Warner Bros. Bans 'Dukes of Hazzard' Car With Confederate Flag

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by boognishstern, Jun 24, 2015.

1. boognishstern

boognishstern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :facepalm:
    Warner Bros. Bans 'Dukes of Hazzard' Car With Confederate Flag
    Decision to halt production on symbol-bearing General Lee comes after online retailers ban Confederate flag merchandise

By Daniel Kreps June 24, 2015
    [​IMG]
    A 1969 Dodge Charger, dubbed "The General Lee" from the TV series "The Dukes of Hazzard", is displayed during the 37th Annual Barrett-Jackson Collector Cars auction in Scottsdale, Arizona on January 16th, 2008. Gabriel Bouys/AFP/Getty
    Following South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley's call to remove the Confederate flag from the state capitol, some of the nation's biggest retailers have similarly promised to stop selling items bearing that symbol. Now, one of pop culture's most visible uses of the Confederate flag – the General Lee, an orange Dodge Charger from the TV series The Dukes of Hazzard – is about to get a makeover. According to Vulture, the lone company that was licensed to reproduce the Confederate flag-branded General Lee as a toy will no longer make that item.

Sidebar

[​IMG]
    Charleston's History of Hellish Violence »

Warner Bros. Consumer Products (WBCP) is responsible for licensing the rights to Duke of Hazzard merchandise. "Warner Bros. Consumer Products has one licensee producing die-cast replicas and vehicle model kits featuring the General Lee with the confederate flag on its roof — as it was seen in the TV series" a WBCP spokesman said. "We have elected to cease the licensing of these product categories."

However, the General Lee – with its Confederate flag plastered atop its cabin – will continue to have a presence on television, as The Dukes of Hazzard is still popular in syndication, especially on cable network CMT.

Warner Bros.' decision to stop the license on Confederate flag-bearing General Lee replicas comes just days after Walmart, Sears, eBay, Google Shopping and Etsy all announced they would stop selling items that featured the Confederate flag; soon after, Amazon stepped up their efforts to remove all items bearing that symbol on their online marketplace. However, the sudden purge of items branded with the Confederate Flag has also resulted in a sales surge as collectors stock up before that merchandise ultimately becomes unavailable, the New York Times reports.

"We have decided to prohibit Confederate flags and many items containing this image because we believe it has become a contemporary symbol of divisiveness and racism," eBay said in a statement. In the case of Amazon, that company eventually agreed to remove Confederate merchandise after they were barraged social media by users promoting the hashtag #TakeItDown.

smichal likes this.
  2. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    Well, shit; there goes my Uber career in Oakland and Berkeley.

3. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits Gold

Reputations:
    :rofl: another win for the PC Police

4. Mulletude

Mulletude I'm Big In The Hate Club, Ya Know VIP

Reputations:
    Wonder how this will play in Hazzard County?

[​IMG]

LaserT, smichal, Asshat13 and 5 others like this.
  5. WillieX

WillieX Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thanks Obama.

smichal and AmericasJudge like this.
  6. jcounce1

jcounce1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    This is the stupidest thing I've heard this year.

7. Zyro

Zyro Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So will they be hiring someone to CGI out the flag on future DVD and syndication releases? Where can I apply for this?

8. Mike Huntslooce

Mike Huntslooce Maker of Champions Gold

Reputations:
    What the absolute fuck is going on in this country with the cunt bag PC police? I say we bring back lynching for all of those cock suckers.

9. JFK

JFK Ask not what your country can do for you. Gold

Reputations:
    He finally fixed them Duke Boys

10. ChimneySweep

ChimneySweep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why can so few people see how this knee-jerk shit will eventually come full-circle? Today, maybe you are offended or don't give a shit , but tomorrow maybe someone is "offended" by you or something you like/do/appreciate. How did everyone get to be so short-sighted?

11. TheWonk

TheWonk POTY Music Forum Gold

Reputations:
    How long till they use CGI on the reruns and DVD's to remove it from there as well? :facepalm:

It's funny to see black people online quoting Abraham Lincoln. I hope that they know that Lincoln was not only a huge racist, but he supported slavery until it was politically incorrect and was forced to change his views due to political correctness. Lincoln also said that he believed that blacks should NOT have the same rights as whites. Lincoln also wanted, and attempted, to order all freed slaves to be rounded up and shipped to remote areas in South America.

“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.” Lincoln, 1858

12. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    You would think people would have more pressing things to worry about.

13. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    forget the flag deal here

that show was fucking awful

14. ChimneySweep

ChimneySweep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Most of what you wrote (or copied and pasted) is true, but he did not "support" slavery on a personal level. He just did not think it was an issue worthy of destroying the Republic over. he made himself clear on many occasions. I don't see how can anyone say he "supported" it?

"I am naturally anti-slavery. If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong. I can not remember when I did no so think, and feel." - 1864

"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy".-1858

"I have always hated slavery, I think as much as any Abolitionist." - 1858

he did NOT, however, think the races were equal and wanted to send the freed slaves back home (or somewhere) after the war (would have been a LOT better for everyone and those who had either chosen to stay or to come back on their own could have kindly STFU about it).

15. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    I could give a care about a car but are "Daisy Dukes" still ok?

Cinnaminion, smichal, Samurai and 8 others like this.
  16. JFK

Reputations:
    Thems fightin words

17. Micheal Kenyon

Micheal Kenyon Here

Reputations:
    Ya, thus is pretty fucking stupid. Next it will be Daisy Dukes.

smichal and jcounce1 like this.
  18. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Daisy dukes are always OK. That's something everyone can agree on.

19. JFK

Reputations:
    We all need a starting point

scoobyla, reno and Alisonsbankacct like this.
  20. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    The flag on the car was addressed in the movie 10 years ago. :snicker: