Sports Watch ESPN 30 For 30: Fantastic Lies

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Phantom Lord, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Phantom Lord

Phantom Lord Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I never recommend a show on this site. If you are familiar with the ESPN series 30 For 30 you know it is a documentary or biopic on an interesting story that has sports implications. In the Stern World, Michael Rapaport directed one of those about the Knicks in the early 1970s.

The episode I just watched is called Fantastic Lies which is about the Duke Lacrosse Team in 2005 where a number of players were wrongfully charged with rape. It has been over 10 years and I remember bits and pieces of the story. I remember Jesse Jackson jumping on the bandwagon stating that this was racially motivated. The last part I heard about it was a year later and that they were all innocent.

This 30 For 30 episode is almost 2 hours long and I was glued to it. The scary part is how corrupt prosecutor's can be when they have determined they want to convict someone when they know the evidence isn't there.

Check it out if you have On Demand. It is definitely one of the better episodes I have seen.

2. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Feel the Gern

Reputations:
    SPOILERS:

Terrifying how easily everyone instantly believed they were guilty and wanted the whole team burned at the stake

Before watching it, I'd assumed all these years they were at least guilty of something.... Wow.

Fuck that prosecutor....

3. redwolf

redwolf Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I watched it and it was fascinating, scary tho how easy it is to get railroaded into trouble, at least the lady that wrote the article on them apologized, and the prosecutor should have done more then 1 day in jail, he didn't give a shit if those kids did massive jail time and lied about it, some were facing life in prison and he lied and hid facts. major douchebag!

4. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    I dvr'd this during the week and plan on watching this weekend.

Mike Huntslooce likes this.
  5. YinzerMasshole

YinzerMasshole Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So many times in real life, these athletes get away with rape and other terrible things (Jameis Winston, anyone?)... so when the story came out, it didn't seem far-fetched to believe what they were saying about these lacrosse guys.

That's why we have good prosecutors to sort out the bullshit from what actually happened. Except this prosecutor thought he could springboard himself to higher office.

Remember, everytime you see a DA chase cameras, he's only auditioning for his next election.

6. kingofallmessicans

kingofallmessicans Sandy Cunt

Reputations:
    Fuck, I don't want to watch it, it'll bum me out. :depressed:
    Still, it is a good wake up call to those that believe everything they hear in the media, and even better for the majority of people that get their news via headlines. Our media is fucked, and this is a prime example.

TheLACritic and Phantom Lord like this.
  7. ApeFace

ApeFace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Didn't the chick who accused them wind up killing somebody? I think she's doing hard time.

TheLACritic likes this.
  8. Phantom Lord

Phantom Lord Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yes. In 2013 she was convicted of murdering her boyfriend and was sentenced to 14 years in jail. Talk about injustice, Google the name White Boy Rick. He was 17 year-old white kid in Detroit working with the Feds. He was caught transporting Cocaine in his car. He has been in jail for almost 28 years for a non-violent drug offense. I'm telling you the truth, look it up.

TheLACritic likes this.
  9. agnes

agnes Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Is this on netflix? I'm glad people are becoming aware of media manipulation

TheLACritic and Mr Cachexic like this.
  10. Mr Cachexic

Mr Cachexic Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    remember this when it happened, forgot all about that

all 30 for 30's ive seen so far have been damn near perfect so this sounds like a juicy one

11. SalsMasterShake

SalsMasterShake Mouthpiece VIP

Reputations:
    This one was really scary. I work in this area of law, and most lay people just can't comprehend the power that's in the hands of prosecutors, generally, and how much damage they can do when they go "rogue."

I HATE Duke when it comes to sports, but this 30-for-30 and the one they did on Christian Laettner were both pretty good.

I always thought Bobby Hurley loved Laettner, but apparently he hated him when they played together, and doesn't seem to care for him all that much now! :giggle:

The parents of the lacrosse kids have been relentless in their pursuit of that prosecutor. I wikied him, and after losing his law license, he filed bankruptcy in the face of the kid's/parent's civil lawsuits, but I think he managed to even fuck that up (I read about some ruling that the judge allowed their claims against him to go forward unfettered by his BK filing).

We had a prosecutor here in Phoenix who started criminally indicting County Board of Supervisors members and judges who ruled against him, all for trimming his budget. He lost his license and got stomped in the Republican primary when he ran for Attorney General, but he's still in the background of politics here, getting idiot legislators to do his bidding by legislatively dismantling the Bar Association that (rightfully) snatched his law license.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    TheLACritic likes this.
  12. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Have not seen a bad one yet. Even if it's a sports story that is a bit obscure, it's still so engrossing. They really do a great job with them.

13. Mr Cachexic

Reputations:
    agreed you dont even have to be particularly interested in the sports side of things to get into their documentaries, all have really good stories

LaserT likes this.
  14. Mr Cachexic

Reputations:
    the playing for the mob episode is my favorite so far, im sure you've seen that one about Henry Hill and the BC college team

aquadog and SalsMasterShake like this.
  15. ice cream

ice cream Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    black women vs a bunch of whities,why wouldnt you believe her :dontknow:

pc in a nutshell

kingship, TheLACritic and agnes like this.
  16. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah that was great one, and if you're a Goodfellas fan, it was even better!

austin54, kingship and Mr Cachexic like this.
  17. Mr Cachexic

Reputations:
    yeah im a sucker for anything related to that wise guy shit

LaserT likes this.
  18. SalsMasterShake

SalsMasterShake Mouthpiece VIP

Reputations:
    That was a GOOD one.

My favorite was the Bo Jackson one. I loved that story about the new football coach and Bo out raking up the football field with his shirt off.

Coach: Man, your maintenance guy out on the field is certainly put together well.

Principal: Maintenance guy? That's Bo Jackson, he's a student here and will be one of your players in the fall!

19. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This story was unbelievable, sad, disgusting, and crazy. It's a must watch for everyone, only complaint is that they didn't portrait the media in a worse manner. The local and national media were all over these kids, dragged them to hell and back. They made everyone believe they were hiding something. The one I remember specifically was Jim Rome, he was on them from the start. Lost a lot of respect for him. Rack me.

20. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    That woman also led to Imus getting fired for his "nappy headed hoe" comment.