Shop Now At Amazon

Videogames under fire, Hollywood lays low after school shooting

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Dec 20, 2012.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    [h=1]Videogames under fire, Hollywood lays low after school shooting[/h]

By Jill Serjeant

LOS ANGELES | Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:57pm EST

(Reuters) - The multi-billion-dollar videogame industry came under scrutiny on Wednesday after Hollywood canceled, postponed or played down a slew of movies and TV shows with violent content in the wake of last week's shooting at a Connecticut elementary school.

In Washington, Senator John Rockefeller called for a national study of the impact of violent videogames on children and a review of the rating system.
    Although investigators in Newtown, Connecticut, have given no motive for Friday's shooting rampage, some U.S. media have reported that the 20-year-old gunman played popular videogame "Call of Duty" - in which players conduct simulated warfare missions - in the basement of his home.
    The gunman, Adam Lanza, killed himself at the scene after gunning down 20 young children, six school employees and his mother.
    Rockefeller said he had long been concerned about the impact of violent games and videos on children.
    "Major corporations, including the video game industry, make billions on marketing and selling violent content to children. They have a responsibility to protect our children," Rockefeller said in a statement.
    The Entertainment Software Association, which represents the $78 billion U.S. videogame industry, on Wednesday offered its "heartfelt prayers and condolences" to the Newtown families.
    But it said in a statement that "the search for meaningful solutions must consider the broad range of actual factors that may have contributed to this tragedy.
    "Any such study needs to include the years of extensive research that has shown no connection between entertainment and real-life violence," the association said.
    NEW 'CALL OF DUTY,' 'HALO' GAMES RAKE IN BILLIONS
    Activision Blizzard's latest title in its "Call of Duty" franchise - "Call of Duty: Black Ops II" - hit $1 billion in sales two weeks after its launch last month.
    Other popular videogames include Microsoft's "Halo 4," in which players kill evil aliens. The game racked up $220 million in global sales on its launch day in November.
    Mike Hickey, an analyst at National Alliance Capital Markets, said backlashes against videogames were not rare, but he was unaware of an instance of games being pulled off store shelves in the past.
    When the Columbine school shooting happened in 1999, there was a similar outcry because the two perpetrators were students who played the shooter game "Doom," Hickey told Reuters.
    Executives at Hollywood movie studios and TV networks have mostly laid low this week as Americans seek answers to the Newtown slaughter, and discuss how to prevent similar gun violence.
    However, content seen as sensitive has been pulled from the airwaves, including an episode of the SyFy TV series "Haven" that contained violent scenes in a high school setting, and the premiere next week of a TLC show called "Best Funeral Ever."
    Discovery Channel canceled a third season of its reality series "American Guns" about a family of gun makers. Some radio stations stopped playing pop star Ke$ha's bubbly new single "Die Young" to avoid any potential offense.
    Glitzy red carpet premieres for violent upcoming new movies "Jack Reacher," starring Tom Cruise, and "Django Unchained" starring Jamie Foxx, were canceled out of respect for the Newtown victims, but both movies will open in theaters as planned in the next seven days.
    INSENSITIVE TODAY, OK TOMORROW?
    The Parents TV Council praised the response of the entertainment industry this week, but said it shouldn't be confined to the immediate aftermath of such tragedies.
    "If a television network changes its programming because of content that could be insensitive today, why would that same content be appropriate at a later time?," council president Tim Winter said in a statement.
    "If producers and performers rightly question whether their industry is complicit in creating a violent media culture that feeds real-life tragedies, why would there be a later time to produce and distribute more of it?," Winter added.
    Most major Hollywood stars have remained silent about the potential influence of violent movies on U.S. society. But "Django Unchained" star Foxx was quoted as saying the movie industry should not shirk its responsibility.
    "We cannot turn our back and say that violence in films or anything that we do doesn't have a sort of influence," Foxx was quoted as saying while promoting the film in New York.
    Director Quentin Tarantino called the Newtown shootings "a horrible tragedy," but in an interview with CNN on Monday he declined to link screen violence with real life events.
    "This has gone back all the way down to Shakespeare's days ... when there's violence in the street, the cry becomes 'blame the playmaker.' And you know, I actually think that's a very facile argument to pin on something that's a real life tragedy," Tarantino said.

2. Woof

Woof Liver Shots? VIP

Reputations:
    Politicians way for asking for hush money.....I mean 'Donations' from the Industry.

Biggest load of Bullshit possible.All those other countries that play these type of games,How many 'Mass Shootings' there?

Alcohol and certain 'Drugs' have more impact on Real world Violence.......

Also,How many Hit and Run can be attributed to 'Grand Theft Auto'??????

