Watch If You Are Into Good Ol' Rock-'n-Roll

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Outoftune, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Outoftune

Outoftune Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't know how many people in here are into the classic stuff and are familiar with the Tielman Brothers (Dutch/Indo rock n roll) but i am sure some of you will get a kick out of this one. Just watch all the way through, chances are you've never seen anything like this before. These guys played tight as fuck. Hope you'll like it.

The Beatles used to open for these guy's, enough said.

Silly fact - apparently Andy Tielman (lead guitar) was the first guy in Europe to ever own and play a Gibson.

Grabo, bobp, Shithead and 5 others like this.
  2. Outoftune

Reputations:
  3. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Imagine how good they'd sound if he knew which side the guitar goes on.

The Refreshments are a Swedish band that plays that old style American rock and roll. Here with Billy Bremner.(Rockpile, The Pretenders)

This track may be more swing than rock, but I like it.

Outoftune likes this.
  4. Outoftune

Reputations:
    Brilliant playing. Never heard of these guys before, thanks.

5. Metalheavy19

Metalheavy19 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Holy shit. That was a god damned spectacle. awesome

Outoftune likes this.
  6. SpanishJohnny

SpanishJohnny Member

Reputations:
    Man...how have they stayed under my radar for so long. I've never heard anyone even site them as an influence...very cool stuff though.

7. Honkey Donkey

Honkey Donkey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Never heard of them before . This is out there and all oldies stations play is the same bull shit .

Outoftune likes this.
  8. marswillrule

marswillrule Active Member

Reputations:
    Marc Ribot plays like this dude.

Outoftune likes this.
  9. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Great shit there!

Outoftune likes this.
  10. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    JohnTstuttererPLAY.gif

Outoftune likes this.
  11. Outoftune

Reputations:
    They have an interesting story. The 4 brothers started playing around 1949 while living in Surabaja - Indonesia encouraged very much by their father who also was a musician. They mostly performed for the Dutch troops, even having performed for Sukarno (first indonesian president) during the independence of Indonesia. Around the mid 50's there was a backlash going on in Indonesia against rock n roll and western music in general, considering it to be an attack on the morals of the Indonesian people and their believes. In februari of 1957 rock n roll actually got banned. The Tielman family moved to The Netherlands that same month. After a while of playing the local Dutch clubs they were offered to play the "Hawaiian Village" during the Expo 58 World's Fair in Brussels wich was a pretty big deal back then. While playing those shows they were offered a record deal from a Belgium label and also were offered to play on a big tv show in Germany and were even offered to perform in a German movie called "Paprika". Their first ever gig in Germany was on the premier of the movie. Their first album was considered way too rough and loud for Dutch standards and basically got no radio play whatsoever. It got even worse when they performed on Dutch tv in 1960 (the footage above) and critics did not appreciate their style at all. The Netherlands obviously wasn't ready for a band like this. The Tielman Brothers decided to put their focus on Germany and did allot of gigs in places like Frankfurt and Hanau where the American troops were stationed. The gigs were very well received and they were a big hit. Later the rest of Europe finally caught on and they would be touring all throughout Europe having bands like The Beatles open for them. The Beatles even were inspired by the Tielman Brothers said George Harrison in an interview in Rolling Stone magazine. At one point around 1963 the Tielman Brothers were considered to be the highest paid live act in Europe. They were at their peek. It all came to a stop when they were involved in a serious accident basically being run over by a truck. All members survived but it knocked the wind out of their sails quite a bit. It took Andy Tielman over a year to recover, just his arm alone was broken in 8 different places. After the accident the bassplayer quit and this was basically the end of the old lineup. Andy has been performing after the accident with different lineups but the magic was gone. Then the beat music came and Beatlemania happened and basically their style was considered to be old fashioned and they dissapeared in obscurity playing little nightclubs from then on. It's a sad story.

Getting back to the footage wich was recorded in jan of 1960, this was 4 years before Beatlemania, 7 years before Hendrix, nobody had heard of Dick Dale yet etc. These guys are in my opinion the true innovators of this certain style of music and stage presence. Nobody was doing what they were doing on stage, they took rock n roll to the next level and did things that were unheard of at that time. I can only imagine what would happen if these guys had been given the chance to play in the USA and performing on the Ed Sullivan show back in the 50's. I am pretty sure somebody would have noticed them and they would have been a huge and well established name.

Thank you for your time lol.

12. Outoftune

Reputations:
  13. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
  14. TheSurvivingJesusTwin

TheSurvivingJesusTwin Half as ubiquitous

Reputations:
    That's awesome. Wunderbar post, herr Klopek!