News Very proud of my hometown

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by God, May 7, 2015.

1. God

God Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Gloucester police announce changes to heroin policy

GLOUCESTER, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- Police in one North Shore town are turning to alternatives to try and tackle the growing heroin problem in Massachusetts.

The Gloucester Police Department announced a number of changes to their policies and the way they handle addicts beginning in June.

"Any addict who walks into the police station with the remainder of their drug equipment (needles, etc.) or drugs and asks for help will not be charged. Instead, Gloucester police will walk them through the system toward detox and recovery," a statement from the police department read.

Both Lahey Clinic in Burlington and Addison Gilbert Hospital in Gloucester are partnering with the police department to assist those who walk into the police department looking for help.

Additionally, Narcan, a nasal spray that is an antidote to those experiencing opiate overdoses, will be available at a local pharmacy, Conley's Drug Store, which has locations in Gloucester and Ipswich, to anyone regardless of if they have health insurance or not.

"The police department will pay the cost of nasal Narcan for those without insurance," Gloucester Police Chief Leonard Campanello said. "We will pay for it with money seized from drug dealers during investigations."

The police department is also working with local CVS pharmacy locations on a similar deal.

Chief Campanello is traveling to Washington, D.C. to meet with Massachusetts Senators Elizabeth Warren and Ed Markey as well as Congressman Seth Moulton to discuss the federal aid and support for local efforts combating the heroin epidemic.

Police say, "We have to take the stigma away from alcoholism and drug addiction... Because the people aren't bad people, they're addicted people."
    The announcement had been shared more than 13,000 times on the police department's Facebook page.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/289...-heroin-policy

Gloucester Police Department
    Leonard Campanello, Chief of Police
    197 Main St.
    Gloucester , MA 01930

---
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015

GLOUCESTER -- In a historic shift in police drug policy, Police Chief Leonard Campanello announced at a citywide forum that the Gloucester Police Department is implementing major changes to the way it handles the opioid and drug epidemic that has swept through every community in the nation.

"We are poised to make revolutionary changes in the way we treat this disease," Chief Campanello told residents.

The Gloucester Police Department will implement the following measures, beginning in June:

1. Any addict who walks into the police station with the remainder of their drug equipment (needles, etc.) or drugs and asks for help will NOT be charged. Instead, Gloucester Police will walk them through the system toward detox and recovery.

"We will assign them an 'angel' who will be their guide through the process. Not in hours or days, but on the spot," Chief Campanello said.

Addison Gilbert Hospital in Gloucester and Lahey Clinic have committed to helping fast track people that walk into the police department so that they can be assessed rapidly and the proper care can be administered quickly.

2. Nasal Narcan has just been made available at local pharmacies without a prescription. The police department has entered into an agreement with Conley's Drug Store and is working on one with CVS that will allow anyone access to the drug at little to no cost regardless of their insurance.

"The police department will pay the cost of nasal narcan for those without insurance," Chief Campanello said. "We will pay for it with money seized from drug dealers during investigations. We will save lives with the money from the pockets of those who would take them. We recognize that nasal narcan is not the answer, but it is saving lives and no one in this City will be denied a life saving drug for this disease just because of a lack of insurance. Conley's has also agreed to assist with insurance requests from those who do not have any."

3. Chief Campanello will travel to Washington,D.C. with the support of Mayor Sefatia Romeo Theken, the City Council, Senator Bruce Tarr, and Representative Ann-Margaret Ferrante, on May 12 and 13.

There, he will meet with Senators Elizabeth Warren and Ed Markey and Congressman Seth Moulton.

"I will bring what Gloucester is accomplishing and challenge them to change at the federal level how we receive aid, support and assistance," Chief Campanello said. "I will bring the idea of how far Gloucester is willing to go to fight this disease and will ask them to hold federal agencies, insurance companies and businesses accountable for building a support system that can eradicate opiate addiction and provide long term, sustainable support to reduce recidivism."

Chief Campanello plans to lobby the Federal Government to increase the share of monies seized from drug dealers that is given to local communities, earmarking it for recovery and prevention services.

--

On Saturday, May 2, the City held a forum regarding the opiate crisis, and on how Gloucester has many resources for help. Afterward, Chief Campanello posted his plans on the department's Facebook page. Since Saturday, the post has attracted nearly 800,000 unique views.

His remarks also included the following:

"I am asking for your help," Chief Campanello wrote. "Like this post, send it to everyone you can think of and ask them to do the same. Speak your comments. Create strength in numbers. I will bring it with me to show how many voters are concerned about this issue. Lives are literally at stake. I have been on both sides of this issue, having spent seven years as a plainclothes narcotics detective. I have arrested or charged many addicts and dealers.

