Sports This the best weekend for auto racing!

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, May 29, 2016.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    F1 at Monaco

Indy 500

Coca-Cola 600

Overdose!!!!!!!!!

2. lovetalkradio

lovetalkradio Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...Plus, Antenna tv is celebrating by having nothing but auto racing themed films. I met a woman who's hubby is from the Indy area. She's going on a cross country trip
    to watch the Indy 500. 100 yrs expect to have many more people than usual. Sounds like fun.

Wangold likes this.
  3. Fuzz Nuts

Fuzz Nuts VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Really looking forward to the F1 race. Qualifying was great.

scoobyla, Wangold and Lemmy like this.
  4. Shithead

Reputations:
    Might be raining which would make it really interesting...Ricciardo looks fast as hell

Fuzz Nuts likes this.
  5. Fuzz Nuts

Fuzz Nuts VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Monaco is a scary course. Bet it's terrifying in the wet.

I like Hamilton but Riccardo may have the speed to beat mercedes.

6. Shithead

Reputations:
    Pole is sooo important at this track....

Good to see Haas having a decent season so far...I think it even exceeds their expectations

scoobyla and Fuzz Nuts like this.
  7. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Monaco is basically a parade at this point. Not sure that rain will help make it any more exciting, there is just no place to pass.

8. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Gentleman start your engines. Will Jim Nabors ( Gomer Pyle ) be singing today at the 500

9. potroast

Reputations:
    The Associated Press interviewed the 27 living race winners on topics ranging from the greatest driver to the most memorable moment. While the winner’s milk won with 13 votes, seven chose the singing of “Back Home Again in Indiana.”

“It was always my favorite part of pre-race,” three-time winner Dario Franchitti said. “I wish they would have recorded Jim singing and continued to use it. I can neither confirm nor deny that I used to sing along whilst sitting in my car.”

Indianapolis native Josh Kaufman, winner of the sixth season of “The Voice,” will perform the song this year with accompaniment by the Indianapolis Children’s Choir.

10. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    I always enjoy Monaco whether there is much passing or not. Not sure why.

scoobyla and Fuzz Nuts like this.
  11. YodaQuiversStern

YodaQuiversStern Turn and face the strange

Reputations:
    Meh. I used to feel that way, but auto racing has gone to crap. Also, there's a tropical storm in the Carolinas, so I bet NASCAR gets cancelled/moved.

12. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I have been to the 500 and 600 many times and there is nothing like the 33 Indy cars coming down the front stretch full speed. The sound and power is like something you can't imagine until you see it live. NASCAR is not even close to the Power of the INDY start. My friend that i went to high school and trade school with was on the pit crew for 5 Penske 500 wins.

He got me pit passes for the years that Dan Wheldon won his first with Danica 2nd and Sam Hornisch won his first the following year. They kick everybody out of the pits except essential press and work crews 1 hour before the race. He would hide us in Sam's pit and walk us out on to the track to stand with them on the front row as they got ready to fire the cars minutes before the race, that is usually when security caught up to us and sent us to the stands. I also got to stand in Victory circle beside Sam when he drank the milk. It is incredible being on gasoline alley walking around all of the legends of Indy. I took a good picture of of Michael and Marco walking to the grid together the year Michael entered the race.

Getting inside the garage is about the only access he could not get for me. They keep what goes on in there pretty top secret because they don't want anybody knowing what gears they are running or their wing angles. When Sam won, he came out before the race and said he changed their gears for the race setup because of the wind conditions. If you notice a special blanket on the wings before the race that is to hide their down force setup from the other teams. Teams like Penske, Andretti, and Ganassi are far more professional and well run than the other teams. A.J. Foyts guys walk around wearing un-tucked shirts with grease on them where the 3 i talked about are spotless and very clean cut.

The other Indy races i went to were at Richmond and that is more relaxed. He would bring me into the garage to watch them work on the car and i could do just about everything but sit in the car. He handed me the steering wheel which cost about 35K at the time and it is like a computer. He was able to get me hot passes so i could stand in their pit for the entire race. The one year Dario Franchetti was next to them and i stood next to Ashley Judd watching the the race on the pit box monitor. I also stood next to Gene Simmons as we filled out our paper work for our credentials.

I live in Charlotte and have been to the 600 many times but have not gone in about the last 5 years. It is a very long hot day and i think it rained the last 2 races i went to, it makes it even more miserable waiting hours for the track to dry. Here is hoping for good racing and Penske / Roush wins.

Macro57, Shithead, Fuzz Nuts and 5 others like this.
  13. Wangold

Wangold Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've been to many NASCAR races in many different states.

But I got to tell you, the advertisement overload is torturous!

14. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    I was at Indy several times for F1 races.......good times!!!!!

scoobyla and Stag like this.
  15. Stag

Reputations:

The Tech inspection is something you don't get to really see but it is pretty interesting to watch. They have a ramp that they roll the car on and an inspector lays on their back and checks everything underneath the car. In Indy, the decals and lettering is all painted on and not stickers. I guess they figured out that the stickers hurt aerodynamics. In NASCAR i think all of them cover the cars with the vinyl covering. The other thing that was interesting was how many times they take the car apart and go over every. They check, re check, and check again. Then before they go to the grid they put the fiberglass back on the cars with what looked like allen bolts and cover those holes with a special tape or sticker to help the aerodynamics.

The drivers are all very small like jockeys. If i had to guess they all seam like they are 5'-4" and 130 lbs. They have zero body fat. I don't think A.J or Rick Mears ever worried about their body size when they raced.

16. potroast

Reputations:
    God Bless America :salute:

[​IMG]

Shithead and Stag like this.
  17. Scarlett Ohara

Scarlett Ohara VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    So far it's a go.
    @43

18. Stag

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

I remember getting this for Christmas as a kid, probably around 79 or 80

lovetalkradio likes this.
  19. Rocinante

Rocinante Well-Endowed Member Gold

Reputations:
    What is the attraction of cars going around a track?
    Do you wait for them to crash? Is that the excitement of this sport?

20. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    On TV the announcers were talking about Hamilton's three year $150 million contract. The top F1 drivers earn an insane amount of money.