Twilight Zone Marathon 1/1/12 - in honor of mrd160

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by jonpow, Dec 31, 2011.

1. jonpow

jonpow Tennessee Jed VIP

Reputations:
    Marathon is on. Miss that fucker - wonder if he posts anywhere besides SFN. I think not.

This episode with the dead grandma and the telephone freaked me out when I was a kid.

:tzone:

2. blairg

blairg loving Mari

Reputations:
    Ray Bradbury was better.

3. jonpow

jonpow Tennessee Jed VIP

Reputations:
    Than what

4. blairg

blairg loving Mari

Reputations:
    Twilight Zone

5. Engaged Chicken

Engaged Chicken VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I'll watch this tomorrow, jonpow. Remind me. :D

6. jonpow

jonpow Tennessee Jed VIP

Reputations:
    Opinions are like assholes

7. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    I love the blonde in this episode.

8. beatlejaws

beatlejaws nowhere poster

Reputations:
    • "Number Twelve Looks Just Like You"
      • Writer: John Tomerlin (credited to Charles Beaumont)
      • Director: Abner Biberman
      • Producer: William Froug
      • Director of Photography: Charles Wheeler
      • Music: stock
      • Cast:
        • Marilyn Cuberle: Collin Wilcox
        • Lana Cuberle/Simmons/Doe/Grace/Jane/Patient/#12: Suzy Parker
        • Uncle Rick/Dr. Rex/Sigmund/Friend/Dr. Tom/Attendant: Richard Long
    "Given the chance, what young girl wouldn't happily exchange a plain face for a lovely one? What girl could refuse the opportunity to be beautiful? For want of a better estimate, let's call it the year 2000. At any rate, imagine a time in the future when science has developed a means of giving everyone the face and body he dreams of. It may not happen tomorrow - but it happens now in the Twilight Zone."

Marilyn Cuberle doesn't want to submit to the Transformation, a supposedly voluntary operation that makes them identical to everyone else. Her family and friends try and convince her to go ahead with the Transformation. She tries to escape from a hospital, and ends up in a room with a doctor and nurse. She emerges from the hospital looking and thinking just like everyone else.

"Portrait of a young lady in love - with herself. Improbable? Perhaps. But in an age of plastic surgery, body building and an infinity of cosmetics, let us hesitate to say impossible. These and other strange blessings may be waiting in the future - which after all, is the Twilight Zone."

9. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    Oh right he did the most amazing job on those threads, and then I would not see him for the rest of the year. What channel?

10. beatlejaws

Reputations:
    it's on SyFy

11. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    I appreciate it my friend.

12. beatlejaws

Reputations:
    from the second season

• [h=3]"A Penny For Your Thoughts"[/h]
      • Writer: George Clayton Johnson
      • Director: James Sheldon
      • Producer: Buck Houghton
      • Director of Photography: George T. Clemens
      • Cast:
        • Hector B. Poole: Dick York
        • Miss Turner: June Dayton
        • Mr. Bagby: Dan Tobin
    "Mr. Hector B. Poole, resident of the Twilight Zone. Flip a coin and keep flipping it. What are the odds? Half the time it will come up heads, half the time tails. But in one freakish chance in a million, it'll land on its edge. Mr. Hector B. Poole, a bright human coin - on his way to the bank."

Hector pays for a morning paper with a coin that stands on edge. He then finds he has telepathic powers. He informs his boss, Mr. Bagby, that Sykes, a businessman trying to get a large loan is actually going to bet it at the racetrack to try and repay embezzled funds. Sykes leaves in a rage, and Bagby is greatly displeased. Smithers, an old, trusted employee, is thinking of stealing some money, and escaping to Bermuda. A search of his briefcase reveals that Smithers was just daydreaming, and Poole is fired. Later, Mr. Bagby informs him that he was right about Sykes, and offers him his job back. Using information he has about Bagby's weekend plans with his mistress, he is made an office manager. Leaving from work he buys a paper, and knocks the coin he stood on end earlier down, and his psychic abilities disappear.

