Warehouse fined $2.2 million after testing employee DNA to catch a rogue pooper

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by EndOfLine, Jun 24, 2015.

1. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

An Atlanta warehouse overstepped the bounds of the law in its quest to discover a mystery pooper, according to a ruling by a Federal circuit court in Atlanta this week. The case began when the warehouse, run by Atlas Logistics Group, began finding piles of excrement in the public workspace, and was forced to investigate who might be behind the string of mysterious crappings. Based on the scene of the crime, the company suspected an inside job, but it had no firm evidence aside from the poop itself.

That's where Atlas got into trouble. Supervisors forced two workers, named Dennis Reynolds and Jack Lowe, to submit to cheek swabbing, comparing their DNA to the DNA found in the poop. Both men were exonerated by the test, but it raised the thorny question of whether Atlas had the right to demand a test in the first place. Ultimately, the court ruled that the company had overstepped, and awarded Reynolds and Lowe $2.2 million, including nearly $1.75 million in punitive damages. Atlas has vowed to appeal the ruling and pare down the final sum.

It's a rare issue, but an increasingly relevant one as DNA testing grows cheaper and employers find more and more ways to monitor workers. There are extensive rules about law enforcement collection of DNA, but this is the first firm precedent protecting workers against employer-mandated testing. In this case, it was an issue of linking employees to misconduct, but it's easy to imagine similar tests being used as a basis for genetic discrimination as the science develops further. But as long as this ruling holds up, employees will be legally protected if any employers attempt such a scheme.

:jj:

Howard related when ppl were leaving piles in toilet at Sirius.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/24/8840155/forced-dna-testing-mystery-poop-ruling

1Vegasgirl and boognishstern like this.
  2. somedude61

somedude61 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You can't get specific about DNA testing of specific individuals. But the company could have done mandatory drug screenings for the whole company. Where they went wrong was targeting just a couple of people.

3. Hankjones

Hankjones Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG] This Dennis Reynolds? I can believe it

4. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I read once that excrement cannot be tested for DNA............Has none?

5. playitagainfred

playitagainfred Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    wouldnt it have been simpler to just put some security cameras up?

sino8r, Jayla, 1Vegasgirl and 4 others like this.
  6. boognishstern

boognishstern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

1Vegasgirl and Hankjones like this.
  7. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    and the DNA testing was unncessary: just install a couple of pinhole cameras.

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  8. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    every so often we have people like that at work (we have a high turnover). i'm told its a passive-aggressive way of expressing anger, so they crap on the floor of the mens' or women's rest rooms. I suppose it frustrates them even more that we pay people to clean up their crap the same as we pay people to sweep up in front of the building, that even their shit is worth more to us than they are (we don't pay anyone to help them do their work). We have pinhole cameras in all the ceilings (and i assume in the rest rooms too - periodically i find them on the internal networks while i'm scanning for possible intrusions) so eventually these people are confronted and leave. it can be handled quietly and calmly with cameras.

1Vegasgirl and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  9. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    They should have just hired Jared from My Cat From Hell

10. Shamrock12

Shamrock12 Bouncy... Bouncy...

Reputations:

the laws make sense but sometimes can be so whacky. My old place had a no drugs policy. Had a chick come in extremeeeeeeeeeeeeely fucked up... but you cant just give her a test, you'd have to start giving "randoms" to everyone, and basically everyone would get fired...

11. Shamrock12

Shamrock12 Bouncy... Bouncy...

Reputations:
    cameras are soooooooooooooo cheap and easy to use now.... if I had a business I'd set them up everywhere

12. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    But it's ok to randomly drug test people? I see no difference. Either they're both ok or they're both not ok.

13. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    They should have just had someone collect their used coffee cups or plastic spoons or tissues or some shit. No reasonable expectation of privacy in discarded trash in the workplace...and yes, turds are full of DNA.

I used to go to hockey camp in Bemidji, Minnesota when I was a kid. They called me "Yorker" because they never had anybody from NY before and it was a "thing" to them. One day somebody found a turd in the shower and I was immediately accused "because you're from New York."

14. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I thought the same thing. But there has to be some dead cells from the digestive system in it, doesn't there? :dontknow:

15. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    I bet this guy could crack this case wide open:
    [​IMG]