Update: 'affluenza' teen will do no jail time for killing 4

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Feb 5, 2014.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-due-back-court-article-1.1602998

[​IMG]

No jail for rich ‘affluenza’ teen, Ethan Couch, after deadly wreck: judge

For a second time, a Texas judge sentenced Ethan Couch to 10 years' probation for a wreck that killed four people. The ruling in Fort Worth on Wednesday was the same previously made by the judge. Prosecutors had asked the judge to sentence the 16-year-old to 20 years in state custody.

FORT WORTH, Texas — A judge on Wednesday ordered a Texas teenager who was sentenced to 10 years’ probation in a drunken-driving crash that killed four people to go to a rehabilitation facility paid for by his parents.

Judge Jean Boyd again decided to give no jail time for Ethan Couch, defense attorney Reagan Wynn and prosecutors told reporters after the hearing, which was closed to the public. Prosecutors had asked Boyd to sentence him to 20 years in state custody on charges related to two people who were severely injured.
    The sentence stirred fierce debate, as has the testimony of a defense expert who says Couch’s wealthy parents coddled him into a sense of irresponsibility. The expert termed the condition “affluenza.”

Wynn and prosecutor Richard Alpert would not identify the facility where Couch will go or where it is located. The teen’s family previously had offered to pay for Couch to go to a $450,000-a-year rehabilitation center near Newport Beach, Calif.

Couch, who is currently in state custody, is expected to receive alcohol and drug rehab, and could face prison time if he runs away from the facility or violates any other terms of his probation, Alpert said.

There is no minimum amount of time Couch must spend in the facility before his release, prosecutor Riley Shaw said.

RELATED: TEXAS PROSECUTORS TRY AGAIN TO GET ‘AFFLUENZA’ TEEN BEHIND BARS

Wynn ripped the media and the public’s focus on “affluenza” and said that his client was misunderstood.
    He said reporting of the Couch case had “so twisted the facts that were actually presented in court that I don’t think the truth will ever be able to come out now.”
    “It was ridiculous to think that we walked into court and said, ‘Oh, this is a rich white kid,’ and she decided to probate him,” he said.

But Alpert accused Wynn of hypocrisy, pointing out that a defense witness made the comment in the first place.
    “His witnesses don’t say things by accident,” Alpert said. “So they thought maybe that would help — that’s my interpretation — and it blew up on them. It was a stupid thing to say.”

[​IMG]

Couch’s parents did not speak to reporters as they entered the courtroom. Several relatives of Couch’s victims also attended Wednesday’s hearing.
    RELATED: WOES NOT OVER FOR TEXAS' "AFFLUENZA" BOY
    “The families feel like the same way they felt the last time they were here,” Alpert said.
    Asking Boyd to give Couch jail time for intoxication assault was a last-ditch effort by prosecutors, who have said they have almost no way to appeal the judge’s sentence in the case.

[​IMG]

Alpert said he hoped the Couch case would lead the Texas Legislature to allow juries to sentence some juvenile defendants. The case has already spurred calls for potential changes. Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, who serves as president of the Senate, has asked for a study of sentencing guidelines in intoxication manslaughter cases.

But Wynn lauded Boyd for giving Couch probation and recognizing the possibility that he could be reformed better in a rehab facility that in prison.
    “We recognize that 16-year-old kids are different from 25-year-old adults,” he said.

Couch was 16 at the time of the accident. His blood-alcohol level was three times the legal limit for an adult and there were traces of Valium in his system when he lost control of his pickup truck and plowed into a group of people helping a woman whose car had stalled.

Seven passengers were riding in Couch’s truck. One, Sergio Molina, is paralyzed and can communicate only by blinking. The other, Solimon Mohmand, suffered numerous broken bones and internal injuries.

[​IMG]

2. landfill

landfill Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Bullshit.

3. chapped

Reputations:
    fixed

4. landfill

Reputations:
    They see me rollin, I'm killing...kid needs to do 13 years.

5. landfill

Reputations:
    I agree 100%.

6. landfill

Reputations:
  7. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    This shit is beyond disgusting. I miss the days when people'd actually drag a little shit like this out of a courthouse a string 'im up on the tallest tree.

I hope to god that the relatives of the victims (both on the street and in Couch's struck) sue that shithead family blind.

8. Wiggie

Wiggie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A similar situation happen to someone I went to high school with. He was 16,he got juvi till he turned 21 and his older college sister who provided him the liquor got a felony and got 6 months.one passenger died and another was paralyzed. They where all partying and the driver lost control and hit a tree.

This seems way to lenient, they should investigate the judge. I smell bribe.

9. chapped

Reputations:

they have millions....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ents-affluenza-teen-20-arrests-citations.html

10. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Adam Carolla tells me the rich deserve special priviledges & unique rights because they pay more in taxes than the intellectually inferior common man.

11. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    Holy shit.

12. chapped

Reputations:
    To be fair that kid was poor

13. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Hey, you should be amped. That's close to the old fashioned jailhouse justice you idealize
    , surely you're aware they weren't stringing up the merchant's son back in the day.

Hint: they'd often boil in a big pot of water.

14. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Texas has some wacky stuff come out of their criminal justice system. This one is probably linked to money that gets to the judge in the future or already has in the past and favors are being called in.

15. SIPAWITZ

SIPAWITZ Bialy Whore Banned User

Reputations:
    He's right

16. chapped

Reputations:
    someone should ask the judge wtf is this jerkoff in rehab for??

wouldn't a harsh lesson be the only way to cure what he has???

17. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    He'll do time. The terms of the sentence require him to not touch alcohol or drugs for 10 years. The Judge doesn't run the department that tracks that. He'll be back in jail on and off most likely.

18. chapped

Reputations:

only way that will happen is if his parents go broke and can't pay for the top lawyers to bail him out yet again .

funny i keep reading that the victims will sue the family for ever last penny...

well good luck with that... these people have access to some fucking great lawyers and i am sure they will

fight and appeal to the bitter end to defend their fortune... i am pretty this scumbag family have already put some 'just in case' money away in an off shore account

i wish the victims familys the best and hope that when it's all said and done they take all their money and can somehoew find peace

19. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The judge should be put in jail along with the kid. Hope someone takes them both out.

20. Dreamking

Dreamking The dogs of doom are howlin' low...

Reputations:
    Zimmerman walked and now this dude.

They think strange down South