Politics Trump Full Of Shit About Pressuring Ford To Keep Production In The US

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Oct 26, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Why Donald Trump can't take credit for Ford jobs move
    No, Donald Trump can’t take credit for Ford’s move to build trucks in the U.S. instead of Mexico.

Neither can Ohio Governor and GOP presidential candidate John Kasich – entirely. But at least the Ohio governor’s administration had something to do with it.

I used to report on the auto industry for the Detroit Free Press, and I covered the 2011 contract negotiations that eventually moved the Ford production in question to Ohio. So, take it from a former auto reporter:

1. Trump is dead wrong.
    Trump took to Twitter Sunday, responding to a blog post that says he pressured Ford Motor Co. to move a plant from Mexico to Ohio.

(Note: The blog post linked above is full of errors. That's part of Trump's problem.)

Do you think I will get credit for keeping Ford in U.S. Who cares, my supporters know the truth. Think what can be done as president!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 25, 2015
    Word is that Ford Motor, because of my constant badgering at packed events, is going to cancel their deal to go to Mexico and stay in U.S.

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 25, 2015
    One problem: This isn't the truth at all.

Ford did move some production from Mexico to Ohio. This year it started building Ford F-650 and F-650 medium-duty trucks in Northeast Ohio. The UAW and Ford negotiated the move of the truck production to Ohio way back in 2011, as part of their last round of contract talks, so the workers in Avon Lake would have vehicles to build after Ford discontinued its E-Series van last year.

In other words, this had absolutely nothing to do with Trump.

As Ford spokeswoman Kristina Adamski confirms: “Ford has not spoken with Mr. Trump, nor have we made any changes to our plans. We decided to move the F-650 and F-750 medium-duty trucks to Ohio Assembly in 2011, long before any candidates announced their intention to run for U.S. president."

2. Kasich is basically right.
    Kasich, who is running for president, has started pushing back against Trump, the national frontrunner for the GOP nomination. His campaign did so again Sunday, via this tweet:

Kasich links to a video in which a Ford executive calls a tax incentive package "instrumental" in Ford's decision to move the truck production to Ohio from Mexico. Ford's Jim Tetreault says Kasich's leadership "enabled" the decision by the Legislature to pass the incentives.

Here's the thing: No politician can claim full credit for any production decision by any manufacturer. Ford had promised to move the production to Ohio before the Legislature had approved the incentives, largely because of negotiations with the UAW. (Officials from the administration and possibly the Legislature likely already had assured Ford it would get the incentives.)

But Kasich's tweet basically takes the right amount of credit: "Together OHIO brought Ford back from Mexico."

3. Ford is actually still planning to move production from the U.S. to Mexico.
    What Trump and the author of the error-filled blog post apparently don't realize: Ford is still planning to move major production from the U.S. to another country, likely Mexico. In July, Ford said it would stop production of its Focus and C-Max small cars in Detroit starting in 2018.

Ford has insisted the Wayne assembly plant won't close, so the factory will likely get a new car to build. But it's unclear whether the automaker will still need to employ all 4,000 people who currently work there.

An important caveat: All of this might change. The UAW is currently negotiating a new contract with Ford. So it's possible the UAW could negotiate a plan to keep Focus production in Wayne. Or the UAW might claim victory by announcing which cars will be built in the Michigan Assembly Plant.

Around the time of Ford's 2011 decision to build its medium-duty trucks in Ohio, automakers were embracing a strategy of building as many cars in the U.S. as it could – even small cars. Automakers theorized that transporting parts to Mexico and importing cars out of Mexico was more expensive than building them in the U.S., even though are higher here.

But automakers have largely abandoned that strategy, in part because gas prices have remained low and autoworker wages have continued to rise. Small-car production is moving to Mexico, period.

4. Kasich has been trying to talk an unnamed automaker out of moving small-car production to Mexico.
    Kasich would like to stop that trend. Here's what he said in August:

“I’m a free trader, but when it takes a couple years to figure out whether somebody’s cheating and stealing our jobs, that is an outrageous situation for the United States and our workers to be in. And I’ve also expressed my concern to a major automaker, who said – well, they were going to move the production of small cars to Mexico, to ship back into the United States.

"And I told them, when I called them, I said, ‘You know, I voted for NAFTA because it was to open markets that we couldn’t get into, not to have companies moving stuff offshore to then ship their products back in. And if you do things like this, you’re going to weaken the argument for free trade.’ ”

A Kasich aide declined to say which automaker Kasich was talking about.

It might be Ford. (See above.)

But the automaker in question seems more likely to be General Motors.