3. Howard103

Howard103 New Member

Reputations:
    Ridiculous... society is violent, deal with it. Stop looking for the easy scapegoat, maybe try to make some real changes for once :facepalm:

4. SiriusDawg

SiriusDawg New Member

Reputations:
    In reality, can someone find a non-NRA sponsored site or forum where people aren't blasting those trying to tie violent games to actual mass murders? Even the National Review and others who are Pro-NRA are blasting the idiots trying to act like playing Call of Duty will make someone go out and shoot a bunch of people.

5. gridlockd

gridlockd Active Member

Reputations:
    Typical response. Kid used to play with fake guns before obtaining real guns and shooting everyone. Ban the fake guns!!

6. gridlockd

gridlockd Active Member

Reputations:
    I think we all know the real culprit here is Marylin Manson.

7. telecaster

telecaster Active Member

Reputations:
    I'm surprised it took them a week to start bringing this up again.

8. slats7

slats7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hollywood is a gold mine for the Dems, so Obama will leave video games and super-violent "shoot 'em up" movies alone. Much easier to deprive eeeevil Red Staters of their guns.

9. SiriusDawg

SiriusDawg New Member

Reputations:
    Ah, so you think he should come down on the video game industry?

Or, you agree with Obama....and can't get the words out of..."Obama is correct"...so blaming him for something he is doing that you agree with?

10. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Go after the fucking MEDIA that's glorifying and ENCOURAGING all these fucking nutjobs!

Are you crazy? Wanna become famous? Want to know that once you die there will be millions of people talking about you? Well then, media whores will oblige if you do some crazy shit.

Fuck the media!

And go after BIG PHARMA for pushing these SSRI drugs on people. All these SSRIs fuck people up and make them killing machines.

11. slats7

slats7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Never said that. Hollywood shouldn't be scapegoated any more than the NRA.

12. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The way Hollywood is postponing the premiers of Django and Jack Reacher is the hypocrisy of Hollywood at its finest. I am not saying that I believe that violent movies cause violent behavior but for Hollywood to postpone the movies makes it look like they are saying that they are guilty and their movies do cause violence.

13. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    hollywood voted for raegan and arnold.
    raegan and bush enacted more regulation than bam who as of now enacted none.
    its odd those 2 never get mocked, but the new guy who did nothing, does

also most hollywood execs are conservatives. but even the liberal ones base their business decisions more on profits than politics

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  14. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    How did Reagan and Bush enact regulation of movies? You do realize that some things that Reagan and Bush did were to appease the Dems and be somewhat bipartisan don't you?

15. NotMyBro

Reputations:
    It's actually proven that it does.

http://www.research.vt.edu/resmag/sciencecol/media_violence.html

16. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    you know i'm not talking about movies.
    why should i care why someone does something? the fact they would go against their own principles and what they think is best for the country, just to appease someone, in my eyes is even worse. (that's why i blame dems more for the war than i do bush, he believed in it, they didn't but voted only because of public polling)
    so bam gets a pass for his liberal stuff because he was only appeasing the dem controlled congress too?

anyways i don't think this true because ive heard them support it speeches.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  17. WholeAssholeOut

WholeAssholeOut New Member

Reputations:
    SSRIS can be a miracle, but unfortunately (don't know in this case) many, many psychiatrists prescribe them without spending much time with the patient and without keeping up to assess their stability. i've been to a lot of shrinks, most of them just want to see you for five minute, ask "everything ok?" then write you your refills and get your out of the office in five minutes. they are so quick to prescribe they often don't have a correct diagnosis, and that is when SSRIs can be dangerous. i don't want them to bad SSRIs, i would be lost without mine, but they should be used responsibly.

18. NotMyBro

Reputations:
    Actually, anti-depressants (SSRIs) don't work better than placebo!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/depression-medication-why_b_550098.html

But you know what SSRIs do? They do this:

http://beforeitsnews.com/health/2012/07/mass-murders-and-the-ssris-connection-2417899.html

19. WholeAssholeOut

WholeAssholeOut New Member

Reputations:
    i have had great results with my most recent antidepressant for both depression and ocd, but went through at least ten of them with no results over the past 15+ years before this new one.

20. Howard103

Howard103 New Member

Reputations:
    That might be a factor in certain cases, but I think in a general sense the biggest cause of these events is the fact that parents and schools aren't equipped to deal with such a level of mental illness (and there isn't enough oversight or care given throughout our society). Add that to the "sweep it under the rug" attitude that most people have towards mental illness and it just fosters closet basketcases that have no outlet for their twisted feelings, for fear of being different, outcast, or misunderstood.