WTF Training to take down an active shooter- would you take it?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MilkyDischarge, Aug 19, 2016.

1. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    Active shooter training gains popularity in Southwest Florida
    AVE MARIA, Fla. – Things can get really intense at Martial Arts Fitness Academy where Jason Gabauer offers a three-hour active shooter training course.

After the Zombicon shooting, the class filled up, so he offered another. After the shooting at Pulse nightclub, demand grew even more. Then there was the mass shooting outside Club Blu.

“You hear a lot of it could never happen here, it could never happen here, and now it’s started to,” Gabauer said. “It’s gotten closer. We saw Zombicon happen. We’ve seen Club Blu happen. We’ve seen Orlando happen, so it’s really kind of, from our perspective, on our doorstep.”

The course stresses a common motto: Run, hide, fight. But the last mantra, fight, becomes particularly important in Gabauer’s class.

“We will spend the better part doing the physically fight component, which we believe we’re a little bit different,” he said.

After a brief introduction, the class goes into full gear. The first step to survival is having someone who decides they will take charge. A second person then takes the role as back up.

Next, participants learn to remove a gunman’s weapon. First fake guns are used, but then real guns are thrown into the simulation.

“We spend a lot of time trying to take the weapon and actually reducing the threat by taking the weapon and by taking the intruder down or the active shooter down,” Gabauer said. “We will use real weapons. There’s no way to simulate that feel without actually putting your hands on the weapon.”

The role-playing becomes even more extreme when a second shooter is added without warning. Gabauer said the purpose to prepare people with the tools to survive the unexpected; it’s not about building heroes.

“You often hear people say ‘I don’t want to be the hero. I just want to survive,” he said. “We’re not trying to create a hero mentality. If you can get out, get out. We’re trying to create a self-preservation mentality.”

Gabauer’s academy can be found online and on Facebook. His active shooter course is $75 and is attracting the attention of Lee and Charlotte counties schools.

2. bluedevil30

bluedevil30 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Soldiers who have gone through basic training freak out when fired upon. What makes you think a civilian will do better with a few hours of class? When you start firing back at an active shooter ... you become his prime target.

MilkyDischarge likes this.
  3. FeetToTaste

FeetToTaste Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    We had to take active shooter training a few months ago. We trained how to grab the barrel of an assault rifle and lock our arms around the gun and the shooters wrist in order to disarm the shooter.

I was mostly thinking about the catered lunch that was going to follow the training, so I'm not going to be any help should the day arrive....

4. agnes

agnes Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've taken it...twice

Lemmy likes this.
  5. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    I've taught those types of classes. The new soft air guns are good for them because the size and weight are nearly identical to the real thing the action works so they can actually see if it would have discharged during the disarming exercises and if they get damaged you're not out a grand. I currently use a Berretta 9mm style soft air model my GF calls the Martin Riggs gun.

Never tried teaching with an AR model. Not sure it would be very effective because unless your standing next to the guy when he pulls it out I dont see how they would close the distance without getting shot.

My motto for an active shooter is Escape if possible, hide if you can but if you have to fight then fight like youre the third monkey in line on the dock to Noahs Ark and its starting to rain.

6. austin54

austin54 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think most would be better off with a can of mace. Even better off with one of those giant Dog the Bounty Hunter models.

That's how the guy stopped the shooter at the Seattle area college.

FeetToTaste likes this.
  7. Muffler

Muffler Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No I wouldn't bother taking it.....however I have taken CPR in one form or another yearly for over 20 years...yes I've used it with varying degrees of sucess. And again for all of you armed to the teeth for the zombie apocalypse ...do you have an AED at home ? Only 3/4 million at home heart attacks expected this year.

"Musky but not pooney " Mr X

Brokenbad likes this.
  8. somedude61

somedude61 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No need.

9. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    you mean were 'sposed to fight back?
    [​IMG]
    Hey! we never thought of that! haha

Mike Huntslooce and Brokenbad like this.
  10. Humongous

Humongous Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't see the harm. I have learned quite a few weapon disarms over the year. The Krav Maga ones are good because of their simplicity. The best technique is always to get the fuck out of there.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Willowglen likes this.
  11. JameGumb

JameGumb We're all out of toner!

Reputations:
    I learned how to do that in my ccw class. :grad:

12. Winston Leg-Thigh

Winston Leg-Thigh Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My sister teaches in a public high school. They had a mandatory seminar last year with the police and were issued protocol about how they should act in the case of an active shooter on campus. The teachers were told to keep canned goods in the classroom and to hand them out to students so they could throw them at the perp. True story.

Dorb likes this.
  13. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Active shooter? I am a big fat target so I waddle away and hide as best I can.

Brokenbad likes this.
  14. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Obama must be familiar with the Bugs technique.
    [​IMG]

15. FeetToTaste

FeetToTaste Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    We're not allowed to have mace at our office for legal/liability purposes.

So I have a can of that super long distance bee/wasp spray next to my desk, on the off chance I can get a shot of that off before a shooter blows my head off.

16. hugh jasol

hugh jasol has nice soup coolers Gold

Reputations:
    We have annual Active Shooter/Hostile Intruder trainging for our employees at work. Our armed officers have to take mandatory tactical training by local PD SWAT on a yearly basis. That said, it'll be like shooting ducks on a pond if this scenario every becomes real. I predict disgruntled employee before pissed off rate payer.

17. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    That's actually a great idea. Those things are pretty accurate over some serious distance.

18. YodaQuiversStern

YodaQuiversStern Turn and face the strange

Reputations:
    I have some friends who teach active shooter as well as self defense training. Active training classes are very popular. They (My friends) teach all over the country.

19. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    I'd throw my shoe at a motherfucker so fast.

20. Austinchota

Austinchota Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    You're dirty hippie flip-flop ain't gonna hurt nobody...