GM currently builds its Chevrolet Cruze small car in Ohio – Lordstown, to be exact. That's likely to continue, but GM has said it plans to add production of its next-generation Chevy Cruze in Mexico.

It's easy to imagine what could happen next. For instance, having Cruze production in Mexico might enable GM to cut a shift of workers in Lordstown.

If Kasich lobbied GM, did it work? The automaker reached an agreement with the UAW last night, and details are forthcoming. We'll know soon whether it is upholding its plans to add Cruze production in Mexico.

Free Press reporters Brent Snavely and Alisa Priddle contributed reporting.

2. sumtexan

sumtexan Consentido de Dios Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah, this was Kasich's deal since 2011. I can't believe he's willing to take credit for a deal that Kasich helped negotiate and put together at least 5 years ago.

Scarlett Ohara and BethSucks like this.
  3. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Trump is a liar? I never would have guessed.

4. basketcase

basketcase Pissed that Naz only has 2 legs

Reputations:
    It's a brown cow. I know it is.
    [​IMG]

5. Roland Schwinn

Roland Schwinn *Likes reported as of October 14, 2016 Gold

Reputations:
    When all is said and done, when the dust settles on all this rah rah bullshit from both sides.....

"3. Ford is actually still planning to move production from the U.S. to Mexico."

:facepalm:

6. basketcase

basketcase Pissed that Naz only has 2 legs

Reputations:
    The truth is that we'll never know. Trump is behind a lot of deals. He may or may not have been directly related and politics will always cloud/dodge the truth. That's why people believe in this false hope.

7. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    He's a politician. They're all liars.

Hillary is as much of a dictator as you can get. Scaring off her competition, committing political genocide against anyone that dares criticize her or throw her hard questions. Releasing her muscle on anyone that gets in the way of her realizing her birthright.

She's no different than Kim Jong un, complete with campaign-run media arms, a Clinton foundation fund funnel and criminal background... But let's talk about how trump overexaggerated. Because it's something trump never does.

Turtle Man likes this.
  8. dawg

Reputations:
    They can open up shop next to the factory that produces the Trump clothing line.

trump-c-640x437.jpg

9. dawg

Reputations:
    I think the world is going to end. You finally spoke some truth. Dont tell LTD he cant handle it.

10. Roland Schwinn

Reputations:
    If only they all had labels to show off their hypocrisy. I remember a great line from the third party debates in 2012, you know the ones on YouTube that got NO coverage anywhere. One of the candidates suggested they should all be forced to wear suits that showed their top campaign donators. The largest donators would have the largest spot on the suit. Kind of like Nascar. I thought that was a good line. :giggle:

lestanyonethink and FishySausage like this.
  11. dawg

Reputations:
    :jj:

Trump is a clown. Letterman had no problem destroying him.

12. Roland Schwinn

Reputations:

Aren't you tiring of it all? All so boring and predictable.

13. dawg

Reputations:
    I only do it to troll LTD and other ball lickers, i will get tired someday i guess.

Dorb and Roland Schwinn like this.
  14. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Ford Throws UAW (and Trump) a Bone, Shifts Work from Mexico to Ohio
    [​IMG]
    With barely a month to go in its contract talks, Ford Motor Co. has thrown a meaty bone to the United Autoworkers Union. And it may also take Ford out of the presidential debate, where it recently became a target of Republican front-runner Donald Trump.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/ford-throws-uaw-trump-bone-shifts-work-mexico-ohio-n408521

President Trump would never lie, BS. You know better than that :nono:

babybear, Runaway and Roland Schwinn like this.
  15. dawg

Reputations:
  16. Roland Schwinn

Reputations:
    Yeah, i know. I get it. It's all BS.

And to be fair, I do enjoy the ridiculousness of it all. But just in small doses! Kinda the same way i enjoy greasy, shitty, unhealthy food.
    So... fair enough! :beer:

17. Wangold

Wangold Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He wasn't lying when he called Rosie O'donnell a fat, ugly pig. :whistle:

18. dawg

Reputations:
    Its all entertainment bro, its like wrestling. We have been providing dramatic entertainment for years, and you have the posters that buy it hook line and sinker and meltdown and provide the rest of us with entertainment, i am good at pushing buttons. Even when i confess to it in a post like this people still buy into it :jj:

I have made posts like this a million times and it goes right on deaf ears :jj: I like hiding in plain sight.

Roland Schwinn likes this.
  19. dawg

Reputations:
    You damn right.

lestanyonethink likes this.
  20. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Rosie is a fat lovely pig:)