Washing your car in your own driveway in Garden City,NY? Expect to be hassled by cops

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by SleepingWarrior, Dec 17, 2013.

1. SleepingWarrior

SleepingWarrior Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/16/...asher-own-driveway/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000588

In Garden City, NY, there is apparently a village ordinance aimed at preventing people from washing their cars (and furniture) in public places. That doesn't sound terribly absurd, but what what takes things up a notch is these officers' judgement – their reading of the code about "public places" also includes washing vehicles on private property in public view.

In this video, a pair of police officers show up as two men are about to wash a car in a private driveway, but instead of a ticket, they get a free lesson in local laws. While the interpretation of the law – especially in regards to what is defined as a "public place" – is questionable at best, we're fairly certain that there's more going on here than a car wash and an angry neighbor.

[video=youtube;QB0MLZZc63c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB0MLZZc63c[/video]

2. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    I hope they're not using a pressure washer on that fine automobile.

The officer seemed nice enough. The neighbor is being a PITA.

3. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    i know garden city has very upscale large homes but at they the moral police? ridiculous

4. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    I'd break the law, get the fine and fight it on Constitutional grounds...and probably lose. :jj:

5. sammyr134

sammyr134 Mister Sunshine Banned User

Reputations:
    They are using the hoses to keep the bleaks out……..new ordanence to keep low income housing out

[​IMG]

6. shitba

shitba Shot Dead VIP

Reputations:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  7. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Washing a car in this fine upscale neighborhood is a ticketable offense , yet HUD buys houses in those same fine upscale neighborhoods and installs ghetto trash that brings down all home values and their kids ruin the local schools, but that's ok!

8. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    This.

9. Wigward Hairhat

Wigward Hairhat Active Member

Reputations:
    I wonder if he put some kind of plastic curtain or tent around the car could he wash it in the driveway seeing as it wouldn't be in public view or whatever?

I agree with the people though who say there's more to this than just some guy trying to wash his car.

10. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Don't like the law? Change it. Local laws are the easiest to influence but most dippy Americans only bother to make it out for the Super Bowl of elections; the presidential election.

That is not a compliment either.

11. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    there's also a law against having a basketball hoop in the front of your house. garden city is just trying to keep it real...almost like living in a HOA.

12. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    i drive thru garden city all the time. the cops just park in front of the super huge houses or in their driveway at night. it's a gigantic do not fuck with these houses sign.

13. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    So true. Years ago when we lived in Southern California, we got residential permit parking for our area. It was not hard at all at that time.

14. sammyr134

sammyr134 Mister Sunshine Banned User

Reputations:
    Not in garden city. They passed an ordinance not allowing low income rent housing. They don't fuck around there. No enwurds allowed!

[​IMG]

15. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Scum of the earth. They are probably preparing to go carjack someone at the mall. the neighbors are right, they are rif raf.

16. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Not quite. Being a long time resident of Garden City, I can assure that it 'aint gonna happen. How do I know that? Because it has been attempted many times before over many decades and all attempts have failed. ACORN (remember them?) filed lawsuit after lawsuit trying to get the village to build low cost housing. All attempts failed. GC is and independent incorporated village within the town of Hempstead, with it's own police and fire depts. Public works and water service and excellent "Union Free" schools. All that means you have to pay for it in TAXES! The rates are high. High enough to keep the "undesirables" out. GC is like an oasis. Google GC and look at the surrounding towns. Low cost housing is simply bought up and sold again at a large profit because of the desirability of the 11530 zip code. All that does come at a price. Village codes and by laws may seem a bit draconian but it assures residents that the quality of life in the town remains high. No leaf blowers at 7am, no garbage containers at the curb on a non pick up day, when it snows the streets are plowed. The crime rate is ridiculously low. Most crimes are burglary or petty theft and most of the perps are from the neighboring towns. The police are very aware of anything or anyone that doesn't belong. When we first moved here from Queens my mother was driving home after visiting a friend that still lived in Queens. It was late and as soon as she crossed into GC a patrol car followed her home and waited until she arrived and went inside before driving off. Just making sure that everything was alright.
    As to the video, it seems to me that some busybody saw a strange car on the block (the guys in the video said it was just bought) and called the police to check it out. The plates and the title didn't match so the officer was rightfully suspicious. The officer was just checking their story which you have to admit sounded fishy.
    The Garden City Police are very well paid and they do their job well. I'll defend those officers against all comers.

17. CaptainFrank

CaptainFrank Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The cop was annoyed at having to deal with this petty stuff, but I would bet that they don't care if you occasionally wash your car on a Sunday afternoon. I would bet the neighbor complained because these kids are habitually running a little car detailing place in the driveway or something similar.

I bet the two were warned prior, thus the camera and their attempts to bait the officer. He handled it well, jerkoffs like these two are a dime a dozen . Go pay $15,0000 a year in property taxes and get back to me when you complain to the police and they don't act.

As usual, it's the cops fault to many of you....

18. CaptainFrank

CaptainFrank Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    By the way, I know Howie lived on long island years ago, but how is this stern related? Are we really just gonna lift everything from reddit now?

19. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    I'm not allowed to work on my car (or wash it), put up a solar panel, a satellite dish, or PICK UP TRASH in my own neighborhood.

I got into a fight with a neighbor about picking up debris while I was out for a walk. He said I didn't have the authority to collect litter while walking. I'm talking about McD's wrappers and cig butts.

Crazy stuff.

20. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    I agree with you. If someone doesn't like the way GC is run, don't move there.

Drives me nuts when people move into an area and cry about the standards of that area. Like the IDIOTS who move into an HOA joint and want to put up pink blinds or whatever. I have several rentals in an HOA and explain to every tenant about the standards, give them the literature, etc. Most of them "get" it and appreciate the rules.

Some don't "get" it and routinely violate the rules. . . . funny enough it's those assholes who are the ones I have to chase down for rent and/or evict.