We are on a religious rant...so just saying...all organized religion blows...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Dlist, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    If I eat meat on Friday during Lent, I'm going to hell.
    If I don't get the sign of cross on Ash Wedsnday, I'm going to hell
    If I don't go to confession, I'm going to hell.

Fuck that.

2. jake206

jake206 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Don't celebrate your birthday either.

3. KINGjoe

KINGjoe New Member

Reputations:
    agreed, religion is just a way to control the weak minded.....I believe in a "maker" but not a religion that tries to tell me what is right and wrong.....common sense takes care of that for me.....

4. CAPTAIN KIRK

CAPTAIN KIRK New Member

Reputations:
    Hallelujah !!

5. Morning Wood

Morning Wood New Member

Reputations:
  6. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    i think being religious is fine. nothing wrong with it, and probably something everyone should try as it teaches you humility and tolerance. centralized and organized religion is something entirely different and probably should be abolished and forbidden. jesus didn't like or want it. he seems like he was a smart guy. too bad what organized religion has done with his ideas.

7. Cash

Cash New Member

Reputations:
  8. Cash

Cash New Member

Reputations:
  9. Gretsch Man

Gretsch Man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Religious folks are fundamentally weak.

10. Dlist

Reputations:
    My mother is very religious...I tell her, 'whatever get's you through the day"

11. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    Or scared of death/loss enough to suspend disbelief and accept shit that make no sense in any rational way.

I used to think that religious people are stupid. Most are, but many are not. Einstein was an atheist, but he refused to believe in an expanding universe/the Big Bang despite clear evidence that the universe was expanding every second. He was a proponent of Hoyle's Steady State...a theory that believed the universe always was and always will be. Something we think of as ridiculous today.

Yet nobody would dare call Einstein an idiot. Ignorant in that regard, sure. But not stupid. He just refused to believe in a universe that wasn't always as it is. I think many of us cling to religion because we feel the same way about life. The notion that our consciousness will one day be extinguished..or that our loved ones will eventually cease to exist is awful. But 100 years ago, none of us existed and yet we never fear or dread the past.

12. newcastlefan

Reputations:

thats the same problem i have with organized religions: one person or one group generalizing about something for everyone else. unless you know almost every religious person that statement is more emotional than factual.

13. Sternac

Sternac HALs Pal

Reputations:
    but if you kill people you get seven virgins and go to heaven:argh:

14. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

Religion allows for slavery and bigotry and homophobia and death. It punishes those that do not believe, even now, in some parts of the world, where apostasy is rewarded with execution, Christianity allows for this punishment, but it is not practiced.

Yahweh Sabaoth, lord of armies, is our current omni god that punishes his followers for crimes he knew they would commit, eons before he created them and for sins he created.

Religion is an organization that celebrates tyranny and hate and charred offerings and sacrifice - just like every other myth created before it. It is sad that people still give any credence to the bullshit.

15. Dlist

Reputations:
    That too! Organized religion is fucked up.

16. KDK12

KDK12 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    WOW How thought provoking. When's the last time a Christian or Jew or any believer made a thread preaching in Dawg's?.
    That's what's so offputting about you Atheist. You're worse than Mormon's on the Net. Very preachy and absolutely closed minded.

17. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    for approx 13-16 billion years I didn't exist. then one day along with an exceptional amount of pain and discomfort i existed. the pain and discomfort has persisted to differing degrees for the last 50 years. in approx 20-30 years i probably will stop existing. for the next 5 billion or so years i will continue to not exist until such time as the sun goes nova when we all will no longer exist. i think i can handle this minor interruption in my overall state of nonexistence.

if acknowledging that one of the millions of things greater than me exists helps me suffer this period of pain and discomfort, how does that make me "weak"? more likely it makes me realistic and rational.

but suffering a group of other people who apparently have no more knowledge than I do, insisting i pay or support them to tell me how to worship
    would make me weak and stupid.

18. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    have you ever had a virgin? why would you want one let alone 72 of them? i don't want slaves or innocent children: i'm not on a power trip. i would want a bunch of equals, not some whiny girls who simply will not appreciate me or my efforts until they have 5 more other guys.

19. Dlist

Reputations:
    NOT! I'm open minded..give me proof of this god in the sky...that "it's all about faith" is BS. And why would God preach Allah, Buddah, Christanity just you make factions fight??? Seems like he is an angry, and self absorbed God if you ask me.

20. KDK12

KDK12 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm Catholic and I have never made a thread trashing Atheisem. You guys are turning in to what you despise, preachy know it all's that judge everybody. Get a grip man If you don't like Religon nobody is forcing you to be a believer, but please stop with this smug above it all attitude. Nobody knows for sure what created us or what happens when we die. Just get you're head out of you're ass and stop being so fucking pushy OP