Toronto police kill teenager

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by greyt, Aug 5, 2013.

1. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    apologies if this has already been discussed here but I have a feeling not much Canadian news makes it way down South and this is a huge story in Toronto right now. first of all, I have nothing but respect for America but I guess I used to think our police were slightly above some of the stories you hear about the LAPD and what not. Things seem to be changing though and there is a huge public outcry to bring criminal charges against this officer. bullet points.............mentally unstable teen on an empty street car brandishing a knife.....police officer fires nine shots and kills him. The kid obviously wasn't completely innocent but this seems excessive. media is trying to paint the officer as a steroid abusing hot head. I don't know what to think anymore. [video=youtube;Pi4In494rAg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi4In494rAg[/video]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head ~Would Like to Play~ Gold

Reputations:
    Have you ever seen the movie 'Jaws'?

3. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have seen and thoroughly enjoyed Jaws many times. If it has any relevance to my post then I'm completely missing it.

4. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Good thing being adjudicated as "mentally unstable" by someone on the internet after-the-fact makes cops knife proof.

5. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    hey, if he lunged at the cops or was even anywhere near them I would be on your side. from all evidence it seems like the cop in this instance was incredibly trigger happy. the police were barely on the scene when this happened.....it is not like this was a three hour stand off......they just showed up and put 9 rounds in him.

6. Gusbuss

Gusbuss VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Zimmerman is a cop in Canada now?

7. Cordoza Hotel

Cordoza Hotel Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've never been shot by police. I've also never waved a knife around at police. I think I'm onto something here.

8. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I hear you. Im not saying the dead kid is completely innocent but it still does not seem like the best way to handle the situation. public opinion in Toronto seems to feel the same way, although I am pretty sure this will be swept under the rug pretty quickly. the cop is suspended with pay for now. what do I have to do to be suspended with pay? that sounds alright to me.

9. Rodney21a

Rodney21a Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Cops can be psychopaths too:D

[video=youtube;bOrTWxblWWc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOrTWxblWWc[/video]

[​IMG]

10. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Even if you justify the first 3 shots,(which you can't as the kid was inside the streetcar not lunging out the door) how in hell do you get away with 6 more when he's down???

11. CaptainFrank

CaptainFrank Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Thanks for your expert analysis. You must have watched a lot of TJ Hooker to know what is correct and legal.

12. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    half way through the video they tase the kid too......after firing nine shots? you would think in this case the taser would be the ideal weapon to use but instead the cop almost instantly reaches for the gun. I'm not anti-cop but this seems hard to defend and I think something should be done. I already lost a lot of respect for the cops after the Toronto G-20 meetings (that's a whole other story) and this doesn't help.

13. CaptainFrank

Reputations:

Im sure the cops are devasted that you don't love them. You don't use a taser on someone with a knife... you use lethal force against lethal force.. you can use a taser if there is another cop there with a gun.. and only then.
    As for the g8... i have seen firsthand the career rioters who come to those summits, and the crap they pull... the cops should be smashing skulls like pumpkins on those jerkoffs.

14. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    instead of being snarky maybe you can try to defend the evidence in this video? I have defended the cops in similar situations many times but this one doesn't sit right with me. if you start swinging a knife around then you might have to deal with the consequences but I still hold the police up to a higher standard than this.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  15. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    did you even watch the video? there was a dozen other cops there with guns and the suspect was nowhere near them. as for the g8 summit meetings....I didn`t like the city turning into a police state (not an over exaggeration in this case) and the attitude of the police was horrendous during the whole ordeal. I agree that a lot of the protesters were just shit disturbers but that`s not really the point.

16. CaptainFrank

Reputations:

No, i would not try to defend the evidence based on a bad video that shows only one angle of an incident from far away. I was not there, and would not presume to know what the officer felt.

As with all police shootings, a grand jury will convene and decide if the officer acted properly. But here on the internet, all cops are blood thirsty killers who want to face criminal charges, dept charges and civil lawsuits just so they can shoot someone.

As for G8, those protestors in many cases are anarchist who go from city to city protestings, often violently, and try to provoke the police in order to create lawsuits.

17. sternski

sternski New Member Banned User

Reputations:

im glad that piece of shit is dead.

pulling his cock and a knife out in front of a 15 year old little girl?that kids gonna be traumatized and fucked for a while while you cocksucking liberal faggots bemoan the fact that hes dead and play the "hes a good boy" card and the big bad police were meanies......fuck him.....if hes doin this shit now the police just killed off a future sociopath killer.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/08/04/sammy_yatim_what_happened_in_the_words_of_witnesses.html

[h=1]Sammy Yatim: What happened, in the words of witnesses[/h]

18. LaReineBlanche

LaReineBlanche Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Let me see if I have this straight...a platoon of cops show up for a dude with a knife, the dude doesn't drop the knife so one of the cops pumps 9 bullets into him (3 shots then a pause then another 6 while the guy was down!), then after shooting this person 9 times it dawns on the officer to taze the guy who was probably already dead by then?

If the suspect had a gun and refused to drop it I would be fully in support of the cops shooting him but the guy had a knife and from the video he looked to be no where near the cops and the cops had non-lethal options that should have been used. And it is telling that only one cop actually shot the guy because the other police seemed to realize that a person with a knife at such a distance was not a lethal threat to them.

19. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    The cop was wrong.

If the suspect was contained in a bus, they should've thrown in some tear gas or foam or something non-lethal.

A knife?! The suspect was only a threat to himself, at that point.

20. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    Were the police at that point sure that the trolley was cleared of all other passengers? If they weren't aware if there were still people cowering on the trolley then I can understand shooting him. If they knew he was the only one then, from this angle, it doesn't look so good. Further evidence could change my opinion of course.