News Video Released Of The Death Of Combat Veteran SGT James Brown In El Paso County Jail

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, May 15, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:

EL PASO, Texas - An active-duty Fort Bliss soldier self-reported for a two day DWI sentence at the El Paso County Jail in 2012 but died before he saw the light of day or his family again.

In July 2012, KFOX14 anchor Erika Castillo reported on the story of the mysterious circumstances surrounded the death of Sgt. James Brown while he was in jail.

KFOX14 fought all the way to the Texas attorney general to obtain the video to learn what happened to Brown before dying.

The graphic video obtained shows the moments before the death of Brown.

Brown served two tours of combat duty in Iraq. The decorated 26-year-old was on active duty at Fort bliss in July 2012, when he left his family for the weekend to self-report for a two day DWI sentence at the El Paso County Jail. When he checked in, jail records show that Brown reported in writing to the jail that he was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress.

Brown’s mother, Dinetta Robinson-Scott, released the following statement to KFOX14:

“I pray that new laws protecting soldiers in custody will be implemented, that the military adopt new policy procedures in regards to their soldiers being held in custody by an outside agency. If these changes can be made and our soldiers are protected, and another family never has to experience what my family has, then my son's death would not been in vain.”

Browns mother turned to KFOX14 and said she wants Americans to see the video and see exactly what happened to her son in El Paso County Detention Center.

Brown was placed on a gurney and wheeled out of the jail and taken to University Medical Center where he was officially pronounced dead.
    Brown family attorneys Jason Bowles and B.J. Crow said the video shows a gross violation of Brown’s constitutional rights.

“When a 26-year-old man checks into jail for a court imposed sentence on a Friday, and he leaves Sunday in a casket, something went horribly wrong there," said Crow.

Brown had no criminal record, and toxicology tests showed no illegal drugs in his body.
    The autopsy results cited natural causes by sickle cell crisis.

The El Paso County Sheriff Richard Wiles issues a statement, released to KFOX14, agreeing with the autopsy.

“Mr. Brown's death was an unfortunate tragedy. The sheriff's office has conducted a thorough review of the facts surrounding Mr. Brown's death and, based upon all the evidence obtained, determined that his death was caused by a pre-existing medical condition. The specific evidence cannot be discussed because of pending litigation.”

Medical studies show sickle crisis lies dormant until it is triggered by dehydration and stress.

Brown’s attorney said apparently more stress than can be triggered by coming under fire in combat twice, which Brown did.

His family said Brown showed no history of ever having a sickle cell crisis incident in his life and is convinced the medical episode was triggered by his treatment at the jail.

“He was bleeding out the ears, the nose, the mouth, his kidney's shut down, his blood pressure dropped to a very dangerous level, and his liver shut down,” said Crow.

Brown’s story is a federal civil trial that is expected to go to court in October.

His family is suing for damages, claiming violation of the American with Civil Liberties Act because of Brown's PTSD, excessive force, and lack of proper medical attention.

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/features...th-while-in-custody-130924.shtml#.VVaDuje37tR

2. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller floating around

Reputations:
  3. dawg

Reputations:
    Toward the end of the video, after Brown has said he can’t breathe at least 20 times, he is left naked in a cell, not blinking or responding, his breathing shallow. Attorneys say an ambulance was never called. Brown was eventually brought to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Authorities claim he died from natural causes after an autopsy report cited a "sickle cell crisis," but his family says he died as a result of his treatment in jail. Their attorney, B.J. Crow, spoke to KFOX.

piledriver123 likes this.
  4. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    Whoopsie!

check1 likes this.
  5. dawg

Reputations:
    Texas is known for rough Jails.

6. Lemmy

Reputations:
    I just don't understand the lack of a thought of self preservation. I admit to not caring much for other people in general but long before I was concerned of being recorded I never felt it was worth any risk in not getting someone medical care. There is zero advantage to denying it.

Of course I don't enjoy seeing others suffer either.

7. dawg

Reputations:
    Thank God for good cops like you Lemmy. Your work is much respected and appreciated.

8. Lemmy

Reputations:
    We'll see if you feel the same after our upcoming "protests". If I make the news I'll give the Shed a shoutout! :c

9. dawg

Reputations:
    :jj:

10. Lemmy

Reputations:
    Seriously. I don't much care for people and I'm not known for my empathy BUT I do my best to be a professional......follow the laws and rules and you can't go wrong. Being nice to people until there is a reason not to only makes my job easier so why be a dick all of the time? I don't "care" if a rapist in my custody drops dead.....I sure as fuck care if I can be held liable for it and lose my job/go to jail. Pretty simple actually.

11. dawg

Reputations:
    No one could ask for anything more. That's all we can ask is for people to be professionals, you dont have to care just be professional.

Dorb likes this.
  12. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Rough compared to the rest of the country... That's not exactly rough... Kinda like a massachusetts republican is different than an Alabama republican

13. dawg

Reputations:
    You dont consider a decorated Combat Veteran being killed in jail by riot police rough? :wtf:

piledriver123 and Droog like this.
  14. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    This whole thing is weird to me.

Not excusing his death, but I don't understand his non-communication at the start of the video. He appears lucid. Yet elects not to offer an explanation to the guard as to the presence of blood...or say anything at all. His family said he was unaware he had sickle cell anemia and had never shown signs of it. Why wouldn't he at least say, "I've been bleeding from my eyes and ears, and I don't understand why."

I assume the jail's standard procedure is to subdue someone who may be showing signs of a suicide attempt -- the significant amount of blood could make them think that. However, if you have probably cause to suspect a suicide attempt, why would they not also immediately contact medical services?

dawg likes this.
  15. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    This makes me sick to my stomach. I don't know what's going on with law enforcement these days but this kind of shit is getting way out of hand. They can subdue a person without killing them. No need to suffocate them. "I can't breathe" seems to be the last words of far too many people who encounter police.

16. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Here's what I don't understand. If someone is pinned down by multiple people and they have their hands behind their back and complain of not being able to breathe, why are people still crushing them? Hard to be calm if you're suffocating from being crushed. You're going to struggle until you stop breathing.

17. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    To be fair, "I can't breathe" has long been the magic phrase used by experienced people getting arrested /jailed to either get a trip to a hospital for a night (vs a shitty jail) or to get cops to relax their grip. They were faking afflictions at a place I worked that had drunks arrested daily by the dozen back in the 80's. People with frequent experience with law enforcement would probably be hip to that. The jailers probably just assume someone is playing games with them. They see so much of it.

Screaming bloody murder like you're in pain is probably the most common example of attempts to manipulate authorities. So this would explain some of the recent deaths from actual heath problems as the jaded police ignore them.

"Chest pains" is one phrase used by people who want a free ride in an ambulance. They're called "frequent flyers". http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/02/frequent_fliers_abuse_ambulanc.html

For someone who is broke in a ghetto it beats hoofing it for an hour to get somewhere. Human beings are a lot more manipulative than many people think. The more "good citizen" a person acts when it custody, the more likely they are to take a complaint seriously.

18. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    There's more to this. I wonder if the whole story will ever come out?

19. MrPACS

MrPACS Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Great job murdering fuckers

20. wujekcity

wujekcity Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    they say he isnt resisting on the video? then why are 14 guys having a hard time keeping him down???? what a dumb cunt in this video