Tipping of the Amazon.com Prime Now driver?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Lucky Pierre, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Lucky Pierre

Lucky Pierre Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Depending on your zip code, Amazon now has a service called "Prime Now" where they can delivery certain products, depending on availability, to your house in two hours.

They automatically add the "recommended" tip:

[​IMG]

How do you feel about this?

2. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    Like all tipping, it's optional, you do have the ability to back out the numbers to zero. However, like all tipping, we all know there is a price to pay for not playing along - service will suffer, boxes get damaged or lost, "accidentally" placed in the sprinklers, etc.

3. HowieHasBeen

HowieHasBeen VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    It's probably how they pay their drivers. Must be like Uber.

4. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    This is for Prime customers, meaning you're already paying $99 each year just for the service.

5. Bristol Chicken

Bristol Chicken Free Range and Loving It Gold

Reputations:
    You reminded me I have a $100 dollar Amazon gift card.
    So I can get a Fleshlight delivered to my house?

6. suckemnuckledus

suckemnuckledus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I would rather tip after and give the person cash. I'm sure Amazon will clip some of that tip. Bezos needs more money!!

7. Beth Onostrosky

Beth Onostrosky Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Everybody wants a tip. How about you just do your fucking job or go work for another place that doesn't force you to beg for tips. I gladly tip for exceptional service, but people expect it for more and more things lately.

8. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    Correct.

This is their version of Uber. They outsource this to the lowest bidder who pays their employees as little as possible with the expectation that customers will augment their lack of income with tips - which means more profits for them.

9. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    No cash is allowed. But you can go back in and change the amount up or down depending on how things went

10. Honkey Donkey

Honkey Donkey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Play it cheap . Just don't open the door to get the package until they drive off.
    Seriously though , I would tip the dude .

DiamondGoddess and Turbongr like this.
  11. suckemnuckledus

suckemnuckledus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If I hand the guy a 10 spot you think he would turn it down?

12. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    Yes, the Mr. Pink explanation. People who insist on tipping never, ever tip other employees in the exact same position - the poor soul slaving away at the Dry Cleaner, the kid standing on his feet all day at Subway, the lifeguard at the pool, the hotel front desk clerk and 100 trillion other examples.

In California and many other states, all workers including all servers and bartenders make at least minimum wage.

SillyOldMan and Beth Onostrosky like this.
  13. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    Yes, they could get fired.

scoobyla likes this.
  14. Artie Laugh

Artie Laugh ****

Reputations:
    What were the two items you needed in less than two hours?

15. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    For $5 on a $20 item, I'll drive to the fucking store myself.

16. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    O.C.-based drivers sue Amazon Prime Now, Scoobeez for denying them wages, benefits
    Just weeks after the delivery service Amazon Prime Now debuted in the region, four drivers who worked out of an Irvine distribution center have filed a lawsuit claiming they were wrongly denied benefits and wages by being classified as independent contractors.

Three of the four plaintiffs live in Orange County and include Taree Truong and Khaleed Alkojak, both of Garden Grove, and Olga Georgieva of Huntington Beach. Cynthia Miller of Victorville is also a plaintiff in the lawsuit, which was filed Tuesday in Los Angeles.

“Amazon’s mission to deliver ‘Now’ at no additional cost to its customers is being funded by the delivery drivers,” said attorney Beth Ross of Leonard Carder LLP in a statement. “Unlike the drones that Amazon hopes to eventually replace them with, these drivers are human beings with rent to pay and families to feed.”

Ross has asked the court to certify the case as a class action lawsuit.

Prime Now delivers select Amazon products in under two hours to cities in Orange and Los Angeles counties. The e-commerce giant uses Scoobeez, a delivery provider that employees hundreds of independent drivers who work out of Amazon warehouses, including the Irvine location. Scoobeez also was named in the class action lawsuit.

In the suit, the drivers – who no longer work for Scoobeez – contend that because they did not get to pick which packages to deliver and could not refuse to deliver packages, they were employees and not independent contractors. Employees must be provided with overtime pay, lunch breaks and worker’s compensation, benefits not afforded to independent contractors.

The lawsuit contends Amazon Prime Now drivers earn $11 per hour and make deliveries using their own vehicles while paying for gas and other car-related expenses out of pocket.

“By the time drivers pay for required expenses like gas, maintenance and car insurance they are barely getting by. This is a clear abuse of the independent contractor designation,” Ross said.

Drivers also work regular shifts and wear Amazon Prime Now uniforms.

“When I was hired, I was told that I would be paid $11 an hour plus tips and $2.50 per delivery,” said lead plaintiff Taree Truong in a statement. “In September, I had to sign a new contract that eliminated the delivery fee. But I never see an accounting of what tips I receive, because everything is paid through an app. I have no way of knowing whether or not I have been paid what I am due.”

Truong worked as a full-time delivery driver from Sept. 10 to Oct. 5, according to court documents.

The Amazon-Scoobeez lawsuit comes on the heels of two similar court cases. Ross also sued FedEx Ground over a similar independent contractor dispute and settled the case for$227 million. Uber drivers also sued, claiming they have been misclassified as contractors.

Scoobeez and Amazon Prime Now did not immediately return requests for comment.

DiamondGoddess likes this.
  17. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    Irrelevant.

18. Artie Laugh

Artie Laugh ****

Reputations:
    This

Muffler likes this.
  19. Donkeyboy2190

Donkeyboy2190 Never earned a dimes

Reputations:
    That is bullshit about not having visibility to your tips.

wife is a whore and Turbongr like this.
  20. Beth Onostrosky

Beth Onostrosky Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was at a local brewery once and the guy who spent 15 seconds pouring a drink looked at me and sighed because I didn't put a tip in his jar. Meanwhile there was a guy behind him hand lifting kegs of beer so I gave him the tip in front of the poof behind the counter.