Vince Vaughn Says ‘True Detective’ Season 2 is ‘Very Different’

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Feb 12, 2015.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Now that “True Detective” has set its cast for season two (Vince Vaughn, Colin Farrell, Rachel McAdams, Taylor Kitsch and Kelly Reilly), the stars are finally starting to open up about the show’s hotly anticipated return.

In an interview with Playboy, Vaughn admits that he’s not feeling particularly pressured by the prospect of following Woody Harrelson’s and Matthew McConaughey’s acclaimed performances. “[Creator] Nic Pizzolatto is such a great writer, and so much of this is driven by his stories,” Vaughn says. “I thought Woody and Matthew did an exceptional job with the first season. This one’s very different, though. It’s a totally different story, with its own characters. The thing that’s consistent is the richness of the characters and the quality of the material.”

The season’s new setting has a lot to do with the difference in tone, according to Vaughn. “That was Louisiana. This is a California-based story, and it was kind of birthed from here. A lot of it is set in Los Angeles.”

Vaughn plays Frank Semyon, a man in danger of losing his criminal empire when his move into legitimate enterprise is upended by the murder of a business partner. “I really like my character. Nic is so great about investigating characters and their complexities in an authentic and engaging way,” he tells Playboy. “I want to watch this show not because I’m in it but as a fan of the material.”

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/true-detective-season-2-details-vince-vaughn-1201432314/

Sickboy, TheMercenary and TeeDonkey like this.
  2. jameslanza

jameslanza Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Right on right on right right on

TeeDonkey likes this.
  3. Blazing Buffalo

Blazing Buffalo Members Only

Reputations:
    He also says affirmative action is racist in the same interview. Then talks about the gays for a bit. Full of thoughts, that Vince Vaughn.

TeeDonkey likes this.
  4. TheMercenary

TheMercenary Collecting Light Gold

Reputations:

HBO gets shit right. I am pumped to see it.

[​IMG]

octex and Rockside7 like this.
  5. Sickboy

Sickboy Latverian Monarch

Reputations:
  6. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Vince Vaughn is a huge asshole in real life, I saw him at a restaurant once acting like a total dick to his assistant and a bartender at a different place near Vaughn's condo said he was always a shithead when he came in.

teehee, Turkeyneck and ARM like this.
  7. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I agree! I've heard soo many stories about what a colossal dickbag this guy is to "civilians". With one lazy comedy after the next, and straining that double-talking "Swingers" swagger more than a Billy Goat Tavern bar-rag - he's been forced to try and salvage some integrity by attempting to pull another McConaughey on TV.

I've also just grown to hate Vaughn with my every fiber as one of the most redundantly limited lead actors in the business. He's one small step beneath Adam Sandler, trundling out one Chicago based craphole cliche rom-com after the next with no shame. BOTH need 25 to life in movie jail appealing to the lowest common denominator of dunderheads.

When Vince said "It’s a totally different story, with its own characters." in that interview it's translation for "I'll be playing MYSELF and the story will be set in Chicago."

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  8. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    It was interesting talking to the bartender, he compared him to Bill Murray that comes in and buys drinks for everyone and stays to closing and helps them clean up.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    ARM likes this.
  9. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Celebrity or not - Murray is just one of the most unique and psychologically complicated (compliment) human beings I've ever attempted to do a character study on.

No matter who or what he's around you get the feeling he's laughing AT you and not WITH you in his head.

10. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    Very different or not near as good? If Vince Vaughn is HALF as good as Matt McConaughey in Season one, i'll eat my fucking hat.

I'll tune in for S2, but IMO, Nic Pizzaiola fucked up by not bringing back Rust Cohle (in some capacity, anyways).

RF76 and ARM like this.
  11. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    If Vince Vaughn is in it then it probably will be a lot different since he is a talentless one note hack who ruins everything he's in.

ARM likes this.
  12. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Cool. I'm interested in watching it....

13. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    314. ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 02/26 **#10**
    This married, very tall, A list mostly movie comic actor might not be married much longer if he continues to sleep with as many women as possible on the press tour for his new movie. Vince Vaughn "Unfinished Business"

ARM and Guacamole like this.
  14. Wainegro

Wainegro Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    WOW! people really turned on Vince Vaughn over the years. I still like him. All of these guys have a stretch of their career where they get lazy, look at Robert Deniro. Sure Vaughn does a ton of these no-brainer, cookie cutter comedies, but some of them were alright for a quick laugh. I liked the older serious film he did Return To Paradise. The film starred Anne Heche, and is fantastic.

15. Wainegro

Wainegro Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    WOW! people really turned on Vince Vaughn over the years. I still like him. All of these guys have a stretch of their career where they get lazy, look at Robert Deniro. Sure Vaughn does a ton of these no-brainer, cookie cutter comedies, but some of them were alright for a quick laugh. I liked the older more serious movie he did called: Return To Paradise. I know it starred Anne Heche. I believe most people would like it.

16. gilbert

gilbert Member

Reputations:
    I've never seen a sequel that was better than the original.

smichal likes this.
  17. HooHoo

HooHoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This. Collin Farrell I don't hate but Vince Vaughn is a bizarre casting choice with as much momentum as this show had after season 1 when A-listers saw how it elevated McConaughey and were clamoring for a shot. Vaughn is a fucking clown. I just don't get it. He's the sidekick idiot in Hangover-wannabe movies at best.

ARM likes this.
  18. jokeland

jokeland Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Club Lago?

19. jokeland

jokeland Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It doesn't look like Vaughn is playing a lead. He is not a detective. How much air time did any of the non detectives get in the first series? He can play an off beat character type in a side roll without ruining the work.

I don't picture Rachel Mc Adams getting naked like the female lead in the last one. Sucks. Lots of great nudity in that last year.