Turkish protests

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by FCCstandards, Jun 11, 2013.

1. FCCstandards

FCCstandards Non-Essential Salooner VIP

Reputations:
    Check cnn

2. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    Water cannons

3. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    any water balloons?

4. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    Hopefully

5. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    well they set the water cannon machine on fire

[video=youtube_share;4y9pgIquwBk]http://youtu.be/4y9pgIquwBk[/video]

6. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    Gamorrian Guard?

7. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    Cannons ain't doing much.

8. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    They can all blow each other up for all I care. If only Asia Minor was still part of Greece.

9. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    Huge fires

10. ZeroZed

ZeroZed New Member

Reputations:
    I lived in Izmir for a few years back in the late 90s--I also worked closely with the TNP (Turkish National Police). I am very sympathetic to what the protestors are doing...the Prime Minister is a piece of shit who is attempting to undermine the quasi-secular society that Ataturk built. Turks are awesome people--they hate Arabs and are have historically been very welcoming of Americans and Europeans. The Prime Minister is an Islamist and has successfully undermined much of Ataturk's secular reforms. If he has his way, they'll outlaw all liquor (Turks are BIG drinkers), build more Mosques with taxpayer money, and diminish the role of women (Ataturk implemented major gender-equality rules and outlawed the head-scarf).

I don't know if they still have them, but when I was there the TNP had a SWAT like organization we called the "Dolphins" (it was their logo) who rode motorcycles and could swiftly be dispatched to beat the shit out of people. You didn't want to mess with them. The country also had a large Gendarmerie. This was in the era right before, and right after they captured the PKK leader Ocalan. You had to go through metal detectors (often inoperable) when you entered most stores, and there were police with machine guns on most city corners.

Back then, the police and military were big supporters of Ataturk's principles. It sickens me to think that those police and soldiers are now enforcing aligned with the current government. Turks virtually worship Ataturk; his picture literally adorns every single home and shop. To see that scumbag Erdogan try to rebuild Turkiye as an Islamist state is repulsive. Those people deserve better. Hopefully somebody will dispose of him.

11. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    :hat:

12. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    I will just pre-emptively say that as someone who is half Armenian, they have been very welcoming of people to land that used to belong to Armenia (and still has mass graves of our people under it). That said, I don't think there's any way in hell you're changing my mind or I'm changing yours, so I'll leave it at that.

13. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    Protesters are regrouping.

14. ZeroZed

ZeroZed New Member

Reputations:
    I don't make excuses for Turk's bad behavior. There is no doubt the nation shares a collective guilt regarding the Armenian genocide. It is shocking the extent their government has gone to in order to deny it ever took place. Turks slaughtered Armenians. The fact that their nation won't abide a serious discussion regarding this period of their history is very shameful. That said, the US also effectively undertook genocidal programs against Native Americans. 19th and 20th Century history is replete with examples of such activities all around the world. The Turkish government's failing, in this regard, is that it still actively represses the facts of the Armenian genocide. As you are probably aware, a number of Turkish journalists and academics have attempted to discuss it, only to be imprisoned (Turkiye jails more journalists under Erdogan than any other nation on Earth).

I still hold that the Turkish people are good people who should be our closest allies. Ataturk founded the modern Republic as a secular nation, and as such it practices the most moderate form of Islam I've ever encountered (I used to think of Turkish Muslims as the counterpart to Methodists). The US should have helped Turkiye become a bigger regional player after the Cold War ended...it would have advanced our national interests in promoting moderate Islam and would have provided a better model to the Islamic world. Turkey has been our most faithful NATO ally for decades; we ignored them after we used them during the Cold War, and this is what happened...the religious extremists began to creep back into politics and are rebuilding the Ottoman Empire, not as a European-modeled secular society (as Ataturk intended), but as a pro-Islamist regime with dictatorial tendencies.

Again, I am keenly aware that Turkey engaged in a genocidal campaign against Armenians which was morally reprehensible--as is their continued denial that it ever happened. But the basic principles that the modern Cumhuriyet (Republic) was founded on are pro-Western, secular, and progressive. Their current leadership is none of those things.

[​IMG]

15. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

16. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    i hope this doesnt cause turkey sandwich prices to go up