University of Alabama Sorority Deletes Viral Recruitment Video After Backlash

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by EndOfLine, Aug 17, 2015.

1. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    Just a bunch of full-slutters walking around laughing - and everyone is bent all out of shape. :nag:

In advance of their annual Bid Day, in which prospective sorority members are told which sororities they’ve been accepted into, the University of Alabama’s Alpha Phi released a Bid video promoting their sorority, part of a longstanding tradition of sisterhood self-promotion. Dubbedby Total Frat Move as “a nuke on the recruitment game,” the video—which features mostly blonde young women frolicking around campus looking beautiful and having fun—received widespread attention, and then criticism, prompting the video to be deleted, and the women to shut down their social media presence.

The video was viewed over 500,000 times in a week, gaining more traction once it was picked up by The Daily Mail and other sources, before it appears to have been removed sometime Sunday. Prior to Saturday’s Bid Day, on Friday, guest contributor A.L. Bailey wrote an op-ed for AL.com, lambasting Alpha Phi for creating a video with “a clear sales pitch: beauty, sexuality, and a specific look above all. They’re selling themselves on looks alone, as a commodity. Sadly, commodities don’t tend to command much respect.”

Bailey only lightly touched on the diversity issues that have famously plagued the University of Alabama’s sororities in the past few years, writing, “Are they recruiting a diverse and talented group of young women embarking on a college education? Upon first or even fifth glance, probably not.” Though the video was pulled from YouTube by the sorority, it’s been uploaded by other users (you can view it above). Alpha Phi has also made both their Facebook page andInstagram feed private, and removed their Twitter account and (previously praised) Tumblr.

On Saturday, Alabama’s Associate Vice President for University of Relations Deborah Lane released a statement politely condemning the video:

This video is not reflective of UA’s expectations for student organizations to be responsible digital citizens. It is important for student organizations to remember what is posted on social media makes a difference, today and tomorrow, on how they are viewed and perceived.

Alpha Phi wasn’t singled out specifically in the original Crimson White story from two years ago that re-upped attention to the homogeneity of Alabama’s sororities, but the social media presences of all sororities at the school have been carefully watched; one woman was kicked out Chi Omega last year for her decision to post a tasteless, racist Snapchat.

How diverse did Bid Day end up being? As AL.com reports, over 2,400 women participated, with 2,261 accepting bids, 214 of whom are minorities, according to the University. That compares to the 190 minorities who got bids last year—though there’s no data this time on how many of these new pledges are black. Additionally, “The University will no longer release a comprehensive list of pledges, a spokesperson citing ‘safety’ reasons said this week,” AL.com reported, a move in keeping with the school’s decision last year to limit “media access to rush organizers.”

http://jezebel.com/university-of-alabama-sorority-deletes-viral-recruitmen-1724521877

Morrisb likes this.
  2. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They're not bad, I mean if you're into girls.

3. jokeland

jokeland Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    surprisingly for Alabama, I did not see a single person of color in that video

4. KDK12

KDK12 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    TOO white!!!, shut the fuck up! Aren't there black only, Asian only, Latina only? Jezebel is a site for feminazi's. They are constantly triggered.

5. jokeland

jokeland Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    check that, the football player

6. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why does everything have to be so diverse now?

7. Dirty South

Dirty South Large Member

Reputations:
    How many you think the reggie in the vid has tagged? :hhh:

Wesmantooth and ScottBaiosPenis like this.
  8. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    Alpha Phi had the hottest girls at my University and it wasn't a close race.

9. SalsMasterShake

SalsMasterShake Mouthpiece VIP

Reputations:
  10. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i'd eat them out even if the crimson tide was gushing down their legs

pretty gross statement just to make a lame joke

but I probably would do it

11. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Feel the Gern

Reputations:

brb

greenchiclets and Wesmantooth like this.
  12. DinnerSocks

DinnerSocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The Duality of Man...

Half of me is thinking..."God Bless the University of Alabama and the whole South Eastern Conference!"

The other half of me is thinking..."None of these stuck up cunts would've given me the time of day back in College. Fuck'em all in the neck!"

13. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    there are so many all black sororities - how come jezebel doesn't complain about them?

:bigthink

14. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    :golfclap:

15. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    NOT GUILTY!!

Bye You!, greenchiclets and reno like this.
  16. David999

David999 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Nothing wrong with the video. Political correctness gone mad again:bleachcoffee:

17. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    :rs:

Cinnaminion and Shortwave98 like this.
  18. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I honestly don't see what the problem is - it's a Sorority, not the Science club. :dontknow:

I mean, isn't that what Sororities are? Pretty, homogenized girls, having fun-fun-fun?

19. Pickle Jar

Pickle Jar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Everyone of them will swallow about 2 gallons of cum before they graduate

JesusTwins and wife is a whore like this.
  20. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I am horrified by the lack of diversity of the Alabama Alpha Phi. I think they should show their diversity by adding their first middle aged male pledge this upcoming semester. I am willing to be a trail blazer for equality and be that pledge. No matter how much of a burden late night lingerie pillow fights may be on my psyche.