News Three Sisters Killed After Falling Into A Truckload Of Canola Seeds

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Oct 15, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    A girl, 13, and her 11-year-old sisters had been playing in a truck being loaded with canola seed when they became buried.
    WITHROW, ALTA.—Three young sisters were playing in their family’s loaded grain truck when they became trapped and suffocated in a dense pile of tiny canola seeds that experts say would have swallowed them like quicksand.

Thirteen-year-old Catie Bott, and 11-year-old twins Dara and Jana were buried around suppertime Tuesday during the busy harvest season on the farm near Withrow in west-central Alberta.

Their parents and neighbours worked furiously to free them from the truck and performed CPR, but two of the girls could not be revived. The third was taken by air ambulance to hospital in Edmonton, but she died overnight.

“Our kids died living life on the farm,” the parents said in a statement released Wednesday by RCMP. “It is a family farm. We do not regret raising and involving our kids . . . on our farm. It was our life.”

A family photo on Roger Bott’s Facebook page shows the three blond girls with their parents and brother sitting on some grass beside a farm truck, their faces glowing in the sun, as they have a picnic. Roger Bott is wearing a green T-shirt that reads “Born to Farm.”

The family is well-known and has roots in the area, said Ted Hickey, director of community and protective services with Clearwater County.

[​IMG]
    TODD KOROL / REUTERS

Wheat is dumped into a grain truck for transport in an Alberta farm. In another farm in Withrow, Atla., three girls were playing on a loaded truck of canola at a family farm while it was being filled from a hopper.

He rushed to the farm with other emergency workers to find the girls had already been pulled from the pile. People used shovels to free them but it took “extraordinary” effort, he said.

Their parents were in shock and relying on their Christian faith to help them, Hickey said.

“They were very stoic to the point of actually coming up to first responders and thanking them for all they did for their daughters.”

Sgt. Mike Numan, who teared up as he talked to reporters, said he couldn’t answer any questions about the accident. Exactly what happened is still under investigation.

“This is hitting all of us very hard,” he said. “Front-line responders are routinely called out to sad situations, but things are always harder for everyone when kids are involved.”

No one at the farm wanted to talk Wednesday. Metal grain bins, augers and a tractor could be seen in the yard but there was no sign of the truck.

Canola is a plant with a bright-yellow flower in the same family as cauliflower and cabbage. When crushed, the fine seeds produce oil that is used in everything from margarine to biodiesel.

Glen Blahey, an agricultural safety and health expert with the Canadian Agricultural Safety Association, said a load of seed acts like quicksand. It only takes seconds for a person to become trapped and a few minutes to suffocate.

He called for more education about the danger.

“I don’t mean to criticize the parents of those three children that were lost but, at the same time, as caregivers we’re responsible to protect them,” Blahey said.

Tammy Alexander is a family friend who had the Bott children over for piano lessons on Tuesday afternoons when they were finished with morning home-school sessions.

The oldest, Catie, was always carrying a book and loved reading to Alexander’s four children, she said. Dara was outgoing and a quick learner. Jana, who loved making crafts and baking, was a kind spirit.

“At church functions . . . she was always setting up tables and she was just always very helpful.”

Alexander said the girls were avid curlers and swimmers and played softball. When their families got together, they all played cards and board games.

Brad Volkman, superintendent of the Wildrose School Division, said the children stopped attending public school in nearby Condor two years ago, but still attended Christmas concerts and brought in baking for staff and students.

Pastor Brian Allan of the Withrow Gospel Mission said Roger Bott is a worship leader at the church. Neighbours of the family will be helping them finish harvest.

“There are guys down there working around the farm right now, cleaning things up and just trying to get things back to some sense to normal,” he said.

Joe Bauers and Scarlett Ohara like this.
  2. AllAboutHim Ed

AllAboutHim Ed #mypurpose VIP

Reputations:
    Very sad. Cue the ghouls...

Tmmy Sirianni, LaserT, stash and 6 others like this.
  3. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Oh my Lord, what a horrible tragedy. I feel for those parents. :(

WHTHS, ZevonFan, Tracy and 13 others like this.
  4. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I read once that canola is called rapeseed

they were wise to change that name

imott, lilbuddy67, Petal and 3 others like this.
  5. greenchiclets

greenchiclets Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  6. Ashbeard

Ashbeard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That's awful. I feel bad for the parents. Farms are the most dangerous workplace I've ever seen. I watched my buddy get caught in a spinning tractor tire and almost get killed. There is no safety, everything they do is just the way it's always been done. I was cleaning a pen once and the ammonia was so strong I almost passed out before getting to fresh air.

GIRLY, bdbx18, WHTHS and 4 others like this.
  7. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:

Cannot imagine losing a child, let alone three.

GIRLY, bdbx18, WHTHS and 8 others like this.
  8. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    They still call it that in the UK:

[​IMG]

9. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    My cousin was killed when he was 17. My aunt was a zombie for years after that. I can't imagine losing 3 kids.

GIRLY, bdbx18, WHTHS and 11 others like this.
  10. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

yummy, virgin, and rape all on one label

that shit must sell itself

Rescued Owl, beetlejosh, Cunt and 3 others like this.
  11. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    I pray to God I never find out what that's like.

bdbx18, WHTHS, Bye You! and 7 others like this.
  12. Krinkle

Krinkle What?

Reputations:
    Why did the dip shit parents let them play in it in the first place? They're farmers, I'm sure they know how dangerous that job can be.

RIP little ones.

ravenrules, Turkeyneck, stash and 2 others like this.
  13. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    My heart breaks for those parents.

GIRLY, WHTHS, Turkeyneck and 2 others like this.
  14. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    Obviously, I have no idea what happened that day, since I wasn't there, but I'm going to lean toward the idea that the parents were busy working, and just didn't know the kids were playing near such dangerous equipment. And, I'm sure those kids were warned about playing near the equipment. But, like kids everywhere, they don't always do what their parents tell them to do.

It's just a horrible tragedy. My heart breaks for those parents.

15. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The parents should have taught the girls common sense and what is dangerous on a farm instead of saying they have no regrets.

16. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I call it Bill Cosby oil :derp:

GIRLY, Bye You!, LobsterTails and 3 others like this.
  17. Krinkle

Krinkle What?

Reputations:
    I hope that's the case, actually allowing them to play there is profoundly stupid. It's an awful story. I couldn't imagine losing a child, but three? Jesus, how do you go on after that?

18. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    Yep...like I said, I pray I NEVER find out.

19. Rockside7

Rockside7 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Jesus, what a horrible tragedy for that family.

20. Krinkle

Krinkle What?

Reputations:
    Me too.

My oldest is a grown man, and I still worry like a lunatic when he's running late.