Venice 1890 - 1900

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by XXXXX, May 17, 2015.

1. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Following the lead of HockT, below are some colorized postcards and photos of Venice, from approximately 1890 - 1900. For many reasons, Ti Amo Venezia per sempre...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg
    image.jpg

2. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Beautiful!

Shortwave98, teehee and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  3. Big Bad Booey

Big Bad Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's crowded and dirty today. What a shame.
    Great pics, thanks!

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  4. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Following are a few more pictures of Venice, from around the same time as the colorized ones above:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

SlowAdam and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  5. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You're welcome!

I have many friends in Venice that own shops, trattorias and Pizzerias -- some just a few steps from Rialto Bridge, and others in Piazza San Marco. They tell me that the floods have become so frequent, and so high, they lose well over 130 shopping days per year - especially in Piazza San Marco, the lowest point in the city. There is a loud siren warning when a storm is approaching. Interestingly, once the rain stops, the ancient drainage system is quite efficient. Unfortunately, after a storm / flood, there are many things (garbage of all types, including.....well never mind, dead birds and mammals, etc.) in the canals, and for a while, a less than pleasant smell.

Approximately 15 million people currently visit Venice each year (some say the number is closer to 20 million) - however, once the day trippers and people return to the cruise ships, it is quite nice and not anywhere near as crowded. One year, I was in Venice for Carnival - amazing to see the elaborate costumes, and while very crowded, people were in a very good mood.

The fish market is incredible - i've never seen so many different types of seafood in my life. The nearby islands of Murano (glass) and Burano (hand made lace) should not be missed. The skill and craftsmanship on display in the workshops and factories on these two islands, is truly remarkable.

I would strongly encourage anyone that is interested, to go and experience this most amazing and unique place - before it is gone.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    1Vegasgirl likes this.
  6. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    :hersh:

Shortwave98 likes this.
  7. BethsBraneCell

BethsBraneCell Sandy Cunt Banned User

Reputations:
    My wife was stationed in Italy in the early 2000's and she said Venice smelled BAD!