News Top 'Nigerian prince' email scammer arrested

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Anyonenow, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Anyonenow

Anyonenow Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    DEAR SIR, I am Prince Kufour Otumfuo the elder son of the late King Otumfuo Opoku ware II whose demise occur following a brief illness. Before the death of my father, King Otumfuo Opoku ware II, I was authorised and officially known as the next successor and beneficiary of my father's property according to African Traditional rite. …

One of the top 'Nigerian prince' email scammers has been caught
    PRI's The World

August 01, 2016 · 5:00 PM EDT
    They’re commonly known as the 419, says Sam Olukoya, a journalist based in Lagos.

Part of the reason why the malware-hacked emails are so popular in Nigeria is because they’re inexpensive to construct. With almost 61 percent of the Nigerian population in poverty, it also makes for easy money.

“There are so many people trying to make a business out of this. It’s quite a thriving business. One, it’s so easy to establish you just need a few hundred dollars to buy a computer, to buy internet, to buy data and that’s business,” Olukoya says.

Despite the frequency of scamming emails in Nigeria, one skillful con artist stands out. The head of a multinational network was arrested Monday in the capital of Nigeria’s River State, Port Harcourt.

The network was headed by a 40-year-old Nigerian known as "Mike." The network, composed of over 40 individuals spread across Nigeria, Malaysia and South Africa, was behind global scams worth more than $60 million.

“You can understand how elaborate this type of scam is, if somebody has made $60 million, that doesn’t come easy,” Olukoya says.

“He’s believed to have hacked into the accounts of some medium- and small-scale establishments and using that to ask people to pay money to accounts which he controlled,” Olukoya explains. “These people were assuming that these accounts belonged to the companies they have been dealing with.”

His operations used malware to take over systems, fake email accounts to ask businesses for money and romance scams. According to Interpol’s website, it is believed that one fraudulent transaction by Mike and his associates landed them $1.5 million.

Even though Nigeria isn’t the only country to conduct advance-fee frauds, 51 percent of it comes from the western African country, according to a Microsoft report.

Across the internet, these scamming emails are known as the subject of a meme: the Nigerian Prince, a common type of social engineering scheme that includes a so-called Nigerian royal figure soliciting the reader to transfer thousands of dollars with the promise that they will reward them with a larger sum in the end.

http://www.pri.org/stories/2016-08-01/one-top-nigerian-prince-email-scammers-has-been-caught

2. Anyonenow

Anyonenow Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Guess I won't be getting my share of the $1,000,000.00 :crying:

3. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I used to work with a dude from Ghana. I got one of these scam emails. From Ghana, and promptly brought it to his attention. Turns out they don't even use fake names, and these two knew each other. So every now and then I'd get another one from the same dude, and my Ghanaian friend would fuck with me about it... Lol

4. RaeRae

RaeRae VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Good Riddance.

Gunt and Scarlett Ohara like this.
  5. Pitzarea

Pitzarea Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A friend from college had his email account hacked. A bunch of us received this urgent letter begging for money. He's one of those stupid white guilt losers who travels to third world dumps, so the notion that he was stranded was entirely plausible. Long story short: I deleted the email and simply carried on living my life.

6. larryluncg

larryluncg Empty VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Did he drink at work?

7. Mack

Mack Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Did he take "nips" on the job, or shit himself in his cubicle?

Anthony223, Gusbuss, Chigs and 3 others like this.
  8. Mack

Mack Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :mad:

9. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Feel the Gern

Reputations:

I knew that dude, too...

Me and him and the drummer from Molly Hatchet killed a case of Southern Comfort one time

on empty stomachs :grad:

iloveyoubut and scoobyla like this.
  10. Father O'Blivion

Father O'Blivion Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Has Obama invited him to the White House yet?

11. Bobbowl

Bobbowl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    A friend of mine was a cop in Chicago, you had this guy from Nigeria on the hook for about two months with a promise of $300,000. Actually convinced him to fly into O'Hare Airport to collect and along with four or five of his buddies proceeded to beat the crap out of him in the bathroom at the airport.

Trainwreckjm, babybear and Pitzarea like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Now, looky here. I gots yo damn money, you cheap Jew bastid!

(And things of dat nature.)

13. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:

:backlol:

larryluncg and Scarlett Ohara like this.
  14. TheLACritic

TheLACritic Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Sixt-one percent poverty? Wow. Why don't they implement a living wage there and cure the poverty?

15. Gunt

Gunt I don't have time to teach you to speak hobo. Gold

Reputations:
    Years ago I worked for MCI making relay calls for the deaf and hard of hearing. The service was free and accessible online. I would spend the majority of my time processing calls for Nigerian scammers who would call various businesses with a seemingly unending list of stolen credit card numbers and try to purchase large quantities of odd items. The hot ticket items back then were copies of Bill Clinton's biography "My Life" and portable blood pressure monitors. They would keep us on the line for hours calling business after business. It was incredibly frustrating.

A few of my co-workers and I would compile lists of the numbers they were calling from and turn them over to the cops anonymously. This was highly illegal and could have gotten us in a shit pile of trouble, but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't try to do something to stop these fuckers.

Glad these fucks were taken down finally.

16. rahboni

rahboni Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you want to waste a whole bunch of time, read the stories on the following site. It's about people who bait these email scammers.

http://www.419eater.com/

smellmyfinger likes this.
  17. iloveyoubut

iloveyoubut Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ghana needs to implement a hiring quota on this scam, say hire 20% whites.

18. MacTrekker

MacTrekker Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fast forward to 2:46

19. Gunt

Gunt I don't have time to teach you to speak hobo. Gold

Reputations:
    hahahaha yep pretty much.

20. MacTrekker

MacTrekker Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I heard that prank call for the first time recently.. Just about pisssd myself laughing. That poor women.

Gunt likes this.