Tom Leykis Any Good? (Guest on Dick & Artie)

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by Peau de Soie, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Over the years the guy never made an impression on me, other than seeming squat, bloated, self-important, and with weird stringy hair. But I've only seen him on TV once or thrice in 20 years, and never heard his radio show.

So he was on the Artie show and discussing his move to podcasting, the freedom it brings, how his small cheapo sponsors pay the bills and tolerate his outrageousness because they're fans, etc. He was sounding lucid and mildly interesting, and then the boys encouraged him to mention one of the bits he was able to perform with all his new-found freedom...

"Free Abortion To the 10th Caller"

My hopes immediately sank. I can't think of a more hackneyed grade school attempt at shock jockery than that.

Is this guy ever good on the radio, or should I continue to pass?

2. AuntDolly

AuntDolly Musculature Gold

Reputations:
    I was grossed out when I saw that Leykis was a guest, so I won't listen.

He was an unfunny pig when on the radio in LA several years back. I tried to listen to him in order to form my own opinion as opposed to what others said or wrote about him (most of it negative). I lasted less than a week during my hour+ commute home at night. Complete jerkoff. It's incredible that he's had 3 marriages, although the same could be said for Rush. It's a man's world.

Don't waste your time. Clipping toenails or flossing teeth is time much better spent. Truly.

3. Booey Logic

Booey Logic Member

Reputations:
    Dom Buchwald client alert!!! :jrolleyes:

4. Peau de Soie

Reputations:

Thanks for the feedback! Good to know my impressions were accurate. :)

5. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Oh is that what's going on? Sheesh, I gotta get out of that guy's world already.

6. onefourthree

onefourthree Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I actually think Leykis is a very smart guy, and occasionally he will do an hour where he talks current events or local (LA) politics or topics. I think he's good at that. He also does a wine tasting show that's pretty good. However when he's doing "Leykis 101", he's a complete waste of airtime. If you have heard one hour of Leykis 101 you have heard it all. Like all shock humor, it can be marginally funny for a split second, but it's all the same after that. Very predictable. And the callers he attracts are complete morons, even more idiotic than some of the retards that call in to Stern. Apparently Leykis believes going the "lowest common denominator" route is his best chance at ratings. Which may be true, but to me it's a shame he has decided to continue down that path, because I actually feel he could be an interesting broadcaster if he used a different format.