Politics Trump wall is already up... sort of.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Petal, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Petal

Petal A girl in a sea of mults VIP

Reputations:
    :c I'm not a politics person, but this gave me a chuckle.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/07/20/donald-trump-wall-around-star-walk-of-fame/

DONALD TRUMP
    THE BORDER WALL
    IS ALREADY UP

7/20/2016 7:29 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
    [​IMG]

As soon as Donald Trump's Presidential run became official, the wall went up ... around his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Someone with a great sense of humor erected a 6-inch high concrete wall Tuesday -- complete with tiny barbed wire -- around the Donald's star. Most people are crediting popular street artist Plastic Jesus for the wall ... since he's done several other anti-Trump pieces -- like "No Trump Anytime" signs.

From tmz.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  2. thegroovologist

thegroovologist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    >>>

scoobyla and Petal like this.
  3. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There's a lot of talent out there

4. bluedevil30

bluedevil30 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I never understand the logic on Wall vs no Wall.

If you don't want a "Wall" let every Mexican in the country and don't man the borders at all.

If you want the "Wall" you have to enforce it everywhere including business who hire them and accept prices may go up.

This ignore the laws on the books attitude and still man the borders makes no sense at all.

Stew Nod and FishySausage like this.
  5. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    40% of illegals are visa overstays. Mexico's border isn't problem, Central Americans aren't driving middleclass wages down.
    In fact, without them, the cost of food would be prohibitive

6. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    btw----That wall is awesome

BooeyBanana and FishySausage like this.
  7. Sea Slob

Sea Slob Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I saw some border crossers run across the I-8 in front of me on the way to San Diego a couple weeks ago. About 20 seconds later I saw a border patrol truck with flashing lights on coming to scoop them up :yes: Saved us from their DUI's, robberies and kidnappings

Shivvy likes this.
  8. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah, Mexican families are doing TONS of kidnappings in America

FosterKitten and jrstinkfish like this.
  9. Sea Slob

Reputations:
    You need to watch the local news bro, half the crimes here are committed by Mexican nationals

10. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    They should stop

11. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

12. Sea Slob

Reputations:
    FilthySausage is willing to risk all the crime committed on Americans so he can pay 9 cents less for his bag of green beans :grad:

Stew Nod and SouthernListen like this.
  13. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Utter nonsense. I've read multiple studies on the cost of produce hand-picked and it's pennies per item if you doubled wages. My wife's company does the financing for automated machinery that does much of it, but since wages are depressed there is less investment in the machines as it's cheaper and requires less capital outlay to just hire them.

Example:

Most bagged lettuce is already handled in the field by machines. It's the head lettuce that is hand picked and packed. Of that head of lettuce, there ar costs such as:

-purchasing farm land
    -interest on the loan for the land
    -taxes on farm land
    -maintenance of farm land
    -planting machinery and other machinery costs
    -seed. There are something like 30,000 lettuce seeds PER OUNCE.
    -irrigation costs
    -fuel costs
    -fertilizer
    -electricity
    -cartons to pack the lettuce in
    -other overhead for the farm
    -transportation costs
    -processing costs
    -marketing costs
    -regulatory and safety compliance costs
    -warehousing costs
    -distribution middle men costs
    -labor costs of picking a head of lettuce, putting it in a bin, and loading it on a truck or conveyer.

Then there's the store costs where you buy it.

Now, out of a single $1.50 head of lettuce, how much purely manual labor do you think is involved? A few seconds. You could quadruple the pay and it wouldn't have too much effect.

The wholesale gross "profit" on an acre is roughly double what the costs are. But that's not even half of the retail price per head.

Out of $16,000 in costs per acre, the labor costs are about $6,000. But much of this labor is skilled farm hands doing important jobs, not migrants. The packing and picking is maybe half of that.

So, doubling the wages for the picking/packing, up to about $20/hour, would result in about $3,000/acre in added costs. Or 19%. But the cost of a head of lettuce at the store is not the wholesale cost. It is profits, costs, etc spread among several levels. The guy at the grocery store doesn't see his pay doubled, their overhead doesn't double, etc.

They get maybe 30,000 heads of lettuce per acre. So in this scenario with these assumptions it works out to about TEN CENTS PER HEAD DIFFERENCE to double the pay of unskilled farm labor.

Selling products is not like selling a service such as legal services or house cleaning. A much much lower percentage of the costs are labor. Even a product perceived as requiring a lot of manual labor. There is a massive pile of costs involved beyond labor in producing food.

Retaining cheap manual labor instead of automating the process makes America as a whole pooer than they would be if we used capital investment instead. This is why in the colonial era roughly 90% of Americans were farmers of some sort and today it's around 2%. Mechanizing and automating the process created massive prosperity.

Anyway, in the end, you're seeing a few cents price increase per head to double wages of pickers/packers and everyone else makes the same as before. Hardly a bad scenario for anyone...except migrant workers who make more here than they do back home.

But there are about 2 or 3 billion human beings who would love to come here and earn more than back home. Over 40% of the population of Nigeria, when polled, said they would come to America if they could.

Perhaps rather than bringing the 3rd world to the USA and sinking the lifeboat for everyone who doesn't possess high skills, it would be better to concentrate on helping other nations get their acts together. And ultimately, that is the responsibility of the people there.

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/FS081E/FS081E.pdf

This applies to the cost of hamburgers, lawn mowing, house cleaning, cashiers, and other goods and services in varying degrees. Labor is only part of the equation. And increasingly a smaller and smaller one.

Let's take a service sector seen as "labor intensive"

Example: Paying $40 for your 1/4 acre lot's lawn to be mowed, only about $8 of that is direct wages to the guys doing the work. So, double the wages to $24/hour and the price didn't double, it went up 20% if the business is to make the same profit. $8 extra thirty times a year isn't going to send upper middle classers into the poor house. It's $240 a year, or perhaps 2/10ths of one percent of a $100K family income.

US workers would FLOCK out of $10/hour dead end jobs in warehouses, behind cash registers, and such if they could make $48,000 a year (or less, if seasonal, but making $36,000 working 9 months a year still beats making $20,000 working year round). These lower paying jobs would then be open to less capable, less motivated, less physically fit individuals, rather than having them sitting idle and unemployed.

But given the choice of sitting idle and collecting $14,000 of benefits, or working full time and earning $16,000, it's not hard to see why many choose to just exit the job market. Mass immigration hurts immigrants as well as natives. Their wages are the most effected by newcomers willing to work for less.

This is your income disparity in a nutshell.

14. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Probably not the toddlers. I give them a pass.

15. BooeyBanana

BooeyBanana Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    great and creative idea.. We must keep those illegal Canadians from taking good-paying jobs from Americans..

jrstinkfish likes this.
  16. Hough

Hough In my SafeSpace Banned User

Reputations:
    No matter where you stand on the wall you have to admit that is pretty funny.

Petal, FishySausage and scoobyla like this.
  17. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Invisible walls guys

My wife has got one around her vag

It is very effective

FosterKitten likes this.
  18. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I only hire Olympians to mow my lawn
    It is expensive