Tragedy For The Stern Family...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Nov 11, 2013.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    [h=1]Factory fire causes nationwide knish shortage[/h] Published November 11, 2013
    Associated Press

• [​IMG]

COPIAGUE, N.Y. – A fire at a factory billed as the world's biggest maker of knishes has created nationwide shock and oy for those who can't seem to find the Jewish treats anywhere.
    Kvetching has been going on at delis, diners, food carts and groceries since the six-week-long shortage began, but lovers of the square fried doughy pillows of pureed potatoes may not have to go without much longer. The factory promises an end to the knish crunch by Thanksgiving, which coincides with the start of Hanukkah.
    "Our customers ... are calling us saying they are literally searching supermarkets and stores and they're all asking when we'll be back," Stacey Ziskin Gabay, one of the owners of the 92-year-old Gabila's Knishes, which sells about 15 million knishes a year.
    A fire Sept. 24 at the Gabila's plant in Copiague, Long Island, damaged the machinery that makes the company's biggest seller -- "The Original Coney Island Square Knish," which also come filled with kasha or spinach.
    Gabila's, which also makes matzoh balls, blintzes and latkas, sells the knishes both online and at retail outlets around the country, with New York, Florida and California leading the sales.
    "For the last month I haven't had any knishes -- my heart is broken," said Carol Anfuso, a native New Yorker who has been without a knish to nosh since the BJ's Wholesale store near her Atlanta home suddenly stopped stocking them.
    But Anfuso didn't learn of the shortage until she visited her sister for lunch at the Pastrami King restaurant in Merrick, Long Island, and found that it was out of stock, too.
    Pastrami King owner Joe Yamali said he normally sells about 2,000 knishes a month.
    "It brings you back to your childhood and they're just so delicious," Yamali said. "Gabila is square and fried. You bite into it and the potato oozes out. It's very good."
    Katz's Delicatessen, the 125-year-old landmark on Manhattan's Lower East Side, ordinarily sells about 6,000 knishes a month.
    "I usually get four to take home," grumbled Brooklyn native Forrest Gurl. "Their crunchiness, their hard corners, the mustard and sauerkraut you put on them. You can't beat a knish."
    Like most places, the round, baked version is still available. But Gurl harumphed a familiar sentiment of knish devotees: "Who gets round knishes?"
    Jesse Hochberg, a retired IT employee, didn't know there was a shortage until he got to the Katz's counter.
    "I miss them," he said. "It's something I grew up with. I like the taste, sliced with mustard. ... I always look for them, and I haven't seen them recently."
    Katz's chef Kenny Kohn has grown weary of explaining the shortage to customers. Along with the pastrami sandwiches, he serves up a typical New York attitude to the ongoing complaints.
    "Get over it! Get a life! It's just a knish."

2. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    WGAS WGAF

Really. If people get that worked up about a temporary shortage of knishes they are obviously lacking any substance in their lives.

3. Beths Arab

Beths Arab Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    :bigcry: OMG say it isn't so!

4. 50Foundation

50Foundation Member

Reputations:
    He probably hoarded them all

5. Murphy

Murphy mglw'nafh fhthagn-ngah VIP

Reputations:
    I thought you were gonna tell us that factory that makes the little passover chocolate coins was destroyed. The Wig can still eat his shekels!

6. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    Where will Howie buy his "portion"?

7. GIRLY

GIRLY OV

Reputations:
  8. gd9tsd9tas9sa9

gd9tsd9tas9sa9 New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Thank goodness , I thought it was another dead kitten

9. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    I've had that brand. Gabila's sucked. its a mass-produced, processed crap. knish innards are supposed to be lumpy because the potato, garlic & onion filling is made and mashed by hand. Theirs is pureed in an industrial blender. the casing is supposed to be layered and crimped shut like a pocket pie. Gabila's are preformed in an extruder and the filling paste is injected. blech. when i was a kid we bought fresh made knishes from trucks on the street. they were oily and lumpy and tasted great. Gabila's fire should have been allowed to burn longer and finish the job.

10. username

username Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    What about shortage of marbles?
    The nose people always complain that other have their marbles.

90% of Howards anger is because other have his marbles
    10% of Howards anger is that he wants a big black cock in his ass (and he will come out the same day his parents die)

11. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Move to Israel. Problem solved. : oy::oy2:

12. N Copter

N Copter Shot Dead Banned User

Reputations:
    Back in high school I used to help out a friend who worked in his family pitzaria. I didn't do a lot but if they knew they were going to be busy I'd hang out and deliver a few pies around town. It was more a social hang out than job.

Anyway, I used to get people that would give me those gold coins as tips!!! I was 17, I had a car, I was getting laid and these fucking people tipped me chocolate coins!!! What the fuck? I would have rather had nothing than that mocking gesture.

13. Rocinante

Rocinante Well-Endowed Member Gold

Reputations:
    Typical Jews don't think to make the goddamn knishes themselves.

14. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    OY!

15. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They don't really eat knishes in Israel. Israelis are Middle Eastern and focus more on Middle Eastern food, such as falafel, hummus and the like. Knishes are more from Eastern Europe.

16. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "I usually get four to take home," grumbled Brooklyn native Forrest Gurl. "Their crunchiness, their hard corners, the mustard and sauerkraut you put on them. You can't beat a knish."

Knishes are not supposed to be crunchy or have hard corners. What the hell is this guy talking about?

17. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Should have remembered who did and then give change back in those chocolate coins.

18. JDDaBadAhz

JDDaBadAhz Active Member

Reputations:
    "Oh Howid this is haarible......I mean.....what is this?"
    [​IMG]

19. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    This.