Politics U Cal Berkeley Pushes $15 Minimum Wage, Then Fires Hundreds After it Passes

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Miss America, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Miss America

Miss America Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :owned::owned::owned::owned::owned::owned:

http://www.investors.com/politics/e...en-fires-hundreds-of-workers-after-it-passes/

UC Berkeley Touts $15 Minimum Wage Law, Then Fires Hundreds Of Workers After It Passes
    [​IMG]
    UC Berkeley announced that it was laying off 500 employees just a week after California Gov. Jerry Brown approved a $15 minimum wage. (AP)

Labor Markets: Hundreds of employees at the University of California at Berkeley are getting schooled in basic economics, as the $15 minimum wage just cost them their jobs. Too bad liberal elites “fighting for $15” don’t get it.

A week after California Gov. Jerry Brown signed the state’s $15 minimum wage boost into law, UC Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks sent a memo to employees announcing that 500 jobs were getting cut.

Coincidence? Notreally.

Last year, University of California PresidentJanet Napolitano announced plans to boost its minimum wage to $15 at the start of next school year, independent of the state law. Since UC Berkeley was already in financial trouble — it ran a $109 million deficit last year and is projecting a deficit of $150 million this year — number crunchers there had to have factored in the higher mandated wage when making their layoff decisions.

Those workers might want to have a chat with the folks at UC Berkeley’s Center for Labor Research, who just days before Brown signed the wage-hike bill released a study touting the minimum wage as a boon to low-income household breadwinners.

After that report came out, Ken Jacobs, chairman of the UC Berkeley center, told the Los Angeles Times, “This is a very big deal for low-wage workers in California, for their families and for their children.”

It is a big deal, as well, to those soon to be out of work UC Berkeley workers.

But why is anyone surprised about jobs cuts following a wage hike? It’s one of the most basic laws of economics. Any high school kid taking Econ 101 can explain it: If you raise the price of something, demand goes down.

Keep in mind, too, that a $15 minimum wage is more than twice the federal minimum wage today. And it would set the wage floor higher than it’s ever been. On an inflation-adjusted basis, the minimum wage peaked in 1968 at just over $10 an hour.

Even the liberal Mother Jones admits that a $15 minimum is “terra incognita” and “might not be entirely benign.”

What’s surprising, then, is that unions, liberals and others pushing the minimum wage hike have managed to convince the public that this law somehow doesn’t apply to the labor market, and so succeeded in getting $15 laws in California, New York and Seattle. You can bet that either Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton will push $15 at the national level if either is elected.

Berkeley employees whose jobs are on the chopping block might want to educate these leaders about the perils of this idea.

2. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Love it

VarmintSam, Hatfield and jake206 like this.
  3. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
  4. suckemnuckledus

suckemnuckledus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Great, thanks for helping out your fellow man in the name of College profit.

5. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Hillary voters getting a lesson in reality: the true minimum wage is $0.

6. Ingens

Ingens VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Don't forget Bernie voters, too!

BethsBraneCell likes this.
  7. ElRexican

ElRexican Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Go Bears!

Miss America likes this.
  8. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You show me a liberal, I'll show you a hypocrite.

9. suckemnuckledus

suckemnuckledus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    please explain this logic? Doesn't a society do better when more people have disposable cash to stimulate the economy? Zero minimum wage translates to China, Africa and Mexican wages. Is that what Murica needs?

dknice, Bro and stanggirl like this.
  10. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    if I was one of the people who kept their job i'd be happy
    if I was one of the people who lost their job i'd be a little less happy

that's life and shit

11. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Like Roger Smith said when the GM layoffs were announced - for those who are left, their jobs will become that much more secure. :yay:

12. the G-man

the G-man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Liberal academics are hypocrites. File this under bottom stories of the day.

PI Nate likes this.
  13. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    If they fired their Dean of Transgendered Studies, it's salary could pay all of theirs'.

14. yahoo

yahoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I vote Democratic and this minimum wage hike is an awful idea...

It's why I hate knee-jerk liberalism and this idealistic need to do good without regard to the consequences.

And no, I don't want to be a knee-jerk conservative. See Kansas and the total basket case that state has become from ridiculous tax cuts and draconian government cuts.

The common-sense middle is dead.

15. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    I love it too, but colleges are the biggest crooks of them all charging what they charge to get and education. So fuck them as well

16. JohnD

JohnD Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Not sure what the beef is? Were these people charity employees who were not needed but kept on for altruism's sake? If so you would think the right is thrilled that the freeloaders are gone. If they were required employees then their management should be fired for getting rid of people doing needed work. If the issue is just that they are way in debt then that's the problem, not $15 and hour.

No business hires people that they don't (I have over 1,000 people who work in my department and I can tell you exactly what value each of them is bringing to the table. If they are not providing a needed service then they are gone. If they are providing a needed service then $15 an hour is hardly making them rich. If my business crashes due to the raise to $15 then it was a terrible business to begin with. My department generates over half a billion in revenue every year. You know what happens is the profit from that does not go to my people? It goes to the shareholders and the bosses who are all doing just fine. Why the hate on people making $30k a year? That's barely a living wage.

17. TheLACritic

TheLACritic Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

"
    OMY
    NY TIMES ON THE RIGHT MINIMUM WAGE: ZERO
    The New York Timeseditorial page (!!!), in January 1987, explaining why the right minimum wage should be Zero:

The Right Minimum Wage: $0.00

The Federal minimum wage has been frozen at $3.35 an hour for six years. In some states, it now compares unfavorably even with welfare benefits available without working. It’s no wonder then that Edward Kennedy, the new chairman of the Senate Labor Committee, is being pressed by organized labor to battle for an increase.

No wonder, but still a mistake. Anyone working in America surely deserves a better living standard than can be managed on $3.35 an hour. But there’s a virtual consensus among economists that the minimum wage is an idea whose time has passed. Raising the minimum wage by a substantial amount would price working poor people out of the job market. A far better way to help them would be to subsidize their wages or – better yet – help them acquire the skills needed to earn more on their own. . .

PI Nate and The Booey like this.
  18. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    I don't think that's what he meant.

19. the G-man

the G-man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Kasich-Webb in 2016

The Snork likes this.
  20. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Unfortunately only facility maintenance and various services personnel will be recieving the new $0 min wage.

SouthernListen likes this.