News US citizens send more than $18m a year to Dutch man in lottery scam

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Jun 2, 2016.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    28-fraudster-rex.jpg

The US government has estimated that at least $18 million is sent in the post every year by vulnerable citizens to fraudulent companies in the Netherlands, believing they have won a large cash prize and want to claim their spoils.

Most of this fraud allegedly comes down to one man, 54-year-old Erik Dekker of Langbroek in Utrecht.

He and his two companies have been accused by the US Justice Department and by local authorities of carrying out mass mailing fraud since 2011, luring about 530,000 vulnerable and elderly people every year into putting their cash in a pre-marked envelope and sending it abroad.

One of the typical mailings reads: ““Today is the luckiest day of your life! […] I selected you in order to give you $36,000.00 EXCLUSIVELY to you!”

Hundreds of thousands of recipients received direct mail that falsely claimed they had won, or would soon win cash or valuable prizes “or otherwise come into great fortune” of at least $20,000.

Other mails purported to be from a woman called Olivia Kramer with "psychic powers” who promises to improve the victim’s financial and personal circumstances, and predicts that person will win the lottery. The mail urges the victim to purchase supernatural objects or services to secure the sum.

oliviakramer.jpg

(US Department of Justice)

The victims filled out a form with their personal details and sent cheques, usually between $15 to $55, via US mail to one of 50 P.O. boxes for two companies in Utrecht, allegedly operated by Mr Dekker.

scam1.jpg

One victim who received a letter from “Michael M”, saying the recipient would receive $36 million if they sent a “processing fee” of $50, wrote in a hand-written letter on 8 May: “I hope you didn’t give up on sending me the checks [sic]. I lost $260.00 in the grociery [sic] story and I had to call my son to pay for my food. I was so upset I couldn’t seep till 4.00 in the morning so I don’t have the $50.00 to send. Please forgive me OK.“

The Justice Department filed a civil complaint against Mr Dekker and his two companies, called Trends and KSB, to obtain a temporary restraining order, as well as obtain a temporary and permanent injunction under the Anti-Fraud Injunction Statute to prevent further fraud.

If the permanent injunction is granted, the US Postal Service would be allowed to intercept mail heading to Mr Dekker, and return it with the cash to victims.

“No one should ever be told they must pay a fee, or make a worthless purchase, to collect a prize,” said inspector in charge, Regina Faulkerson of the US Postal Inspection Service’s Criminal Investigation Group in a statement. “When that happens, it’s fraud - plain and simple - and Postal Inspectors work to keep those falsehoods out of the US mail.”

A preliminary hearing is set for 18 July.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ar-to-dutch-man-in-lottery-scam-a7062156.html

Vagineer likes this.
  2. garypagetwo

garypagetwo The Gun VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

RenchFries, check1, Jayla and 4 others like this.
  3. WillyBest

WillyBest Achiever Gold

Reputations:
    You hit that, Gar?

4. garypagetwo

garypagetwo The Gun VIP

Reputations:
    fuck yeah

WillyBest likes this.
  5. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :cool:

garypagetwo likes this.
  6. Leykis101

Leykis101 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Dutch women are pretty hot.

7. austin54

austin54 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Dutch clutch!.......All day long

8. MissTee

MissTee Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If I was sent that, I would just tell the people, "OK, just take my "processing fee" out of my "winnings". LOL!

9. lastlaugh

lastlaugh Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Anyone who thought $20000 was a fortune wasn't very bright to begin with. It's a small inheritance at best.

RenchFries likes this.
  10. Ba Ba Boolio

Ba Ba Boolio VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    For a retiree on a fixed income it's a fortune.

Penelope likes this.
  11. Stretch5000

Stretch5000 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  12. Hugh Blowmont

Hugh Blowmont Just be funny

Reputations:
    Is it that Dikkieman guy doing that, or does he still just walk around his apartment nude getting high...

13. Father O'Blivion

Father O'Blivion Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He might have been the best thing to ever happen to SFN. Spike has to be RIP by now. :(

check1, Hatfield and Hugh Blowmont like this.
  14. Penelope

Penelope VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    What's sad is that so many of these scams target the elderly, who are such easy prey in their often somewhat-addled states. I don't mind my mother sending a buck or two to her animal charities, but she's at the point where any smooth-talking little fuck will pull her heartstrings and get her to "commit" to a pledge--after which, they bombard her with spam both computerized and paper: "YOU PROMISED US..."

She lives in an upscale, very secure retirement community, and hell, I found a letter from her fucking paperboy the other day describing his wife's "illness" and his thanks for any donations that will help him continue to deliver her paper...yes she still gets a hard-copy newspaper :facepalm:...and I instructed her not to give this guy a fucking penny. I'm calling the place tomorrow to let them know this guy is scamming these poor older people who believe his bullshit.

It's never-ending crap, and a numbers game. For all the people like my mom who have six kids looking out for her, there are millions of seniors who don't have a soul to tell them, don't do it. Very frustrating.

RenchFries, AmishGirl and Fatass like this.
  15. Vagineer

Vagineer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He should've just opened a church.

RenchFries likes this.
  16. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Fantastic scam. Don't ask for too much, don't offer too much, and send it to a ton of old people.

RenchFries likes this.
  17. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    :(

Although :owned: is also pretty appropriate.

AmishGirl and Stretch5000 like this.