Thoughts on Howard & Jackie after 20 years...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Oh-Lee-Oh, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Oh-Lee-Oh

Oh-Lee-Oh New Member

Reputations:
    I'm new here. Posting from Los Angeles.

I was speaking with a friend over the weekend about the Howard Stern Show. We are both Jackie fans. Anyway he referred me over to this site to post my thoughts. I started listening to Howard Stern in 1995. I was 14 years old. It's been 20 years since I first saw the show on "E!" and now here I am at age 34 writing this.

As for the Howard Stern show itself, I stopped being a regular listener after Jackie left the show, I think what, in 2001? (Yes, I just confirmed it on Wikipedia.) The show just wasn't the same without him there. I recall Howard blaming Jackie saying he was too greedy, and especially how Howard was saying that no other writer was getting paid what Jackie was getting, etc. -- I suppose I missed having him on the show but I also did agree with Howard that he was making the wrong decision. Even though I stopped being a regular listener, I still listened enough to know what was going on, and that probably went on until about 2009 or so, before Artie tried killing himself.

Now, I don't know why I stopped listening in 2009 - but I think I started to become disgusted with the show, or mainly disgusted with Howard. I had moments from the time I was a teenager where I thought Howard was wrong, but perhaps finally 5-6 years ago I started to really despise him.

I suppose it started with the financial crisis that hit hard in 2008. I was struggling, my parents struggling and fighting due to the stress, and seeing the same thing happening with most of my friends and their families as well. People losing jobs, losing their businesses, etc.

I saw all this suffering - and then I see this guy who has earned probably a billion dollars or so, or at the very least $500+ million dollars, complaining about his life and being so whiny when there's so much suffering around. Even people on his own staff - I don't know how much is real and how much is fake, but I started to really despise people making fun of Scott the Engineer (mainly when Howard would talk shit and berate him). Sure, he's a kind of negative person, and he may be incompetent at times (or at least he's portrayed that way), however he's a working man, and he provides for his family and he's not wealthy but he works on the "greatest" show of all time... so why is he struggling?

That's the thing that really got to me... why are so many people on Howard Stern's staff struggling? How could Howard Stern, as the leader of the whole organization of the empire that is known as the Howard Stern Show... how could he allow himself to life such a life of luxury when his own people who bust their butts to make the show work have to struggle?

I don't understand why Howard must hoard his money. Why have these guys go out and work during the weekends and be away from their families? Howard treats it like some great privilege that people are allowed to become quasi-famous on his shows so that they can then earn a few extra bucks on the weekend... and I see that as no different than a guy eating a prime rib and then tossing the bone on the floor to his dog and telling the dog how lucky he is to have such a great master.

...it was then I really started thinking that Jackie did the right thing by leaving. However, I think he should have left more angrily and more loudly. I mean, really - it was *in name* the HOWARD STERN show... but really, it was the Howard, Robin, Fred, and Jackie show. Howard can call Jackie just a "writer" or whatever all he wants - the point is what made him great on the show was his actual interaction with him and the others.

Yet... because it's "the HOWARD STERN show" I guess he somehow managed to just take the bulk of it all for himself. I mean, I recall when I heard the news about the $500 million. Couldn't he just pay everyone on his staff a minimum of a million dollars and still make millions? I'm not saying he should have to give his money away... but I do find it repulsive when a man as wealthy as he can't even take care of his own people and then complains to millions of others in a way that average people can't relate to.

Anyway - I think Howard Stern will ultimately go down in history as a greedy sellout. Unfortunately, Jackie won't be as remembered, but those who know the history the best will know that he was the first and only original major player of the show (with possible exception of John Melendez) to say "F YOU" to the shitty deal you got (whatever it was) while the others just let Howard take everything for himself. I can't imagine Robin or Fred possibly thinking that the way things turned out was fair. Do they really think it's completely fine that Howard made hundreds of millions? I suppose Robin seems okay... but Fred? What about him? It just seems so wrong.

