Politics Trump defends criticism of judge with Mexican heritage

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by XuXu, Jun 5, 2016.

1. XuXu

XuXu VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump on Friday vociferously -- and repeatedly -- defended his claims that a judge overseeing a lawsuit against Trump University is biased because of his Mexican heritage, pushing back against criticism that his objections are racist.

Trump, pressed by CNN's Jake Tapper more than 20 times on whether he was invoking racism in his attacks on the judge, continued to point to his plans to build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico and renegotiate trade agreements between the two countries as justification and validation of his critiques.
    The presumptive GOP nominee said U.S. District Court Judge Gonzalo Curiel, a federal district judge in the Southern District of California, has made "rulings that people can't even believe."
    "He's proud of his his heritage. I respect him for that," Trump said, dismissing charges that his allegation was racist. "He's a Mexican. We're building a wall between here and Mexico."
    RELATED: Clinton: Trump deserves some blame for violence outside events
    At the end of a lengthy exchange, Tapper asked: "If you are saying he cannot do his job because of his race, is that not the definition of racism?"
    "No, I don't think so at all," Trump said.
    Trump first broached these waters in an interview with The Wall Street Journal published Thursday, in which he said Curiel, who was born in Indiana, had an "inherent conflict of interest" in the Trump University lawsuit.
    "If he was giving me a fair ruling, I wouldn't say that," Trump told Tapper, pointing again to Curiel's background. "I think that's why he's doing it."
    "I'm building a wall. I'm trying to keep business out of Mexico. Mexico's fine," Trump said. "He's of Mexican heritage, and he's very proud of it, as I am of where I come from."
    Trump again called for Curiel to recuse himself from the case.
    Last week, Curiel ordered parts of internal documents, including "playbooks" regarding running the enterprise, to be released as part of a lawsuit against Trump University.
    The documents were released in response to a request by The Washington Post.
    Trump also dismissed concerns raised by Hillary Clinton on Friday about his temperament when it comes to foreign policy. On Thursday, Clinton charged that Trump had "thin skin" and should not be entrusted with the U.S. military arsenal.
    "I don't have thin skin. I have very strong and very thick skin," Trump replied Friday. "I have a strong temperament. It's a very good temperament and it's a very in-control temperament, or I wouldn't have built this unbelievable company. I wouldn't have built all of the things I've been able to do in life."
    "You can't have that success without good temperament," Trump continued. "We have been taken advantage of by everybody. We have people with weak temperaments."

2. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    He's right

3. doughhead63

doughhead63 OD'd on life itself Staff Member

Reputations:
    You'd have a meltdown if the judge was of Irish descent.

Besides, the judge was born here.

FosterKitten, XuXu and BethSucks like this.
  4. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    So that means he can't be bias?

5. Tim

Tim ty dawg for gold! Gold

Reputations:
    Aren't liberals contradicting themselves?

For the past year, we've heard liberals insist that all Hispanic Americans hate Trump.

Now you're acting offended when Trump concedes your point?

(not that it's that simple - this is an activist judge who stands for everything Trump is running against)

6. doughhead63

Reputations:
    He's accusing him of bias before the decision.

7. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i'm not saying we should wall in Indiana
    i'm just saying it could be done

SomerSky and RenchFries like this.
  8. XuXu

XuXu VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    *biased

9. MAGA

MAGA Made Board Retarded Again Banned User

Reputations:
    The judge is a member of La Raza and has given away free scholarships to illegal aliens. He's an anti-American activist, not a judge.

10. MAGA

Reputations:
    The case should have been thrown out when the plaintiff was found out to be lying.

R.P. McMurphy likes this.
  11. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Newt Gingrich: Trump's judge comments are "inexcusable"
    Republican Newt Gingrich, a former speaker of the House and a staunch Donald Trump backer, criticized his party's presumptive presidential nominee Sunday for his recent controversial comments on the federal judge presiding over a Trump University lawsuit.

"This is one of the worst mistakes Trump has made. I think it's inexcusable," Gingrich told Fox News Sunday. "He has every right to criticize a judge. He has every right to say certain decisions aren't right and his attorneys can file to move the venue from the judge. But first of all this judge was born in Indiana. He is an American. Period."

