Top Gear Season 22 episode 06

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by RenchFries, Mar 2, 2015.

1. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    Top Gear: Series 22, Episode 6

• Jeremy and James attempt to rescue Richard from a remote area of Canada
    • Jeremy power tests the Lexus RC F coupe
    • Star in a Reasonably Priced Car: Gillian Anderson

Episode Guide
    No stream available yet.

Richard Hammond is dropped into the remote, frozen wastes of Canada to test a watch with a built-in emergency beacon. Normally, activating the device would summon a vast international rescue crew, but in Hammond’s case, the distress signal is sent directly to Jeremy Clarkson and James May who are disorganised, disinterested and very many miles away. Eventually, the pair get their hands on two machines they believe are suitable for the job and set off on an epic adventure to find their colleague.

Also in this show, Clarkson is on the track in the new 471-horsepower Lexus RC F coupe whilst star of The Fall and The X-Files Gillian Anderson tries her hand in the Reasonably Priced Car.

Star in a Reasonably Priced Car
    Gillian Anderson
    1:48.50

Screenshots
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

John Mahlin likes this.
  2. RenchFries

Reputations:
    Awesome episode. Best one of the season so far. That Ford F150 Raptor and the Chevy Silverado are bad-ass. Amazing cinematography as always, too. Canada is gorgeous.

John Mahlin likes this.
  3. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    I catch their shows live on Sundays occasionally, but I do get tired of Clarkson's anti-American snipes, he's another one of those insecure Brits that must build himself up by tearing down the U.S.

4. blckknight60

blckknight60 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    can't take a joke? stop being so overly patriotic

5. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:

There are jokes, and then there are endless sarcastic snipes! Did you see the evening with the Top Gear Hosts? They played video of fans asking questions, there were a few that made you wonder if they were actually speaking English. But when the gal from New York asked a question, that big blow hard had to make a scene and ask the audience if there was a translator because he couldn't understand her. Wow, that was a funny joke! :facepalm:

I've watched that show for years and the examples are endless.

6. RenchFries

Reputations:
    Quit being a pussy. It's British humor. They make fun of everybody. I'd say they're way more relentless towards the Germans. If that shit offends you, you don't get the show.

John Mahlin, Mulletude and check1 like this.
  7. SternsEgo

SternsEgo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was disappointed with the last episode I thought they were gonna do something cool with the Laferrari, but I guess ferrari said no. I haven't seen Ep 6, hopefully sometime this week, I always do like the u.s challenges.

I gotta agree tho. TG UK is sooooo freaking bias when it comes to american cars. I know Hamster is a secret american lover, and Clarkson owned a GT, but overall the bias toward american cars is just annoying. Funny my first car a 07 charger SE is holding up a hell of a lot better then my mercedes ML, biggest piece of shit on the planet...honestly only way I would own another mercedes is if someone paid me.

8. RenchFries

Reputations:

The current rumor is they will do a special episode by the end of the year, featuring the three cars on a legendary track where the Stig will drive them.

They drove a Ford F150 and Chevy Silverado last episode and loved them. Nothing but praise there. A couple of episodes back, they also praised the new Corvette very highly. They're not biased, it's British humor, which gets misunderstood as sarcasm a lot. It's their way of ball-busing, and it's hilarious. You ever notice how much they shit on the Germans? They get it way worse. Clarkson got in trouble a couple of seasons back when he complained about the bad SatNav in a BMW, saying "it would only take him to Poland". :jj:

And, exceptions aside, it's simply true that a lot of American cars have terrible interiors and bad handling, sorry.

9. SternsEgo

SternsEgo Well-Known Member

Reputations:

It's been a pretty good season overall, the best is when they are not trying to hard, the indian christmas special was awful, I can't explain it, but lots of people agreed. The x-mass special with baby jesus stig was the great.

I know TG rips on anyone and everyone, which is always great. But.. when it comes to american vs. european, the euros always gotta win (and I immigrated from Europe 18yrs ago). I remember they did a review of the 300C, Clarkson went off on how bad it was. It seems when they are in the US they like american cars more, but cross the pond, it's a different story.

I dunno, it might have to do with my dad telling me how great Euro cars are, since he was raised in Europe. I believed it...till a few years ago, when I bought a benz. For around $70K I can get a V8 loaded jeep srt ooooor a V6 diesel mecedes ml...I go HEMI. The interior in my 2015 jeep is better than any mercedes. Just my 2 cents.

RenchFries likes this.
  10. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Exactly. It's ball busting.

HowiesWhorse likes this.
  11. RenchFries

Reputations:
    I liked the last Christmas special in Argentina. That was cool. The Vietnam special from a couple of years ago where they drove across the country on mopeds was bad-ass as well.

[​IMG]

And, well, in general, European cars are better than American cars. Sure, the French still haven't figured it out, but generally nothing can really touch what BMW, Audi and Mercedes come up with. They got that precision engineering shit down to a science.

The 300C is a crass, vulgar car, especially if you compare it to similar-sized Germans. It's a lot cheaper, so there's that, but I'd say the Krauts are still better at big luxury cars than anyone else. The 300C cool in its own way, and I'd happily drive one, but it just doesn't make the same kind of impression as an A8, 7-series or S-class.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for interiors...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I know that's not fair, because the A8 is more than twice as expensive, but BMW manages to make a nice interior in the much smaller 3-series, as well.

[​IMG]

I think the clip where they drove the Porsche Cayman GTS and the Corvette summed it up the best. American cars=raw power & value for money, European cars=precision engineering.

First clip around the 1 minute mark.

