News Vatican: Pope's chief astronomer says alien life exists

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Aug 17, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    We are not alone, says Vatican: Pope's chief astronomer says alien life exists, but it is unlikely to have been visited by Jesus
    • Vatican chief astronomer says there may be intelligent life on other planets
    • Discovery of new Earth-like planet Kepler-452b has strengthened this belief
    • He said 'vast majority of stars' could have planets that may support life
    • However Father Jose Funes said Jesus was a 'unique event' in history

It is just over 380 years since the Catholic Church condemned Galileo Galilei for arguing that the Earth was not the centre of the universe.

But it seems the Vatican has relaxed its view of mankind's place in the cosmos and even believes there may be intelligent alien life out there.

Astronomers at the Vatican Observatory, which has been studying the heavens since 1582, have said discoveries of new Earth like planets have strengthened their belief that there could be life on other planets.

earth2.0.png

Despite this, however, they have said even if there is intelligent life beyond our solar system, it is unlikely they would have been sent a second Jesus to save them.

Father Jose Funes, director of the Vatican Observatory in Rome, said it was also unlikely mankind may ever get to meet these alien civilisations

He said: 'It is probably there was life and perhaps a form of intelligent life… I don't think we'll ever meet a Mr Spock.

'The discovery of intelligent life does not mean there's another Jesus. The Incarnation of the son of God is a unique event in the history of humanity of the universe.'

It is not the first time Father Funes, who trained as an astronomer at the National University of Cordoba, has discussed the possibility of aliens living among the stars.

In 2008 he said belief in the existence of extraterrestial life did not contradict Catholic doctrine or the bible.

His latest comments come in the wake of Nasa's discovery of an Earth-like planet 1,400 light years away from our own by the Kepler space telescope.

Kepler 452b, as it has been called, is thought to be a rocky planet orbiting its star within the habitable zone where liquid water may form on the surface.

However, it is around 1.5 billion years older than our own planet.

2.0.png

hgdsjhgsdhgf.png

Father Funes described the discovery as 'great news'.

Writing in the Vatican's daily newspaper L'Osservatore Romano, he said: 'Our galaxy contains more than a hundred billion stars.

'Considering the number of exoplanets discovered, it seems that the vast majority of stars in our galaxy, at least potentially, can have planets where life could develop.

Although we do not know for sure whether the phenomenon of 'land' is rare or common.'
    He said that if there is intelligent life found on another planet, he does not see it as a contradiction to the Christian faith.

He said: 'The Bible is not a scientific book. If we look for scientific responses to our questions in the Bible, we are making a mistake.

'It answers great questions, like "what is our role in the Universe?"'

But he said even if there is life out there, it is unlikely humans will ever get to meet it.

He wrote in L'Osservatore Romano: 'The discovery of the new planet Kepler 452b revives the idea that contact and, why not, the encounter with extraterrestrial intelligent beings of an alien civilization could happen in the near future.

64638569.png

ay_i-a-1_1437672754257.jpg

'Personally I am very skeptical that this cosmic event actually happens.'

His comments are part of a significant change in the outlook of the Catholic Church on science.

Last year the Pope Francis said he believed the scientific account of the beginning of the universe 13.8 billion years ago with the Big Bang was accurate, but was part of God’s plan.

He also supported the notion that life evolved over millennia through natural laws and this did not contradict the idea of a divine creator.

In 1992 Pope John Paul II also apologised for the Catholic Church’s conviction and forced recantation of Galileo in 1633.

Read more:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...sts-unlikely-visited-Jesus.html#ixzz3j4fNjmpY
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

2. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
  3. Shadoe Stevens

Shadoe Stevens Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I wonder if they bang altar boys on these other planets,

4. dawg

Reputations:
    EmperorsNewCaps likes this.
  5. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I like this new Pope and his crew... doesnt seem to have his head stuck in 1247

Really radical for the Catholic Church

Mike Huntslooce likes this.
  6. dawg

Reputations:
    He said he would baptise the aliens.

EmperorsNewCaps likes this.
  7. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Jesus was an Alien, Duh. :jj:

Shortwave98 likes this.
  8. Mulletude

Mulletude I'm Big In The Hate Club, Ya Know VIP

Reputations:
    Even more amazing than the announcement that the Catholic Church concedes that their might be intelligent life elsewhere is the revelation that the Pope has his very own astronomer. Damn. I bet he has his own geologist, too.

9. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    The vatican is all about a good probing. The alien overloads are like their brother from another mother.

10. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    If there is life out there it is very rare because of a little thing called super novae.
    If any star near to us goes super nova it may take 5 or 10 or 20 years for the blast to hit us but when it does
    the initial gamma ray blast will rip away our atmosphere and destroy every living thing on earth.

Joe Bauers likes this.
  11. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have always believed there is life out there, wrote a paper in college about it. The universe is made up of the same materials and gases that Earth is, studies of recovered meteorites and samples taken from our own solar system confirm this.

There is no reason to believe water or oxygen are not abundant in the universe as well, of course with the discovery of extremophiles on our own planet, we know that not all life needs those elements or goldilocks zone temperatures to survive. Scientists have discovered a bacterium on Earth that doesn't breathe in oxygen, but instead respirates the manganese.

If organisms here can survive in places we once thought to be uninhabitable, it's very likely they live elsewhere as well.

12. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    Actually, in stark contrast to what many of the church's more outspoken critics would have you believe, some of the most accomplished astronomers in our history have been priests operating under the auspices of the Vatican.

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Cookiepus, cg256 and Mulletude like this.
  13. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I was surprised to see that he has an astronomer too.
    I wonder if he has a personal weatherman like Wiggy and Beth ?

Mulletude likes this.
  14. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    I disagree. There is no known life at the Vatican

Gusbuss likes this.
  15. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You're a Buzz Kill. :fil:

Shortwave98 and Head Censor like this.
  16. Dorb

Reputations:
    Sorry :(

Joe Bauers likes this.
  17. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    Like the Superman movies. General God.

Dorb likes this.
  18. 922Wine

922Wine Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    But who is to say that life on another planet couldn't survive such events? Perhaps we shouldn't use our planet's definition of (carbon-based) life as the standard. Maybe a gamma ray blast to intelligent life elsewhere is like a spring shower for us. You never know.

Dorb likes this.
  19. Dorb

Reputations:
    You make a good point but I should have mentioned that the secondary blast ffrom a super nova would rip apart the whole planet.

20. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    I'm stroking my hydrogen rod.

TheMercenary likes this.