Time To Start Passing Out More Drugs...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Mar 25, 2013.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    [h=1]1 in 5 N.Y. city preteens have mental woes[/h]
    • By CARL CAMPANILE
    • March 25, 2013

More than 145,000 city children — roughly one in five — between 6 and 12 struggle with mental illness or other emotional woes, a new study has found.
    The city Health Department’s analysis shows that 6 percent of kids in that age range have been diagnosed with ADHD, depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety and other behavioral problems. That’s 44,000 children.
    A survey of parents also reveals that 14 percent of undiagnosed kids — about 101,000 children in that age group — “have difficulties with emotions, concentration, behavior or getting along with others.â€

Furthermore, it’s likely that the severity of mental-health problems among youngsters is even worse than indicated. Survey limitations don’t capture the full extent of the problem, officials said.
    “Undiagnosed conditions were not captured in Child Community Health Survey data. Therefore, prevalence estimates . . . likely underestimate true rates of mental-health conditions,†the study said.
    Officials said mental illness is underreported because social stigma prevents parents from seeking help, they don’t recognize certain behaviors as a mental-health problem, or the child’s behavior does not interfere with others. Also, access to a health-care professional may be limited.
    The survey, based on 2009 data and funded with support from singer Paul Simon’s Children’s Health Fund, showed that:
    * ADHD was the most common diagnosis: 4 percent, or 26,000 children.
    * Oppositional defiant disorder/conduct disorder was the second-most common: 2 percent, or 15,000 children.
    * Boys are three times more likely than girls to be diagnosed with a mental illness — 9 percent to 3 percent.
    The study pointed to lapses in treatment. Only two-thirds of kids with a mental-disorder diagnosis received medical help in the prior year, including 36 percent who received medication. Only 17 percent of kids whose parents identified them as having behavioral problems got assistance.
    Identification and treatment of mental illness is crucial in helping children adapt and function.
    For example, children with behavioral problems were six times more likely to have a learning disability in school and twice as likely to suffer from other health ailments, such as asthma and sleep deprivation.
    The Health Department insisted the city rates were in line with national figures. The department also said it offers extensive mental services through its Family Resource Centers and public-school clinics.
    It encourages families to call the 24-hour hot line LifeNet (1-800-543-3638) to connect to services.
    “Over 400 schools offer mental-health services, either as part of school-based health centers or via dedicated mental-health clinics,†said a Health Department spokesman, Sam Miller.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/in_city_preteens_have_mental_woes_z3NTWFgdVioO0n804SZhWK

2. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...sounds like shit parenting might be at play here along with inner city living and a junk food diet. i didnt read the entire thing.

3. DaBUU

DaBUU Active Member

Reputations:
    9 times out of 10, a child is going to be in the image of their parents. Are we surprised by these numbers?

4. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    I think the ADHD diagnosis needs to be reigned in. It's probably diet-related -- too much sugar.

I also think that parents are very quick to put them on ritalin.

That's probably the vast majority of these diagnoses.

5. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    I agree with this. Parents have given up their parenting rights to the Government and agree with anything they say. Also, parents these days are to busy playing with their phones and video games to raise their kids. I agree with you, I bet "most" of these kids need parenting and a good diet.

6. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    When I was growing up your parents used to beat you until you straightened out. Now everyone's medicated. I miss the good old days . . . :(

7. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    That's true in a lot of cases. Before the state eliminated the program my wife worked with kids with attention disorders and autism. On the milder side of the attention disorder spectrum these kids were just high energy children that could have avoided the drugs and intervention if they just had parents that found ways to give them some exercise and structure in their lives. The parents were often happier with the drugs, their kids were easier to handle and needed less attention that way.