The conclusion of the clip is that they're catching up, and doing a good job of it.

Mercedes, like any car manufacturer, made a couple of stinkers. In the late 90s they made a bunch of cars that had serious rust problems. Maybe you just got bad luck.

And don't get me wrong, I don't think everything the big Germans do is wonderful. The entire BMW X-series is ugly and vulgar, anything smaller than the A4 by Audi us fugly, and Mercedes' entire small SUV line looks like shit.

SternsEgo and check1 like this.
  12. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:

First of all, a pussy would be someone that would do nothing if someone keeps kicking sand in your face. I'm close to 50 years old, believe me, I've seen plenty of British humor in my short life time. And I've had Sky Sat. for the last 13 years while living here in Europe, I know exactly what British humor is compared to them acting like arrogant assholes. And it doesn't stop with them, it's wide spread with their stupid snipes on other shows too. With all the talk and news shows in the U.S., it would be very difficult to find any clip of someone taking a cheap shot at the British even in the last several years.

As far as the statement that European cars just handle better then American cars? Are we comparing apples to apples or apples to watermelons? Sure you have certain MB's and BMW that are exceptional, and some Audi's. I'm not including high priced purpose built Porsche's, Ferrari's, and Lambo's. They handle great and I've driven some and owned one. But not every European car has superior handling, and 80% of Europeans don't even own or drive the finest of the European cars, they drive the small average underwhelming versions like most Americans drive simple cars for long commutes to work or to haul their families. It would annoy the hell out of me when I was a member of a big U.K. forum a few years ago called "AnotherSite", guys would watch TopGear and then come in and act like they're are experts on these cars and then bad mouth American cars. I would always ask them, how many have you owned or driven? American and European? It would be ZERO! But they always had a "friend" that had. :facepalm:

There was a show on Discovery several years ago and they did a fun comparison of certain U.S. vehicles to European. There was a Land Rover against a Jeep, and a new common Volvo Police Wagon against a big Crown Victoria cop car. This was done in Europe, the CV was a few years old and the Volvo was new with the upgraded sport package they all come with. The Crown Vic won the challenge including the chase handling obstacle course. the Volvo beat it on the braking tests, but they noted that the new CV's have bigger brakes and a new advanced anti-lock system that their test CV didn't have.

RenchFries likes this.
  13. daphnejoanes

daphnejoanes Vodka Swilling Cat VIP

Reputations:
    The needing a translator to understand American English is ok. We had a colleague from our London office here in NYC and we constantly asked him are you speaking English? He would say I could ask you the same question. Just busting balls.

14. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Top Gear is The greatest show ever and that last episode was great. I also happen to like dry British wit and European cars.

15. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    My biggest problem is that every scenario is so contrived. There's no way he was on the mountain for several days, there were already tracks in the snow going up the mountain, the camera crew seemed to be keeping up in these conditions just fine, etc. In it's prime, a segment like this wouldn't have been drawn out to half the show. And we wouldn't have had the Peugeot segment from last week at all.

16. RenchFries

Reputations:
    Yeah, well, that's just the way it is.

They also did a special where Clarkson drove through Europe and commented on every country. When he went to the Netherlands, this was the very first bit of the episode. He was like "Despite having great beer, Belgium is boring and depressing. So why should I stay there, when a couple of miles further down the road, I can do THIS?"

[​IMG]

After that, he went on to interview some hookers. I wasn't annoyed by that, I found it hilarious. :dontknow: They don't treat Americans much different than any other country or peoples. There's the same kind of automatic superiority/making fun going on as a lot of Americans have towards Canada. Harmless ball-busting and all in good fun. I really don't see any problem here.

I've driven a lot of cars from all over the place. I go on road trips all the time with rental cars and cars of friends. The last car I rented in the US was a 2014 Ford Mustang. Great fun, plenty of power and very cool-looking, but shitty automatic gearbox, body roll, and vague steering, especially at higher speeds. I drove a 10+ year old BMW 5-series a couple of weeks ago, and that thing drove like a laser. Amazingly tight driving experience. Also drove a 2011 Dodge Charger a couple of years ago. Again, great power, lots of toys and cool looks, but the handling just isn't that great and the entire thing has a crude feeling to it.

The Germans are great at high-tech precision stuff. Volkswagen manages to get 150HP out of a 1.4L motor, and they combine it with a 7-speed double-clutch gearbox in the new Passat. That's a big car, and it accelerates FAST with that combination. I don't see GM, or any other company, pulling that kind of shit off at the moment.

And of course, the average car is boring and underwhelming everywhere. Especially French cars are horrible, and yet a lot of people buy them.

With all that said, last weekend I had the pleasure of test driving a Tesla Model S, and that's hands-down the most impressive can I've ever been in in every way. So there you go.

Sounds like a cool show. What was the final word on the Land Rover VS Jeep?

I'd take a Crown Vic over a Volvo any day, hell yeah.

HowiesWhorse likes this.
  17. Fuzz Nuts

Fuzz Nuts VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Great show. Should have had the Stig drive the RCF. If it really sucks that bad that would be the proof.

18. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Strange that he wouldn't at least test it. Maybe Stig was able to get a fast time and it completely negated Clarkson's review.

19. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    By far the best show on TV, I DVR everyone and usually watch it twice.

20. Mulletude

Mulletude I'm Big In The Hate Club, Ya Know VIP

Reputations:
    I like Clarkson. He did get himself in trouble over the eeny meeny rhyme below.

Or when an Asian was crossing a bridge and he said "but there's a slope on the bridge.."

Brit humor. They don't limit their jabs to Americans. J.C. is no exception.