Politics This is what is wrong with the world today

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by bootyclause, Jan 9, 2016.

1. bootyclause

bootyclause Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I came to this conclusion on my own but this is a more scientific look at it - the internet is turning everyone into heavily biased, misinformed extremists. Jihadists, NRA people, BlackLivesMatter, Tea Party, Occupy Wall Street, everyone else - they are all sitting around on the internet sharing false ideas that build up their crazy views until the lose their mind.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2016-01-08/how-facebook-makes-us-dumber

Brokenbad, JFK, Xent and 3 others like this.
  2. bootyclause

bootyclause Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't know how to just embed the article.

3. pickles3000

pickles3000 Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
  4. WUT7272G7C

WUT7272G7C Space Chimp

Reputations:
    "More generally, Facebook users tended to choose and share stories containing messages they accept, and to neglect those they reject. If a story fits with what people already believe, they are far more likely to be interested in it and thus to spread it."

I think people have always been this way (I am anyway). Before the Internet- if I didn't see eye to eye with a group, I'd moved on and find another group.

News Channels do this right? Fox is right wing, and only touch those stories. PBS is Left. etc.

Head Censor, Honkey Donkey and reno like this.
  5. Turtle Man

Turtle Man Hello Darling Gold

Reputations:
    :lol: the article is right

ltd86, bobp and kinneyjames like this.
  6. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    This.
    If you're anti-gun, you wouldn't hang out on a firearms forum.

Head Censor and WUT7272G7C like this.
  7. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It's sheer numbers of outlets today that makes things different. I think people have always sought like-minded opinions, but in the past there weren't so many places to find extremes. For instance, if you were communist back in the 50's/60's, you had to find some underground publication. Today it takes no more time to search for a communist group on the Internet than it takes to find a Tea Party page.

I also think that there is more money to be made by extremes than ever before. People selling snake oil are highly skilled in convincing people they have the answer to their ills. If you suspect Muslims are the biggest threat to your life, there are people who are making a lot of money by supporting that idea and pushing it to the hilt.

Selfishness may be higher today than it has been in the past. Most people today couldn't care less about community. It's a me me me me me society today like never before. Feed me what I want to hear because I sure as shit don't want to hear or even consider the contrary.

Brokenbad and WUT7272G7C like this.
  8. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    All you need to do today is join the dem party. The head of the dnc and their candidate for potus cant explain the difference.

1Vegasgirl and Turtle Man like this.
  9. kinneyjames

kinneyjames Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Clickbait makes many dummies.

10. floplop

floplop Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wrong:
    whats wrong with this country is very very simple. We are made up of 100 differant types of peoples, with 100 differant ideas on how things should be. You go to countries like let's say Finland or Iceland or Sweden and things are great because EVERYONE IS THE SAME AND THINKS AND ACTS THE SAME. However, things were not always this bad and unfortunatly will become worse because we are losing our identity as a mostly white christian nation. I can remember as a kid 40 years ago (which is not that long ago in the scheme of things) the troubles we have today did not exist. Sure we had racial tension with blacks but they were in there own area and we only met them when they started busing into our schools. The fact is that most of the time (not all) people of differant cultures and religions and background just are not made to live side by side.

Brokenbad, Goods and Turtle Man like this.
  11. YodaQuiversStern

YodaQuiversStern Turn and face the strange

Reputations:
    Yes, but it has gotten worse, both with media and blogging. A lot of people will believe a blogger to be an expert on a subject. Plus, the real media is in a constant race to be the first to put out info - they often get details wrong. People also often read headlines, which grossly oversimplify a topic. I've also found that the quality of journalism these days is poor at best - stories are poorly written or produced, lots of holes in the information, hard to follow stories because they don't have all the info and tons of embellishment to create a more interesting news story. I remember a friend's fiancé died in a car accident and the local news changed what was actually written in the police report to, I'm assuming, make a more interesting story.

bobp and WUT7272G7C like this.
  12. YinzerMasshole

YinzerMasshole VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Very true. Here's an excellent video about how this world; along with the dangers of groupthink, and encouraged conflict:

13. larryluncg

larryluncg Empty VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I lasted :30 seconds

Turtle Man likes this.
  14. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    And if you're a fascist you volunteer for Trump

15. PI Nate

Reputations:
    I wouldn't know, I'm not a supporter of his. I do know that labeling any candidates supporters with such a broad brush is foolish. Someone could say the entire dem base are uneducated urban types. When we know the majority is really comprised of self-hating Caucasians, that are really closet racists.

[​IMG]

SouthernListen likes this.
  16. Sloppyjoe

Sloppyjoe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

The problem with too much information is people are not stopping to look at the sources of said information, how old it it, where it came from.

You can make up batshit crazy stuff and quote it under a name of someone and people will lose their shit and freak out without stopping and doing a quick search to see if it's legit or not.

Information is a great thing, unfortunately humanity is not that great overall at using information.

Jake Dog likes this.
  17. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Yes, we were all much more informed when Dan Rather told us how to think and we couldn't read up on anything.

Meanwhile, you just read something on the internet that misinformed you.

18. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    Stop it.

19. PI Nate

Reputations:
    Why, it's fun. And that one is actually true, hill nor deb schultz could articulate a difference.

20. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    When Obama got in things didn't change all that much. He even brought back some of the same people that Bush had in. Opposite sides of the same coin. When whatever republican gets in this time, they won't dump everything Obama has done (even if it's Trump. He'll get the talking to by the higher ups). The great ship United States must continue sailing in the same direction.