News Utah minor league baseball team cancels "Caucasian Heritage Night"

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Jun 21, 2015.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A minor league baseball team in Utah has canceled a scheduled 'Caucasian Heritage Night' and its communicator director has resigned after a wave of backlash on social media.

The event description on the Orem Owlz's calendar read 'Irish, Italian, Scandinavian, German...or even Utahn! Whatever your background, celebrate it at the Home of the Owlz!'

The team, an affiliate of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, said yesterday the night was meant to 'make fun of everyday normalcies', by including Wonder Bread on burgers with mayonnaise, clips from Friends and Seinfeld and 'trying to solve the vertical leaping challenge'.

But many people took to social media to express that they didn't find the theme night very funny at all, especially in light of the recent racially-motivated massacre of nine people at a historical black church in Charleston, South Carolina.

'While the Charleston victims families were offering prayers and forgiveness the Orem Owlz were busy planning "Caucasian Heritage Night", wrote a user named Diane on Twitter, adding the hashtag 'shame'.

'On Caucasian Heritage Heritage Night, when a pitcher gets two strikes on a hitter, will the crowd start chanting "K! K! K"?' asked user Logan Davis.

'Want Caucasian Heritage Night?' user Wisco tweeted. 'Great, it's also called Xmas, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, St. Pat's, & Columbus Day. Now stop whining'.

According to City Data, the population of Oren, Utah is more than 70 percent Caucasian.

On Friday the Orem Owlz announced it had canceled the August 10 event.

'We understand, in light of recent tragic events, that our intentions have been misconstrued. For that, we sincerely apologize,' read the released statement.

That same night the team lost their director of communications, Joey Zanaboni, who handed in his resignation and released a statement via Twitter on Saturday to explain his departure.

Zanaboni wrote that he was hired to work as the Owlz media director and play by play announcer only two weeks ago, and that 'Caucasian Heritage Night' was 'conceived and put on the schedule prior to my time with the club'.

He said he only became aware of the planned theme night during his first week of work.

'I raised serious concerns about it with multiple members of the front office, both verbally and via email,' he said.

'I registered my disagreement with carrying out such a promotion. I also warned that the event - no matter the intention of it - would cause public backlash.'

'My concerns were not taken seriously, and my advice went unheeded.'

Zanaboni said he would not reveal the names of the specific members who made sure the event would go on the team's promotions calendar, writing 'those individuals can take credit for that if they so desire'.

He wrote that he was not at all involved with writing the press release announcing the team's cancellation of the event.

Zanaboni, who wrote that he had always dreamed of calling baseball in an MLB franchise, said the entire situation had 'deeply disturbed' him and been emotionally taxing.

'I did not want a decision made by the organization's front office without my support to affect the work that I am passionate about.'

'But, in the end, the matter is simple: I have made the choice to no longer be part of the Orem Owlz and will not be involved with them going forward.'

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

DJ Retardo likes this.
  2. DJ Retardo

DJ Retardo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  3. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    you gotta be retarded to have thought this would end well

4. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What a stupid idea, where would they find enough Caucasians in Utah to fill a stadium?

DTF296 likes this.