Gingrich urged Trump to "move to a new level" for the general election.

"This is no longer the primaries," he said. "He's no longer an interesting contender. He is now the potential leader of the United States, and he's got to move his game up."

When asked if Trump's comments about the judge -- which included saying U.S. District Court Judge Gonzalo Curiel was biased because he's "very strongly pro-Mexican" -- raised questions about his temperament, the ex-House speaker replied in the affirmative.

"Of course it does," Gingrich said.

Later, however, Gingrich did not back down from supporting Trump, despite his negative opinions of Trump's attacks on Curiel.

XuXu likes this.
  12. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    This

13. kedo44124

kedo44124 Active Member

Reputations:
    I think he doesn't really want to win. He is not stupid, so he must know that he could just dial it back a little bit and probably win. His speeches today are almost identical to what they were 6 months ago. He needs to eventually talk more about specifics and respond to attacks with policy and logical rebuttals rather than name calling and juvenile rhetoric. I assume he has advisors telling him this but he stays status quo. He is either lazy or really doesn't want to win and didn't expect to get this far. I think its the latter.

An America first Agenda that prioritizes security, smart trade deals, creating jobs, and rebuilding our infrastructure by reallocating $ typically spend on foreign aid, and defense of other countries makes perfect sense. Who would be against that? Its his approach that has caused many to allow themselves to be brainwashed by the main stream media that his presidency would be the worst thing since the rise of Hitler.

gridlockd likes this.
  14. MAGA

Reputations:
    President Trump has given the most specifics of any candidate.

yaddc and Shivvy like this.
  15. MAGA

Reputations:
    That's from the guy who called Spanish "the language of the ghetto," right?

Now he's the Cuck Police? Goodbye to that VP slot, Newton. Enjoy making your next unwatchable documentary with Callista :jj:

check1 likes this.
  16. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Was this before or after Trump wrote this:

Buzzfeed had previously found another blog post Trump wrote in December of 2008, following President Obama's victory, in which he praised Clinton again.

"Hillary is smart, tough and a very nice person, so is her husband. Bill Clinton was a great president. They are fine people. Hillary was roughed up by the media, and it was a tough campaign for her, but she's a great trooper. Her history is far from being over," he said.

XuXu likes this.
  17. MAGA

Reputations:
    As President Trump has explained many times, part of running an 11-figure business empire is sucking up to politicians :secret:

check1 likes this.
  18. doughhead63

Reputations:
    Got links for these statements?

Not blogs or conservative websites, something like Fox News, CNN, MSNBC etc...?

kinneyjames and XuXu like this.
  19. MAGA

Reputations:

Mr. Trump’s supporters have pointed to Judge Curiel’s affiliation with La Raza Lawyers of California, a Latino bar association that Mr. Trump asserts is an advocacy group, and to his appointment by Mr. Obama as evidence of a conflict of interest.

In the interview on Thursday, Mr. Trump said that Judge Curiel also had a conflict of interest because he was friends with one of the plaintiffs’ lawyers; that lawyer told The Wall Street Journal that they were federal prosecutors in the same office but had never seen each other socially.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/04/us/politics/donald-trump-university-judge-gonzalo-curiel.html?_r=0

Trump University Judge Is Member Of La Raza

Curiel served on the selection committee in 2014 for the La Raza Lawyers of San Diego Scholarship Fund. Six of seven of the recipients of these scholarships ranging from $1500 to $1600 were born in Central America. One of them, Ricardo Elorza, described himself as “undocumented.”

http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/01/j...ember-of-la-raza-lawyers-group/#ixzz4Ak3Of8IA

Judge Curiel has served as one of several members of the organization’s committee in charge of awarding scholarships to students. Trump supporters have noted that at least one of the past scholarship recipients described himself as an undocumented immigrant.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/...ald-trumps-criticism-of-judge-gonzalo-curiel/

Asking MAGA for sources :jj:

20. doughhead63

Reputations:
    Thanks.

The links you say Trump asserts the organization is making the scholarship.

Also, there is one case of an undocumented recipient of the scholarship.