"I've never arrested a tobacco addict, nor have I ever seen one turned down for help when they develop lung cancer, whether or not they have insurance. The reasons for the difference in care between a tobacco addict and an opiate addict is stigma and money. Petty reasons to lose a life.

"Please help us make permanent change here in Gloucester."

2. WillyBest

WillyBest Achiever Gold

Reputations:
    God. Damn.

monsoon likes this.
  3. goldtopper

goldtopper Well Known Heterosexual Gold

Reputations:
    Yay for no personal responsibility and tax payer funded bailouts.

:grid:

4. God

God Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Right...never try a new approach.

Everyone knows the "War On Drugs" has been a smashing success.

5. Quality Control

Quality Control dove Gold

Reputations:
    I hope it's a great success, God. :)

6. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    The drug courts here is Mass are having a lot of success

7. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    ...they should do away with methadone clinics too, those are a farce

8. goldtopper

goldtopper Well Known Heterosexual Gold

Reputations:
    Cool, repost and have all the addicts move to Massachusetts. They will inevitably revert to their way of life and rob and kill to support their habits.
    I guess I do think this is a good idea.

kggtty and A. Genius like this.
  9. Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath Nothing to prove

Reputations:
    That IS very cool......

Gusbuss, monsoon and Shortwave98 like this.
  10. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Pretty sure walking into a police station and admitting you have a heroin problem asking for help is the pinnacle of personal responsibility.

cookie5000, aquadog, Gusbuss and 10 others like this.
  11. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Just say no.

reno and RenchFries like this.
  12. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    I for one am very sad to hear that our over-crowded prisons will now be able to lock up rapists, embezzlers and murderers, instead of the much more compliant and easily managed drug addicts. As they say: It is far better to allow one murderer go free than to see 100 dope addicted hippies and corner boys not go to jail.

13. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    I would rather see a "we don't give a fuck" policy. Supply all of the heroin the degenerates want and let them overdose. Win-win.

dawg, Gusbuss, DrDestouches and 8 others like this.
  14. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That is an easy way to dismiss it.

One of my exes committed suicide after she got caught up in it.

She had been peer pressured into heroin as a kid. Lived in Seattle. Was the thing to do. She ran around the same circles as Courtney and Kurt and all of the Grunge crowd.

After the drugs took over, her parents kicked her out of the house. She stayed homeless for a bit until she was stabbed seven times in the park. She vowed to stay clean if the parents would take her back. Then, she got bowel cancer. She fought that off after long years of treatment and chemo and port-o-caths and bullshit.

Got a double masters in business. Set to rule the world. Clean for ten years.

And slipped.

I couldn't save her. Her parents couldn't save her. She killed herself - I think with a needle to the neck. She had mentioned that before to me. I have not asked her parents to clarify because I don't want to hurt them anymore.

Drugs can get anybody. Addiction doesn't favor people that are unwilling to take responsibility - it can get anybody prone to it.

Any kind of drug reform would be nice. Rehab programs. Detox. Not charging the people that need the most help with drug crimes - unless they are distributing and actually doing evil shit.

Good for Gloucester Police.

15. CaptainFrank

CaptainFrank Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Sure they are.

I hear that same mantra too.... but look a little deeper, and you will find all the drug court is for the overwhelming majority is just a first time free pass.

PS... what this Police dept is doing is pretty much standard policy at most places now, at least in my area.

16. CaptainFrank

Reputations:

You're buying into the liberal bullshit about prison being full of drug users... they aren't.

they barely have room for murderers and major cartel drug dealers... small time offenders don't get prison time.. much less users.

17. CaptainFrank

Reputations:
    It's amazing how clueless you are..

you think they are a farce, because all you see are the people they don't help, they are the visible users..

you don't see the people for whom methadone offers a way back.. the people who are trusted with a week's supply at a time, and can get back to work and being productive.

18. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    snort.gif

RenchFries likes this.
  19. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    They can't just throw away their drugs and paraphenalia? They have to carry it in to a police station?

"WE" will guide the ...blah blah" . You mean the taxpayers will be forced to pay for it. The police aren't giving up anything. Everyone is a generous big spender with other people's money.

Note how they treat seized drug money as if it's their own personal slush fund, it doesn't belong to the citizens. Gee, I wonder why illegal seizures are so common?

And everyone on planet earth since the early 70's at least has known how the story plays out when you do heroin. And since the 80's for coke.

I'm addicted to laying in bed and junkets to the beach and Vegas paid for on credit cards. Give me money too or you're an asshole.

Stephan Molyneaux on Boomers

20. tHISisKiSSeL

tHISisKiSSeL ♡❂❁❀♡ Gold

Reputations:
    "We will pay for it with money seized from drug dealers during investigations."

XaltedSmoke likes this.