News ****Updated First Post****One Juror blamed for sparing James Holmes life

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Aug 8, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Juror in Aurora theater shooting trial speaks out

colorado-shooting.jpg

The jury deciding whether Aurora movie theater shooter James Holmes should be sentenced to death ended deliberations Friday after it became apparent one juror would not budge from her opposition to a death sentence, a juror told reporters.

Because the jury could not reach a unanimous decision, Holmes will be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for opening fire during a screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" on July 20, 2012, killing 12 people and wounding 70 others.

"We ended our deliberations when one absolutely would not move," the juror, who only identified herself as "juror 17," told reporters after the verdict Friday. Two other jurors were "on the fence" about the death penalty, she said.

The jury rejected arguments from Holmes' defense attorneys that he was legally insane when he carried out the attack and found him guilty of 24 counts of murder — two for each person he killed. Holmes' lawyers then argued it would be inhumane to execute a man who suffered from mental illness.

Juror 17 said the issue of mental illness appeared to be the reason the juror refused to vote to sentence Holmes to death. "There was no other concern," she said.

District Attorney George Brauchler said Friday that he was disappointed when the verdicts were read. He apologized to the families of the victims, but several relatives said at a news conference that he did all he could to secure a death sentence, and they appreciated his efforts.

"I still think death is justice for what that guy did, but the system said otherwise," Brauchler said. "I honor that, and I'll respect that outcome."

Juror 17 said the jury tried to reach a unanimous decision. The jury had less instructions than in previous decisions, leaving the issue more up to jurors' personal values and morals, she said. Earlier Friday, another juror asked to see video of the crime scene, which Juror 17 believes may have been an attempt to sway the juror opposed to a death sentence.

Juror 17 said some of the images shown during the months long trial will be hard to forget. The trial lasted 65 days and involved more than 300 witnesses and thousands of pieces of evidence. "It was very emotionally difficult," she said.

"I feel that we really truly did our best to come to a proper verdict," she said. Formal sentencing is set to begin on Aug. 24, and is expected to last three days

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-not-budge-james-holmes-death-penalty-n406346

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  2. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

JesusTwinsBiggestFan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i always think its crazy that it is more expensive to kill somebody than keep them in prison for life. just shows you how jacked up the legal system is. a bullet should only cost a dollar or two.

3. dawg

Reputations:
    And send the bill to his family for that bullet.

4. dawg

Reputations:
    Looks like he also gained some weight, your tax dollars are stuffing his belly pretty good looks like.

Limo Wreck, blindbella and Quedee like this.
  5. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    I'm not a fan of executing crazy people, but I don't want them walking around among us, either.

Scarlett Ohara and reno like this.
  6. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I'm against the death penalty but make him spend some time in "girls town." He'll demand the death penalty for sure!

CrucifiedAGT, isabella and GIRLY like this.
  7. ShutupMoron

ShutupMoron Unknown Member VIP

Reputations:
    Putting him to sleep seems far more humane to me than keeping him caged up in a cell for the next 50+ years.

TheJackiePuppet, Gusbuss and Dorb like this.
  8. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Death penalty way too easy for this guy.
    Small cell 23 hours a day for the rest of his life. No radio or tv and only a bible to read.

JFK and Gusbuss like this.
  9. Big Biscuit

Big Biscuit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I would be for the death penalty if it was carried out quickly after sentencing (3-6 months at the max), but Colorado hasn't sent anyone to their maker since 1997, so I guess this is the best one can hope for. I'm thinking this fucknut will not be with the general prison population or he would end up with a death sentence anyway.

SalsMasterShake likes this.
  10. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Chances are he'll get killed in prison.:lemmy:

GLguygardner and GIRLY like this.
  11. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This... The death penalty can make these guys feel like a martyr... Lock him up, forget about him

GLguygardner, Gusbuss and Dorb like this.
  12. Quedee

Quedee Wise Ass Extraordinaire

Reputations:
    Since the death penalty is rarely used, I'd support a bill that would ensure that anyone committed of a heinous crime like this would be released to the general prison population immediately without any kind of special protection or isolation at all. Then the real justice system inside the prison walls will take care of what needed to be done in the 1st place.

kingship, Slow, DinnerSocks and 3 others like this.
  13. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    i feel bad for the families who wanted this piece of shit dead.

i laugh at you people who think a beast like him shouldn't be put to death because he's supposedly insane.

and although many of you think that a long time in solitary is a punishment worse than death, i'll bet most of the families disagree with you. :hat:

14. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah, he been eating to many of thos prison hotdawgs. :p

GIRLY and dawg like this.
  15. Pussy Tendon

Pussy Tendon Wet! CUNT!!!!! Gold

Reputations:
    Jizz has a lot of calories?

GIRLY, Dorb and dawg like this.
  16. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Pretty sure it's not an opinion... Death is quick, relatively painless. Prison seems never ending. It's torture being locked up in solitary. In the end, most people will have regrets, it eats most people up. There's no question life behind bars is the greater punishment. Now, if he gets canteen, smokes, a tv and a radio, I'd be completely against this. Depends on his prison situation.

Dorb and Gusbuss like this.
  17. N Copter

N Copter Shot Dead Banned User

Reputations:
    He'll get out. All Batman villians get out.

[​IMG]

Humongous, kingship and JFK like this.
  18. Pickle Jar

Pickle Jar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He is the Joker.

19. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    every morning when the families wake up, they get to know that that piece of shit is breathing, eating, maybe enjoying reliving his murder spree. if he killed my baby girl, i wouldn't want him waking up. it's not about weather life in prison will be a worse punishment, it's about killing that garbage who killed their loved ones. death is punishment, life is life and the families know that he will live a long and healthy life. you call it justice, i call it bullshit.

20. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Most likely they will send him to SuperMax in Florence, Co. I would be shocked if he was sent to a regular prison and put in the general population. SuperMax would satisfy the victim's families.