'Trainwreck' review

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Humongous, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Humongous

Humongous Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Full disclosure, I have never seen an episode of Amy Schumer's show, so I went into this one with no expectations. I have to say, it was pretty good.

For those who don't know the synopsis, Schumer plays a writer for a snarky magazine who is given the task of writing a piece on an accomplished sports surgeon played by Bill Hader. Despite her fear of commitment and total lack of interest in sports she falls for him blah blah blah.

The good: Some bits fall flat but most of the jokes work well enough. It was not like 'A Million Ways to Die in the West' where you were bombarded with gags non-stop with a success rate of 1 laugh for every 10 groans. Dave Attell has a very small part as a homeless guy that lives in front of Amy's apartment building and I love me some Attell. Colin Quinn is in it a lot more than I thought he would be and does a decent job as Amy's curmudgeonly father. I thought Lebron James was going to be an albatross as athletes are usually about as funny as finding a lump in your testicle but he was actually pretty funny. Schumer I imagine was playing sort of a version of her slutty, inappropriate, on-stage persona and did admirably. The women in the theater were dying laughing at her shtick. If you hate her I have bad news, she is going to be around a while.

The bad: You really started to feel the length of this movie toward the end. 90 mins would have been perfect for this film. The pacing wasn't great and the movie meanders a bit. At times it felt like it was a series of skits and ensemble pieces that were stitched together. Hader essentially plays the straight man in this movie so those of you looking for him to flex his comedic muscles are going to be a little let down.

The ugly: I said most of the jokes worked but when they didn't, they fucking bombed. There were a couple of deliberately crass lines where you could hear a pin drop after they were delivered. There was one cameo filled piece towards the end that was so inorganic, so out of left field, so drawn out and painfully unfunny that I was squirming in my seat. My guess is they left it in because they got some famous personalities to be a part of it but it did not work on any level.

Overall Score: B

2. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A thoughtful and well written review. :wigtip:

3. RONNIE THE CLAW

RONNIE THE CLAW Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Great job!! I might check that out now, thanks!

4. TheWonk

TheWonk POTY Music Forum Gold

Reputations:
    I thought this was gonna be another AGT or Kitten Boe thread.

Dlist, Notfunorfunny and Humongous like this.
  5. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    The few reviews I've heard/read were actually very positive. I actually like Amy (go ahead, give me shit :rolleyes: ) but I wasn't sure how this movie was going to turn out. If I remember correctly, she actually wrote the screen play, right? Anyway, I like her, and I like Bill Hader, so I had high hopes. After hearing your impartial review, I just may have to make the effort to see it.

yaddc, Shortwave98, smichal and 4 others like this.
  6. Domo Cup

Domo Cup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How was LeBron?

7. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I forgot to mention that! The last review I saw said that, surprisingly, he was pretty damn funny. I watched an interview with Amy where she said he was the funniest one on set. :dontknow:

8. Humongous

Humongous Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Surprisingly good. The one line he delivers in the trailer was so stilted that I thought he was going to be painful to watch but he holds his own. They give his character some funny, unexpected nuances.

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  9. Roadie

Roadie Active Member

Reputations:
    Every Judd Apatow movie is too long, so no surprise that you felt it dragged on.

I'm not normally a fan of Schumer, but I will probably watch this when it's out on DVD.

10. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I can see this movie being tolerable after downing three percosets and chasing that with beer.

11. Cosmic Adam

Cosmic Adam Member

Reputations:
    I went to see the movie to support LeBron and Amare Stoudamire. The entire movie was good. I agree with the review. The movie is too long and Amy Schumer will probably be around for a minute. I have to say - she is not that attractive a chick - but she does have a decent body, not great.

12. Big Biscuit

Big Biscuit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Local paper gave it a "B" also said if you take out the raunchy humor in was a fairly predictable boy/girl set up. They expected more cutting edge humor from Schumer and she played it a little safe. They noted that Lebron is a natural and steals the movie.

Dlist and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  13. Cinnaminion

Cinnaminion All Shadowy Light Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Love Lebron... :cool:

14. Roadie

Roadie Active Member

Reputations:
    NBA players that have made hundreds of millions really need support. And Schumer is hideous. I know I'm not supposed to say that, but she is.

MadWoman777 likes this.
  15. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The movie got great reviews in the News and Post but I assume that's because Howard paid off movie reviewers because Amy is a friend of Beth and Howard.

smichal likes this.
  16. queerface

queerface Un-engaged Dyke Gold

Reputations:
    I saw it tonight and enjoyed it a lot!

Dlist, yaddc, Shortwave98 and 2 others like this.
  17. MadWoman777

MadWoman777 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Now I HAVE to see it -- I love Dave Attell, too! But I'm already thinking the movie's shit because they're doing way too much advertising for it. I hope she's just a flash in the pan, like Dice Clay.

GLguygardner and Humongous like this.
  18. N Copter

N Copter Shot Dead Banned User

Reputations:
    I thought she is okay. I know her mostly from stopping in on O&A. She was able to hang pretty well in a hostile environment (from a comedy standpoint). She would roll with the punches and fire back.

19. Tish

Tish Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Also saw it tonight and agree with most. I thought the shitty movie with Danielle Radcliffe was funny. The intervention? Total total bomb. Too much Lebron. Not a good actor. Amy is good at facial emotions. She is really funny. You all call her a pig. She's not perfect but looks good in this movie. Legs to die for. Her arms are thick but I say she looks awesome.
    I give it a solid B.

20. Tish

Tish Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    rating? We will take over rotton tomatoes