thoughts on why THSS is failing

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by RevHortonHeat, Jan 23, 2013.

1. RevHortonHeat

RevHortonHeat Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    So we all know Howchie has a hard-on for SNL, i think he probably fancies himself somewhat like Lorne Michaels. I believe that is the model that he is trying to base his show on. He believes that he can pick talent (though no one is as funny as he is in his mind) and put together an ensemble team that is truly creative.

I've noticed these topics HS brings up when talking to cast-members:

HS is fascinated by the competitiveness of the SNL writers and cast when trying to get noticed by producing the funniest skits. Howard tries to emulate this with his "writers meetings", notice how everyone is currently involved. Howard has now made everything on his show a "bit" and that is how you get air-time.

Howard believes these meetings are going to bring something relevant new and fresh. The difference - SNL pays for talent and if it doesn't work they get rid of them. Howard doesn't want pay for talent and will take cheapest hack available. Moreover, he is too spineless and doesn't want to take the effort of firing people and getting fresh blood in.

Here is Howard's Catch-22 and I think it also explains the state of the show currently. HS wonders why cast-members don't stick with a known bit or gimmick (Goatboy, etc.). Howard loves to take a funny idea and repeat it over and over and over until it is annoying. So the staff is expected to come up with funny bits - and repeat them ad nauseum. Tradio calls, Richards dad, Kennedy impersonations, Benjy vortex were funny the first couple (maybe a few) times - the 100th.....it's just sad.

I think Howard is in panic mode now with Malone/Liberty coming in and is trying to set up his show as the radio version of SNL. There have recently been statements that there is a lot of tension in the studio, so there is obviously pressure coming from somewhere.

Just a thought while I kill some time.

2. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Howard has gone full chutzpah.

3. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    Has nothing to do with paying for talent. The guy's gone soft. Became a complete p.c. pussy. Turned into everything he railed against. On top of all that, he got lazy.

You could rehire Jackie, Artie, Billy and Stuttering John and the show would still suck, because none of them would be allowed to do what they used to.

4. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    if y'all are still listening, he didn't fail

5. Dead Air Dave

Dead Air Dave Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Moving to satellite was the killer.

Nobody wants to pay for a space radio. Remember when cops, firemen, garbagemen, etc called in every day? Remember when the phone line was ALWAYS busy when u tried to call? Remember all the listener created content? Remember all the sponser cash that supported contests and prizes?

All gone because of satellite.

Howard got his marbles.

Yoko Ostrosky turning wiggy into a hamptons fag didn't help either

6. shitcunt

shitcunt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    don't confuse the gentle retard.

7. gyp rosetti

gyp rosetti New Member

Reputations:
    so he is failing?

8. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    i'm just messing with the op, because i don't feel he deserves any listeners.
    he succeeded monetarily. and will continue to if people listen, regardless if the show sucks

9. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    due to hormonal reasons, wiggy has turned into a woman

10. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Not failing, but why it failed, died and shriveled up and blew away. Howard didn't give a fuck. The horse vagina can't be all that good. He should have retired. The whole Sirius thing looks like a fucking embarrassment at this point. Who could have guessed that Howard was going to self-destruct? Ugly!

11. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He's constantly saying "there's no money in the budget"

12. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:

well, there isn't.

he took it all.

13. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The show is failing because Howard no longer takes an active part in his own show.

Once upon a time, Howard was part of the writing and creative process. When was the last time Howard actually took part in a produced bit? I'm not talking about the stupid games they play to give away sponsors money. I mean an actual produced bit like the old I Love Lucy parodies. It must be years.

The show has gone from "The Howard Stern Show" to "Howard Stern Presents". All he does now is emcee the show. Start off with a monologue,then introduce a bit or phoney phone call or song parody that he had absolutely nothing to do with. Then do a standard interview with a has been or never was...or worse, a never will be. Then straight to "Anything else Robin?" and an hour of Robin screwing up every news story she does.

What made the old Howard Stern show so great was it's unpredictability. Remember this time of year it was all about who's going to the Super Bowl party and what kind of shenanigans Jackie would get into? Or what could happen on a trip to Vegas? Those days are long gone. Now we all know what's going to happen before it does. The show and Howard have become "sigh" predictable.

14. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    :up::up:

15. username

username Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The meetings are a simple solution for Howard.
    Howard wants less work = Get the crew to do bits/scripts that he can use.

Remember. Its always about the Wig. Whats best for him. How he can use others as much as he can.

The monologue is a new low on the show.

Please also remember that the show only have 1 writer: Benjy. That explains a lot. The others just pitch ideas, its Benjy that have to do the job. (THHS have 3 writers: Benjy, Howard and Fred. Howard does shit. Fred's only job is to be a penguin laugh machine to Howard's "jokes". Its all Benjy)

16. j shmuck

j shmuck Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard no longer mocks idiotic celebrities and public figures (except for the acceptable targets)

Howard is desperate to be liked by the douchebags he once mocked (see the pathetic dunham backtracking)

Howard no longer can take a joke, laugh at himself, or take criticism........hence no real callers

Howard no longer talks about interesting aspects of his life some examples:
    i'm sure he has some real hilarious and candid thoughts about how his wife constantly leaves him to go out on redcarpets, bullshit charity events, hang with other bought and paid for woman
    I'm sure he has many other hilarious thoughts about how his marriage seems to be empty

Howard wants to be america's judge: hence a politically correct show. I don't give a shit that Howard no longer does gay jokes or mocks them like he does other segments of the population, rather it's the referring to the f-word, the hypersensitivity, and the rants about raising the community above all others that is nauseatingly condescending, phony, and self serving

Howard refuses to put a comedian in the studio to sit in for the show

The in-studio arguments and tension are gone. Howard-off limits, Fred-off limits, Robin- off limits, Gary- basically off limits. Sorry nobody wants to hear jason argue with depace

17. Double Blizz

Double Blizz New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I hope Malone makes him squeal [​IMG]

18. boomer1976

boomer1976 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    People listen, but do they pay? That is the big question isn't it.

19. j shmuck

j shmuck Well-Known Member

Reputations:

It has been "Howard Stern presents" for close to a decade now. The difference is that Artie was there to carry the show (outside of the interviews). The show took a noticeable dip once Artie was too fucked up to be entertaining and then when he was gone the voide was really felt.

20. RevHortonHeat

RevHortonHeat Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    i am really surprised that Sirius hasn't implemented a way to track who listens to what. IIRC early on it was stated that it was something that they could do but they received feedback saying that listeners didn't want people to know if they were listening to the playboy channel or not. interestingly i remember Sirius made you call in to request that channel - i think they stated that something like 90% of their subscribers had elected to do this.

i'm pissed because i subscribed in 06 due to my commute and i am probably counted towards HS bonus. i didn't start to listen to the show until late 06, listened through 09. now i'll check into it after reading through the listening thread or if something sounds interesting due to one of the posts.

i have no problem paying for Sirius because of the other content i listen to - hopefully Malone will come in and view it somewhat like every other media that exists and demand some sort of ratings to justify $$$ for budgets.