WTF This is what a controlled plane crash looks like from the cabin

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Finns Wake, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Finns Wake

Finns Wake Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you pay attention to any news sites, you know that an Emirates 777 crash landed at Dubai today. Somehow all 300 on board managed to evacuate before the hull was consumed by fire. Granted a firefighter did lose his life. Here's some video from inside the cabin right after landing. Gives a good illustration of the insanity that will ensue in a situation like this. Of course all the knuckleheads are rummaging through the overhead bins for their shit. Another given is that this was shot in portrait vs. landscape, which seems to be SOP for disaster filming. Either way, please proceed with the comments about what the smell must've been like and what not. But kudos to cabin crew and training for pulling this off. @Mr Pink may have some insight to add based on some of his previous posts I've read. Several theories running about from some other pilots I've talked to. Look forward to findings.

VarmintSam and monsoon like this.
  2. A Succulent Chinese Meal

A Succulent Chinese Meal Oh, that's a nice headlock, sir. VIP

Reputations:
    God bless those flight attendants.

babybear, Pitzarea and Mr Pink like this.
  3. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Not going to lie

I'd be stepping over the carry on luggage retrieving ass wipes

4. A Succulent Chinese Meal

A Succulent Chinese Meal Oh, that's a nice headlock, sir. VIP

Reputations:
    Dong, I'm not going to lie here, I kind of long for someone to freak out on a plane I'm on so I can participate in tying them to the seat with belts and subduing them with vigilante justice.

Mike Huntslooce, check1 and DuckDong like this.
  5. Finns Wake

Finns Wake Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Kind of like this?

6. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thanks. It's really not by chance that several recent crash landings have been 100% survivable despite the cataclysmic events.

It's a testament to a couple of things:

-- The awesome 777 plane (and modern planes in general). They can take a massive beating and still protect the passengers. They actually design these planes to take a belly landing. The SFO 777, this one, the 777 in the UK, the runway overrun in Canada a while back, the 737 off the runway in Denver -- all of them, everyone survived (the crash) and the planes burned to the ground.

-- The training of the flight attendants. Yes, we serve you cokes and peanuts during those long stretches between dragging you from a burning plane. Seriously though, we're trained, yearly, to evacuate a plane in 90 seconds -- doesn't matter how big or how full -- 90 SECONDS. This is how fast a plane on fire can become unsurvivable. The process is refined a little periodically and is an exercise in crowd control along with a little psychology. The commands and actions are specific and precise -- all to get a plane empty in 90 seconds (and not evacuating right into the fire).

Without the actions of the flight attendants, many would have died.

Sounds like in this crash, the pilots decided to go around but raised the landing gear before establishing positive rate of climb so they hit with the gear up. It take a long time for those engines to respond and generate lift. Like hitting the gas pedal and the car taking 10 seconds to respond. Sounds like it going to be pilot error on this one.

http://avherald.com/h?article=49c12302&opt=0

Accident: Emirates B773 at Dubai on Aug 3rd 2016, touched down during go-around without gear, aircraft on fire

By Simon Hradecky, created Wednesday, Aug 3rd 2016 09:32Z, last updated Thursday, Aug 4th 2016 11:05Z

An Emirates Airlines Boeing 777-300, registration A6-EMW performing flight EK-521 from Thiruvananthapuram (India) to Dubai (United Arab Emirates) with 282 passengers and 18 crew, was on final approach to Dubai's runway 12L at 12:41L (08:41Z) but attempted to go around from low height. The aircraft however did not climb, but after retracting the gear touched down on the runway and burst into flames. All occupants evacuated via slides, 13 passengers received minor injuries, 10 were taken to hospitals, 3 treated at the airport. The aircraft burned down completely. A firefighter attending to the aircraft lost his life.

The airline reported: "Emirates can confirm that an incident happened at Dubai International Airport on 3rd August 2016 at about 12.45pm local time."

United Arab Emirates Government confirmed an Emirates aircraft arriving from India suffered a crash landing at Dubai Airport, all passengers have been evacuated, there are no reports of injuries.

United Arab Emirates General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) reported a firefighter attending to the fire, while saving lives, lost his own life. The director of the GCAA said: "I salute his ultimate sacrifice that kept many from harm’s way. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

Emirates Airlines' chairman reported 13 passengers received minor injuries during the incident and were treated by medical teams.

On Aug 4th 2016 the airline reported that both captain and first officer had accumulated more than 7000 flying hours. The aircraft involved in the "operational incident" was equipped with Trent 800 engines and had been delivered to the airline in March 2003.

A passenger in the aft cabin reported, that the approach was normal, there had been no announcements or indications of anything abnormal. Then there was a heavy impact, oxygen masks came down, the aircraft skidded shaking violently and immediately filling with smoke and came to a stop. All doors were opened, it appeared however not all of them were used for evacuation. After sliding down the chute the passenger began to run, about 100 meters from the aircraft an explosion was heard (editorial note: watch video "The aircraft erupting into flames", the right wing caught fire and including right hand engine separated from the aircraft).

Another passenger reported that the captain made an announcement they would land at Dubai and the weather was fine, nothing appeared to be amiss. Suddenly the aircraft hit the ground tail/belly first, at the same time the right hand engine caught fire, and the aircraft skidded to a halt, smoke filled the cabin, only at this time the passengers realised the seriousness of the situation. The accident came entirely out of the blue.

According to ATC recordings the aircraft performed a normal approach and landing, there was no priority or emergency declared. Upon contacting tower tower advised the crew to plan to vacate the runway at taxiway M9 (editorial note: which several listeners including the editor originally understood as a reminder for the crew to lower the gear) and cleared the aircraft to land. Another approach reported on tower frequency. About 2 minutes after EK-521 reported on tower, the crew reported going around, tower instructed the aircraft to climb to 4000 feet, the crew acknowledged climbing to 4000 feet, a few seconds later tower instructs the next arrival to go around and alerts emergency services. The position of the aircraft is described near the end of the runway.

7. ApeFace

ApeFace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    God damn, it must have stunk on that plane.

Leykis101 and flaflaflunky like this.
  8. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    "My turban is burning!"

9. VarmintSam

VarmintSam Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I am never flying again, Bah Gawd stop the damn match!!!

10. squigglyline

squigglyline Double Secret Probation Gold

Reputations:
    Hearing those children screaming in fear is heartbreaking. :(
    Thank God they made it out OK.

11. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    In reality, certain flights do stink to high heaven

12. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Even in a burning plane, people are slow as shit.

13. HelloCleveland!

HelloCleveland! Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  14. Wangold

Wangold Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My brother was on that flight.

He said the funk of the other passengers was worse than any death sentence.

Sad, but true.....

Glad you're home, Steve!

Mr Pink likes this.
  15. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP

Reputations:

16. Zyro

Zyro Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I love that we live in a time where everything gets recorded now, no matter how dangerous the situation.

17. Zyro

Zyro Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

DarkFriday likes this.
  18. Pitzarea

Pitzarea Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I am absolutely terrified of flying. The thought of being locked in a 400 ton sky cage moving 30,000 feet above the ground makes me want to vomit. I'm also too nervous to take a sedative or drink anything because I think it'll make me more paranoid and I'll freak out and do something that crashes the plane.

I hate flying.

Zyro likes this.
  19. Turtle Man

Turtle Man Hello Darling Gold

Reputations:
    Hmmm let me get my overhead bag while the engine is on fire :jj:

20. bluedevil30

bluedevil30 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That was not a "controlled" crash. It was a crash that people happened to survive. Im guessing major pilot error not wind shear.