"We don't need a warrant, we're ICE, the warrant is coming out of my balls"

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by GSD, Oct 25, 2011.

1. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    Not that I'm a huge fan of the ACLU but occasionally they take on something useful for all of us

http://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrants-rights/we-dont-need-warrant-were-ice

On the night of October 20, 2010, Angel Escobar and Jorge Sarmiento were in bed in their small, two-bedroom apartment in the Clairmont complex in Nashville. The doors and windows were all shut and locked. Suddenly there was a loud banging at the door and voices shouting "Police!" and "Policia!" When no one answered, the agents tried to force the door open. Scared, Jesus hid in a closet. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents began hitting objects against the bedroom windows, trying to break in. Without a search warrant and without consent, the ICE agents eventually knocked in the front door and shattered a window, shouting racial slurs and storming into the bedrooms, holding guns to their heads. When asked if they had a warrant, one agent reportedly said, "We don't need a warrant, we're ICE," and, gesturing to his genitals, "the warrant is coming out of my balls."

The Fourth Amendment strictly prohibits warrantless intrusions into private homes and the Constitution's protections apply to both citizens and non-citizens alike. In the absence of a judicially authorized warrant, there must be voluntary and knowing consent; ICE officers forcing themselves into someone's home does not constitute consent.

The ACLU and ACLU of Tennessee this week filed a lawsuit in federal court on behalf of fifteen residents of the apartment complex who were subjected to this large-scale, warrantless raid by ICE agents and Metro Nashville police officers.

Among the plaintiffs are U.S. citizens, including a child detained and interrogated while playing soccer on the playground simply because of the color of his skin. Looking Latino and speaking Spanish is not enough to justify probable cause for questioning and arresting a person. Another plaintiff was carted away in handcuffs in front of his frightened and crying children.

Unfortunately, the Clairmont raid is not an isolated incident. As the Department of Homeland Security and its enforcement arm, ICE, expand their aggressive immigration enforcement policies, all too often the constitutional rights afforded to everyone living in the United States are violated. Even as ICE carries out its mission, it must act in accordance with the law and in a manner that is humane.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this post misidentified the men whom ICE agents threatened with guns to their heads. It was Angel Escobar and Jorge Sarmiento, not Angel Enrique and Jesus Antonio.

2. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    Angel Escobar played for the SF Giants, but not for long.

3. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    i def pegged you as a fan of the ACLU. I agree with you that sometimes they are useful.

Maybe i'm just retarded, or things are too black and white with me, or I watch too much Law & Order, but i just do not understand the behavior of the law enforcement people.

Yes, you DO need a warrant, and it needs to come from a judge, not your balls.

4. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    The ACLU takes on some very unpopular causes, because ultimately if you allow the Constitution to be eroded even to put the scum of the earth behind bars or to death it will erode for for everyone.

5. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    Intellectually, i think we both know that. But some of their cases are doozies. But i know where to go if my civil liberties get violated.

6. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    it's like anything Bye, the crazy lawsuits always get the press. Like the one against McDonald's for the "hot coffee." The media had a field day with that one, and used it to bash trial lawyers, but if you knew the facts of the case you would be stunned and in full support of the plaintiff. It's all about spin

7. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head ~Would Like to Play~ Gold

Reputations:
    If I was Latino, I'd start at the source and blame all the God Damn illegal immigrants. :cuss: They should be on the front lines fighting for better border patrol and more strict immigration laws. It would help avoid all this confusion. If they're not willing to fight for tougher immigration laws, they must be willing to put up with things like this. :c

8. Partyxanimal

Partyxanimal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "We don't need a warrant, we're ICE"

[​IMG]

9. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:

At best I'm 50/50 on the ACLU

Far too much politics, fund raising and seeking press coverage. Not enough actual defense or attack in defense of the Constitution. Some things they take up are crazy.

These people are better in many respects

https://www.eff.org/