New York women are fighting to halt the state's "Tampon Tax."
    Margo Seibert, Jennifer Moore, Catherine O'Neil, Natalie Brasington, and Taja-Nia Henderson, filed a lawsuit Thursday against New York's tax department and its commissioner, Jerry Boone.

Their demand: Stop imposing a 4% "luxury tax" on feminine hygiene products.

The complaint points to guidelines published by the taxation department in 1998 and 2014 that categorize pads and tampons as "general merchandise." That means they're not eligible for a "medical supplies" tax exemption.

Related: 'Pink tax' angers women from New York to London

"There can be only one explanation for the Department's decision to tax tampons and pads but not Rogaine, dandruff shampoo, foot powder, chapstick, and so many other less medically necessary products also used by men...[these products] are used by women only," the complaint reads.

It further argues that tampons and sanitary pads indisputably "serve multiple medical purposes. They are not luxury items, but a necessity for women's health."

The document also points out that the Federal Food and Drug Administration categorizes feminine hygiene products as "medical devices."
    New York women collectively pay $14 million in taxes on feminine hygiene products each year, the complaint estimates. The plaintiffs are seeking class action status and "restitution and damages in an amount to be determined at trial," as well as immediate relief from the tax.

Commissioner Boone declined to comment.

Two state lawmakers have proposed legislation that would explicitly add feminine hygiene products to the list of exempt items in New York's tax code, but it hasn't made significant gains toward enactment.

[​IMG]

reno, kingship and OV like this.
  2. suckemnuckledus

suckemnuckledus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Stop the beer tax, stop the gas tax! Shit, give a man a break if the vag get a tax break! wtf!

The Jackie chair and Stretch5000 like this.
  3. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I would be OK with a gas tax that only happens 5 days a month

suckemnuckledus likes this.
  4. Stretch5000

Stretch5000 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Reform the divorce/family courts first. Then we can talk.

The Jackie chair and unclefreddy like this.
  5. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    Sounds like these broads are on the rag.:grad:

6. Tracy

Tracy Little Miss Sunshine VIP

Reputations:
    It does suck to have to pay tax on tampons since it's not something you would buy if you had a choice. According to this article there isn't a tax on Chapstick or Rogaine? I'd say those are more optional than something to prevent me from bleeding all over myself...
    I'm so used to paying sales tax on everything I don't really take notice but now that you mention it it seems like a fair point.

reno likes this.
  7. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Maybe the reason for the tax is that hard line Christians don't want women sticking penis-shaped tampons into their vagina.

8. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    This will have some women seeing red.

The Jackie chair likes this.