Anyway - I am a Jackie supporter for life and although I don't listen to talk radio, or really any kind of "crude" humor these days (somehow I got really old and "mature" really quick) but I will always remember how much he made me laugh and how he was my favorite on the show.

Would love to hear everyone else's thoughts, as I have a lot more I can write and rant about Howard... especially regarding John Melendez.

PS: My username is a throwback (?) to Jackie's old record label that Howard used to make fun of (Oglio Records?).

2. NyMarkNy

NyMarkNy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    TLDR

Cliff Notes?

octex likes this.
  3. Oh-Lee-Oh

Oh-Lee-Oh New Member

Reputations:
    Basically, Howard is a greedy sellout whiny asshole, and Jackie should have been paid a lot more as he made the show great and it hasn't been great since he left in 2001.

4. N Copter

N Copter Shot Dead Banned User

Reputations:
  5. Lola

Lola little-known member

Reputations:
    ok :coffee: I can agree with that
    now, tell us which shed member told you about this place...we want names.

6. Oh-Lee-Oh

Oh-Lee-Oh New Member

Reputations:
    My friend John -- but as I recall he is more of an occasional reader, and not participant in this site. We spoke about Howard on I think Friday night and he just sent me the link for the site today.

7. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    Welcome. Now leave your car keys in the bowl by the door and make sure to PM me with your SSN, credit card numbers and bank routing information. My father is an important Nigerian prince.

8. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    computing

SomerSky and check1 like this.
  9. Lola

Lola little-known member

Reputations:
    well welcome, any thoughts as to whether Howard is wearing a wig? (I didn't read that novel you wrote above, just the cliff notes)

Quality Control likes this.
  10. Oh-Lee-Oh

Oh-Lee-Oh New Member

Reputations:
    I don't know anything about that but I would be surprised if a man in his 60s like Howard Stern can make his hair look that way naturally.

John Coktoaston, codeine and Lola like this.
  11. rockstarhair

rockstarhair Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Good read. You are know part of the shed hive. Let the hate set you free.

12. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

13. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    Great first post. Welcome.

SalsMasterShake and Caffeinated like this.
  14. DrDestouches

DrDestouches Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He's a :oy2:.

codeine likes this.
  15. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    What do you do for a living sir? Get off my phone.

codeine and DJ Retardo like this.
  16. fixer

fixer I'm Retarded you Jerk. On the Power.

Reputations:
    Are you of Asian descent?

17. Oh-Lee-Oh

Oh-Lee-Oh New Member

Reputations:
    Yes

18. fixer

fixer I'm Retarded you Jerk. On the Power.

Reputations:

There is no Caucasian, black, or Hispanic that would write that much. Goo For U. Love the first post. We all have worked for bosses like Howard. I can identify with Jackie too. Bust your balls for your employer, help him out when he is in a jam. When it's time for a raise and he's making money hand over fist he throws you a quarter. I would have walked too.

19. Slow

Slow My name is my name DawgShed News

Reputations:
  20. Oh-Lee-Oh

Oh-Lee-Oh New Member

Reputations:
    Thank you. Yes, in 2009, I quit my job in a similar fashion. I was a salesman at the time, and we received no salary, only commission. We paid for our own copies from the copy machine, we paid parking for our customers, we paid for our own business cards, etc. Some people were losing money working there. Anyway, one man just left and didn't come back for six months and they let him start working that day again. I, being a good guy, told my boss I was going to take a month off.

He said no. He said one week maximum. I asked him what kind of deal that is where I'm paying to work there and I can't even take a fucking one month vacation. I said, "What about that other fucking guy who was gone for six months?" -- "He just left and didn't tell us, and he came back, but he should have told us" -- "Oh, so because I'm being a decent human being and telling you I'll be gone for a month I can't?" -- "Yes." -- "Okay, I quit."

He then told me I had to write a resignation letter and do an exit interview, so I took a blank sheet of paper and a pen off his desk and wrote, "To management: I resign. Sincerely, (my name)"

Then, instead of a one month vacation I took a 6 week vacation. Visited Hawaii and three countries. Had sex with 12 women, though ten were prostitutes.

Night Ape likes this.