Travel question

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Sloppyjoe, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Sloppyjoe

Sloppyjoe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Wife and I are looking to travel to London and Paris in the late summer early fall. I've been all over Europe, but never to England or France. She will be getting her citizenship and passport and will finally be allowed to leave European airports.

Question is where are decent places to stay in those cities, for those that have been there. Not crazy expensive but not dives either.

I know the rule is to be like wig and stay in bed watching the bachelor, but we like to travel.

yaddc likes this.
  2. Dick Fitzwell

Dick Fitzwell Opinions are like assholes ... and so am I

Reputations:
    Apparently you have NOT been all over Europe

Pickle Jar and larryluncg like this.
  3. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

JesusTwinsBiggestFan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I would stay somewhere around kensington because it is around all the tourist shit in London but it's all the richest area in London. If your looking at hotels try to stay close to the river thames on the north side so you wont have to take the undeground for miles and miles.

Johnnykstaint likes this.
  4. fixer

fixer I'm Retarded you Jerk. On the Power.

Reputations:
    I would not go to Paris. Leichester and Luton are both very nice cities.

Tim likes this.
  5. YinzerMasshole

YinzerMasshole VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Are we still getting fucked on the Pound vs. the Dollar? England's so fucking expensive.

I miss Amsterdam.

Jake Dog likes this.
  6. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    [​IMG] "stay outta europe"

7. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I went to Paris last year. I used Airbnb for the first time. Rented some guys flat right across from the Eiffel Tower. It wasn't the Waldorf, but it was a lot cheaper. Small, but quaint. Had a damn nice view from the balcony too.

11084108_10204066384644687_8847735025346435714_o.jpg

keywordpk, Tim, Rockside7 and 10 others like this.
  8. TheHighHat

TheHighHat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    For London, either stay at a regular B&B, or use airbnb. I would recommend airbnb: you get so much more for only a little more money. I just found a really nice flat, a 2-bedroom flat!, in a really nice part of London (in Notting Hill), for $200 a night. Booking well in advance is the key. I've tried to last-minute airbnb in London, and it's very slim pickins for very high prices.

If you want to save money, check the B&Bs on Gower Street (near Goodge St. tube and the British museum). There is basically one side of one block that is all B&Bs (the block with Arran House on it). Fairly priced (I think it will run you between $120-$130 a night), and very central.

Else you can try a few blocks over from Bayswater tube station. There are a bunch of ok-ish B&Bs there, too, but it's a longer walk to a tube. It kind of feels like you're in no man's land for a couple of blocks, but they're pleasant blocks.

And that's the problem with London; it's too big. You could spend 20 minutes IN a tube station, just walking. Everything takes twice as long as you think it should.

For Paris, definitely use airbnb, and I'd stay in Montmarte. It's very touristy, but you are a fucking tourist, and there's a reason it's touristy; it's charming as fuck. We stayed at this ridiculously awesome, cosy one bedroom flat three doors down from a very busy street in Montemarte. But it was stone quiet, as there was a courtyard off the street, then our apartment building tucked inside. We didn't have a view, but we had complete silence. It was fantastic, and it was actually slightly less money than the pretty nice hotel we had stayed our previous 2 times in Paris (it was only about $125 per night).

It's just so much nicer staying in an entire flat with a separate bedroom and a kitchen. You feel like a local; you stock the fridge, you can eat in when you want, you don't have to get dressed and go out for breakfast, etc.

Mr Fantastic likes this.
  9. YodaQuiversStern

YodaQuiversStern Turn and face the strange

Reputations:
    Following...husband has a free trip for two to Europe for any time he wants to use it. He's been trying to convince me to go for 2 years. I love to see places, but hate to travel...however I want to see France (including Paris), so I'm trying to work up the motivation to go.

10. Irish Joe

Irish Joe Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't know why you'd go to Paris/London and spend enough time in hotel room to care about accommodations (unless you're some kind of pervert who likes taking pictures of his feet in front of famous landmarks). As long as it has a bed and a bathroom, who cares?

11. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    I just did that trip in October, I usually stay in Soho area, close to tons of restaurants and shopping, quick stroll to the queen etc. in Paris I love the Latin Quarter but we stayed in the 2nd Arron right between the louvre and Notre dam and it was a great starting point, I agree with whoever a feet those are above that Airbnb is a good choice but I found the hotels to be fairly equal in cost to the rentals, with the bonus of breakfast and getting your room cleaned...also I Uber'd everywhere and it was very reasonable!

TheMercenary likes this.
  12. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I would go to Paris Texas and just pretend You're in Europe.

13. TheHighHat

TheHighHat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That's low-class ghetto thinking, Joe. You're better than this.

Unless you're 19 and on the go all day and night every day and night, you will spend several waking hours each day at the place; a couple hours in the morning waking up/eating breakfast/getting ready/planning out the day. Then you go out for the day, come home around 3-4. Another couple hours at the place, then dinner and an evening out.

If you're at a place long enough, you may even have a night or two in, or nights when you just go for a stroll in the area, then back to a nice apartment, rather than one dinky little claustrophobic room. London hotel and B&B rooms are notoriously small.

You might even want to eat the occasional lunch or dinner at the place, and since you've got a kitchen, you can.

Staying in an entire flat is easily worth the extra cash. Worst case scenario, it's an extra $100 a night. It's a no-brainer, imo.

In Amsterdam, you won't find a hotel room with a canal view, a true canal view, for under $200 a night. I stayed in a 2-bedroom flat overlooking the Amstel for less than $150 a night. It was fuckin' brilliant.

It was also very, very tough to leave that place, even for a few hours.

That was a rare find, though. Usually, it's around $200-$250 per night, and up. But even that's worth it.

14. Vincenzo69

Vincenzo69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you go on hostelworld.com you can look up good budget hotels. You can save a lot of money staying in the suburbs the metro systems make everything accessible.

Paris - Eiffel Tower I recommend but don't pay to go up it. The Louvre is closed one day per week

London - national museum is free and on same level as the Louvre, save money by eating at the supermarket budgens

The exchange rate is good much better than the early 2000's

15. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  16. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  17. Irish Joe

Reputations:
    Some good advice, but I'd recommend finding a room near a good subway junction. Last time I was in Paris, I stayed in Pigalle, whose subway system will take you west to the park, north to Montmartre (if you don't want to climb the stairs) and south to St. Lazare, which will take you everywhere. It was just perfectly situated for traversing the city.

yaddc likes this.
  18. bluedevil30

bluedevil30 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    In London or Paris try to stay in a neighborhood near a subway station not a tourist area.

Google best budget hotel for each city and check reviews. You can also get English reviews for hotel and restaurants on Yelp for each city.

19. Irish Joe

Reputations:
    That must be it, because even at 40, I never spend more than a waking hour in my hotel room when I'm on vacation. The world is just too interesting to spend all day wallowing inside.

20. Johnnykstaint

Johnnykstaint VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    This. I havent been to England in 15 years, but I know that i cant remember a damn thing about my hotel room. Was there for 4 days and spent maybe 8 hours total in that room, 7 1/2 of that asleep.