News Very High End NYC Restaurant Eliminates Tipping

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Dec 1, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Another big-deal restaurateur will eliminate tipping next year
    [​IMG]
    Chef Daniel Humm at the kitchen of Eleven Madison Park in New York City. (Reuters)

Eleven Madison Park, the three Michelin-starred restaurant lauded for its seasonal tasting menus, will eliminate tipping in its Manhattan dining room in 2016.

The restaurant will raise the price of its tasting menu from $225 to $295 per person—an increase of 31 percent, reports Eater. Beverage pairings will go up by $15, from $155 to $170, while overall wine prices will rise by roughly seven to ten percent, depending on the vintage. After the optional wine pairing, a table for two will likely cost over $1,000.

Owners Daniel Humm and Will Guidara are following in the steps of another Manhattan restaurateur Danny Meyer, CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group, which includes Union Square Cafe, Gramercy Tavern, Blue Smoke, Jazz Standard. Meyer has been mentoring Humm and Guidara, as well as chef and "Top Chef" host Tom Colicchio to eliminate tipping to help overcome the wage disparity between front-of-the-house workers like waiters and those in the back of the house, like dishwashers who tend to make less money.

"From a purist perspective, what I believe is right is ultimately moving away from tips," Guidara told Eater. "That said, I don't think we're fully there yet, everywhere."

Guidara says that he plans to raise server wages by $2.50 and raise the wages of kitchen staffers by about $1 per hour.

Says the restaurateur, "If we have to do it for the servers, and I think the servers deserve it, then we have to do it for the cooks too.”

Eleven Madison Park is currently ranked fifth on San Pellegrino’s top 50 best restaurants in the world and the move to eliminate tipping pushes the establishment into the realm of the country’s most expensive places to dine.

The move should also encourage staff to take time off and wages won't be affected by slower or busier seasons.

But Guidara is not ready to expand the gratuity-included model to his other eateries, including The NoMad, like Meyer did recently.

Says Guidara, "Maybe we're not yet at a point where the guest is willing to pay $115 for the chicken and we can give cooks the $5 to $7 raise they actually deserve. But I think that's a part of the next few years that's going to be good because I do think we're going to start to get there."

2. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    $1000 for dinner for two!!!

3. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure that's what Howard and Beth paid for their Thanksgiving eggplant parm last week.

4. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
    May I have 3 almonds and a small cup of hot water with 1 mint leaf? $1,000? Thank you.

5. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That's a place I won't be grabbing a bite next time I'm stuck in nyc

6. Evil Clown

Evil Clown 34 VIP

Reputations:
    Agreed. Too low brow for me. :)

7. Gigashadow

Gigashadow Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    After gouging their customers for 1k on a dinner for two the least they can do is get rid of the $200 tip. :rolleyes:

Cookie_Puss and DiamondGoddess like this.
  8. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    LOL, raises the price of a meal $73, ups the server's pay $2.50/hour a cooks a buck. What a swell guy.

DiamondGoddess and MadWoman777 like this.
  9. Ganggreen87

Ganggreen87 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So basically he's raising his prices 31 percent so you don't have to tip
    He pays his staff say ten percent or fifteen percent more and keeps the rest
    Where's the deal?

I hate tipping

10. MadWoman777

MadWoman777 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Isn't this the place where Robin threw Fred's birthday party? It was on Sternthology last week.

11. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    They seem to be "working toward" no tipping, as obviously a $2.50/hour raise won't make up for not getting a tip on a $1,000 check. Guy's an asshole and too assholish to reailze how bad this story makes him look. He caters to assholes, so being an asshole is probably a plus.

DiamondGoddess likes this.
  12. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    There are restaurants doing this that aren't THAT expensive. It's smart business for a eatery that can afford to.
    Makes the dining experience better