Was it just plain old GREED that got both Jackie and Artie?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Kool, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Both these guys were paid well during there time on the show but they had to take gigs and gigs, weekdays, weekends....they were drained by the Greed?

2. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
    N-word wages :coffee:

3. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    Yes.

Howard Stern's greed.

4. RobsDad

RobsDad Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Jackie's problem was his perceived value to the show, as opposed to Infinity's perception of his value. He gambled and lost.

Artie's problem was that he was a junkie.

5. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    Yes, if by Infinity you mean Howard Stern.

6. The Cocksman

The Cocksman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Jackie no and Arite drugs.

7. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The extra gigs did damage imo, more for Artie Artie could've kept his addiction on a weekend routine. I have friends that have good jobs and take drugs.

8. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Howard hires pays and fires all people on his show.....since Krock
    The question is when did Jackie, Robin, Fred, and Gary find out?

Jackie might still be on the show if he knew Howard paid him.
    Certainly Jackie knew Howard could go to bat for him....but did Marlow know that Coward was the ultimate boss...and Tom was just doing his bidding.

Artie wasn't happy either that Howard paid Booey more than him.

Stern is the greediest mother fucker on the planet.
    The Revolution was the largest fraud in entertainment history.
    Howard pocketed over 90 percent....and still must plug restaurants, contractors, and shoehorn in a few extra commercials during the news.

9. RobsDad

RobsDad Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

Stern is to blame for a lot, but not this.

Buchwald did all of Stern's negotiations.

Jackie wasn't smart enough to hire someone like Buchwald to do his.

I loved Jackie on the show, but when you're talking about contracts in the 7 figure area, you gotta hire someone to handle that for you.

10. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Artie was his own worst enemy. He was a sick man and there was no way he could have continued on the show.
    As far as Jackie goes. He wanted the credit he believed he was due. Head writer, with the appropriate raise in pay. Depending on whose version you believe, and I tend to believe Jackie's version because everything Howard says is a lie, Jackie was shut out. Howard, Robin, Fred and even Bababooie are represented by Buchwald. Howard wanted everyone's pay to be negotiated together so Howard would always take the lion's share and everyone else would get the scraps (comparatively speaking). Jackie acted on his own (not necessarily a smart thing to do, but it is what it is) to negotiate and it cost him. I believe he was underpaid for what he was doing and what he brought to the show, considering the way the show has tanked without him. Without Jackie feeding Howard jokes and without that third voice in the room taking on Robin's shit, the show is now nothing more than a poor excuse for a "comedy show".

11. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    jackie didnt lose, we did.

they(howard) used "he asked for too much money" as an excuse to pay him no money.
    jackie was ultimately willing to work for any amount they wanted

12. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    1,000,000 a year is hardly "no money"
    And I'm not defending Howard. He's a dickish miser.
    But Jackie shoulda realized his worth better

13. wicked smaaaht

wicked smaaaht New Member

Reputations:
    This!

14. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Doubtful. Artie lacks self control (just look at his weight especially now) and is self destructive. Even if he was working this three day work week and didn't do shows on the weekend, he most likely would have become a full blown junkie and not been able to keep his habit contained to weekends. He his habit affected his day job and his weekend gigs (he had to drop out of Comedy Central Roast because he was too strung out).

There are people who do drugs regularly and can contain their habit to their off time. Artie wasn't one of them.

15. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Yeah, Jackie's biggest mistake was not getting representation whether it was Buckwald or someone else. I personally wouldn't be represented by Buckwald if I was a Stern staff member since Buckwald's main objective was to get the most for Howard whether he screwed over his other clients or not. I don't think I would want an agent negotiating for me that didn't have my best interests as my #1 priority.

Jackie probably deserved to get paid what he was asking for. Billy should have been paid too (he recently said it was Howard who was too cheap to pay him). But no matter what Howard says, it is all about Howard. And if Howard wasn't petty and decided to write Jackie off when he left and refused to let him back at the price Tom wanted him to take, Jackie would still probably be with the show.

We see today how Howard values his employees. He has made hundreds of millions of dollars at Sirius and his idea of rewarding his staff is throwing them a god-damn party during the holiday season. No holiday bonus. No holiday gift. A friggin party. Most company with about 100 employees throw the party AND gives a gift or bonus. It is just further proof that Howard wants all the marbles and let his staff fight for scraps.

16. Rodney21a

Rodney21a Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Both should have just started coming in 3 days a week. If they had they would not have left or been replaced.

17. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    In Howard's defense, he did give everyone a Stiletto one year...

In all seriousness, I still can't get over that gift. Forget about the dollar value. Who the FUCK wants an xmas gift that is related to the company you work for 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year!?!?!

18. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Simple fact about artie.. he was getting paid a shit load at Mad Tv and obviously enjoyed that life style. .

Something that his HSS paycheck couldn't provide

19. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I've spoken with Jackie about this a few times over the years. I am convinced he is telling the god's honest truth in all of it as his story has never changed and he has said it on air repeatedly and it's never been refuted. All Jackie asked for, and was fully entitled to IMO, was 1/25th of the syndication money. WXRK was raking in over $100k per station. Howard was getting the lion's share with XRK taking the rest. XRK wasn't about to cut their percentage any lower and no way in hell was Howard going to share his percentage either.

If it wasn't for the station manager that tipped Jackie off about the syndication fee, Jackie wouldn't have ever asked for that raise. He's the bastard that rocked the boat. If Stern had just paid Jackie the show wouldn't have crashed and burned nor would Artie have remained in show biz possibly averting his stabbing as well.

20. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    i wasnt clear in my post.
    his worth to them was zero.
    he was was willing to work for whatever amount they wanted, but they choose to pay him nothing.
    i feel they just used "jackie asked for too much" as an excuse to pocket his whole salary. whys it matter what he asked for.
    they pretended to negotiate with him, but we all know now it was a scam.
    why didnt they say "negotiation is over. our max offer to you is X, take the rest of the week to consider and return to work monday if accepted. otherwise you will be replaced"