"One time in a million, a coin will land on its edge, but all it takes to knock it over is a vagrant breeze, a vibration or a slight blow. Hector B. Poole, a human coin, on edge for a brief time - in the Twilight Zone."

13. jonpow

jonpow Tennessee Jed VIP

Reputations:
    Nice Beat

14. wanker

wanker New Member

Reputations:
    fail safe on TCM..just started

15. beatlejaws

Reputations:
    written by Ray Bradbury featuring another cast member from "Bewitched":

• [h=3]"I Sing The Body Electric"[/h]
      • Writer: Ray Bradbury (based on a short story "I Sing The Body Electric" by Ray Bradbury)
      • Director: James Sheldon and William Claxton
      • Producer: Buck Houghton
      • Director of Photography: George T. Clemens
      • Music: Van Cleave
      • Cast:
        • Grandma: Josephine Hutchinson
        • Anne (age 11): Veronica Cartwright
        • Father: David White
    "They make a fairly convincing pitch here. It doesn't seem possible, though, to find a woman who might be ten times better than mother in order to seem half as good - except, of course, in the Twilight Zone."

A widower buys a robot grandmother for his three children. Two of the children take to her immediately, but one, Anne, doesn't. The robot reminds her too much of her mother. A woman she hates for leaving her. When Anne accidentally walks in front of an oncoming van, the grandmother throws herself in front of it. Anne, seeing the grandmother is unhurt, realizes she can never leave her like her mother, and she finally accepts her. Years later, the children are all grown up and leaving for college. The grandmother tells them she is going back to Facsimile, Limited. She knows her job here is finished.

"A fable? Most assuredly. But who's to say at some distant moment there might not be an assembly line producing a gentle product in the form of a grandmother whose stock in trade is love? Fable, sure - but who's to say?."

16. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Just switched over from the Auburn game, saw "A Game of Pool" was up on the west coast. Love that episode, Winters was great but I always think about Jackie Gleason as Fats when I see it.

17. beatlejaws

Reputations:
    • "Night Call"
      • Writer: Richard Matheson - based on a short story "Long Distance Call" by Richard Matheson
      • Director: Jacques Tourneur
      • Producer: Bert Granet
      • Director of Photography: Robert W. Pittack
      • Cast:
        • Elva Keene: Gladys Cooper
        • Margaret Phillips: Nora Marlowe
        • Miss Finch: Martine Bartlett
    "Miss Elva Keene lives alone on the outskirts of London Flats, a tiny rural community in Maine. Up until now, the pattern of Miss Keene's existence has been that of lying in her bed or sitting in her wheelchair reading books, listening to a radio, eating, napping, taking medication - and waiting for something different to happen. Miss Keene doesn't know it yet, but her period of waiting has just ended, for something different is about to happen to her, has in fact already begun to happen, via two most unaccountable telephone calls in the middle of a stormy night, telephone calls routed directly through - the Twilight Zone."

Elva Keene begins receiving strange phone calls. She finally tells whoever is at the other end to leave her alone. She then finds that the calls were coming from a telephone line lying on the grave of her ex-fiancée Brian, who always did what she wanted. She gets home and picks up the phone to talk to him, but he says he always does what she says, and she told him to leave her alone. And then the line goes dead.

"According to the Bible, God created the heavens and the Earth. It is man's prerogative - and woman's - to create their own particular and private hell. Case in point,
    Miss Elva Keene, who in every sense has made her own bed and now must lie in it, sadder, but wiser, by dint of a rather painful lesson in responsibility, transmitted from the Twilight Zone
    ."

18. jonpow

jonpow Tennessee Jed VIP

Reputations:
    This episode was originally scheduled to air November 22, 1963.
    All programming was cancelled that evening. It aired February 7, 1964.

19. beatlejaws

Reputations:
    Jack Ruby must have been a Zone fan.

20. HeinousMark

HeinousMark Creepy-Ass Cracka VIP

Reputations:
    Rod Serling was pretty fuckin badass all in all...