Veterinary Questions for Cat Experts

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by ClumpyStern, May 22, 2015.

1. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    Our 14 year-old cat had his radio-iodine therapy for hyperthyroidism last summer and has been fine since. Last Sunday he suddenly stopped eating and shitting and he's been at the vet's since Monday. They had to give him 2 enemas to clean him out and they think he has cardiomyopathy but can't say which type unless we do the cardiology thing. Thinking back, he's been less active and sleeping a lot more for a few months but no other symptoms until last week. They say they might hear a murmur and he might have a little pulmonary congestion. Our priority is quality of life, not longevity, and I'd rather have him a few more months than drag him back and forth to vets and veterinary cardiologists to prolong his life for a miserable year or more. We're OK with having him just keel over or having to put him down if he starts to have trouble breathing, etc. What I'm not OK with is him ever suffering an excruciating blood clot for half an hour or an hour until we can have him put down after it happens. I want to spare him unnecessary vet work, but I'd consider taking him to a cardiologists once just to ID which type of CM he has if that would allow us to asses the risk of clotting and just medicate him at home...but not if it requires regular trips back to monitor him. Is it possible to just medicate him after diagnosis and just give him a moderate dose and then let nature take its course? I understand why you can't do that with people, but couldn't we just guestimate a dosage of the best choice of drug for his condition and hope for the best with a cat to spare him the vet visits? Sort of an intermediate approach between giving him nothing at all or doing the whole traditional cardiology treatments. Can we put him on just stool softeners to prevent recurring constipation and some kind of blood thinner to reduce the chances of a blood clot? Appreciate whatever you can suggest. We're OK with losing him, but we just want whatever time he has left to be as comfortable and painless as possible. Thank you.

monsoon and GloriaGrace like this.
  2. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    Sorry for all of this. But may I ask why you don't take these questions to your vet?

They know you and your cat much better than anyone here would.

3. Pooh bear

Pooh bear Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I have cats that old..... I'd like to be able to feed my real, human kids than to throw money down a rat hole.
    They don't live forever for goddsakes......

babybear, ohmicah and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  4. ClumpyStern

Reputations:
    I did ask him but he kind of punted to the cardiologist and I'm not really anticipating too much open-mindedness from a cardiologist about anything other than doing nothing or following his usual protocol...and I'm trying to decide whether I can spare him even that first visit to another vet by asking people with experience, like GatGirl, who I believe is a vet. I did some reading but they don't really discuss anything other than the two options of full treatment or doing nothing. As far as I can tell, Hypertrophic CM presents the greatest risk of clotting, but I'd like to know how much of a difference there is among the 3 types of CM in relation to blood clots.

5. Alisonsbankacct

Reputations:
    If you aren't comfortable that you will receive unbiased answers from the cardiologist perhaps you could also consider one of the paid veterinary Q/A websites. The fees are usually quite nominal and their only interest is in assisting you. Good luck.

teehee, Shortwave98 and stanggirl like this.
  6. ClumpyStern

Reputations:
    I don't have any fucking kids and money is not an issue. Maybe you missed this part tripping over yourself to throw in your unhelpful sarcasm:

"We're OK with having him just keel over or having to put him down if he starts to have trouble breathing, etc. What I'm not OK with is him ever suffering an excruciating blood clot for half an hour or an hour until we can have him put down after it happens."

selloutwig likes this.
  7. fixer

fixer I'm Retarded you Jerk. On the Power.

Reputations:
    Sorry, but you have to put the cat down. Had to do it to my dog last year, sucks but don't let your cat suffer.

monsoon and Skipnoid like this.
  8. Alisonsbankacct

Reputations:
    I will tag in @GatGirl69 to see if she is comfortable / wishes to comment.

Petal and Shortwave98 like this.
  9. Tovahund

Tovahund Just a good dog.

Reputations:
  10. The Jackie chair

The Jackie chair Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Crap, my wife the vet fell asleep. Sounds like 1, you need a quality of life assessment for your cat just to make sure you can have a clear conscious on any decision you take. 2 The vet needs to understand what your plan is for your cat, since dosing a medication at a higher or lower level than necessary can have bad side effects especially with clotting. The constipation is easy to fix, you mix in canned pumpkin in with the food. It keeps in moisture to keep it soft. Best of luck this is a tough one.

joyceface and GloriaGrace like this.
  11. TheWonk

TheWonk POTY Music Forum Gold

Reputations:
  12. cygnus2112

cygnus2112 In The Prep Room

Reputations:
    I worked as a vet tech for almost 3 years. I would say you need to direct the questions to the cardiologist. But I'm also going to tell you this: they will want to do test after test. Some necessary and some not. They will suggest procedures that are not needed. Trust me on this. I do not know what city or state you are in, but vets are hurting for money. 75% of the people cannot afford veterinary surgeries and proper care. Some don't pay their bills. So the Vets business hurts. They add on stuff if they know you can pay. It sucks but it is what happens. Do what makes you comfortable, but avoid excess testing. Ask questions and research everything after you get answers from them. Do not let them do anything until you research first. Main concern is your kitties comfort and quality of life as it comes to an end. It'll be sadand it will suck so bad, but at least you'll have peace of mind you did t make the little guy go through unnecessary crap and you get to say goodbye to him peacefully. I hope the best for you and the kitty.

13. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    @Whorse

14. Shamrock12

Shamrock12 Bouncy... Bouncy...

Reputations:
    dude just wants an honest answer, hope he can find it here

babybear, teehee and stanggirl like this.
  15. Shamrock12

Shamrock12 Bouncy... Bouncy...

Reputations:
    u have to do what you can live with and whats best for them... hope neither of my cats ever gets sick... id be instantly broke

stanggirl likes this.
  16. Batwings

Batwings Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I would see how it responds to treatment, if it isn't responding, you can be at peace knowing you tried everything you could before letting him go.

17. Splash

Splash Huge Member VIP

Reputations:

I'm a vet. And by the time I was done reading this I shot myself up with the stuff I gave your cat. :happy bye:

Skipnoid likes this.
  18. Wonky Eye

Wonky Eye Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    We had a cat with diabetes that we cherished. We always thought we'd do everything we could to give him good quality of life. And we did for 7 years - insulin injections twice a day, special food, and all that stuff. The vet said the diabetes would not kill him per se, but the complications (kidney function, etc.) would. Our vet always told us that we knew him and his habits more than he did from a medical aspect and that we would know when the time was right. We ended up giving sub-Q fluids twice daily for 6 months and everything was fine, he still acted normally - sugar under control, eating fine, playfull, everything was great. But then he just crashed. We knew it was time. It was so hard, but we knew. There is a time you just have to let go for the good of the animal and stop the suffering. You will know when this time is, just don't confuse it with what you WISH versus what you KNOW. I still miss my Smokey....

Ass Whole, joyceface, Petal and 4 others like this.
  19. Splash

Splash Huge Member VIP

Reputations:
  20. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Vets look at each of our pets and think, how can you help make me rich?