Welcome to poverty.

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by chrisfromvegas, Sep 20, 2010.

1. chrisfromvegas

chrisfromvegas HOOLIGAN VIP

Reputations:
    Welcome to the new and improved United States. We traded our jobs at Philco, General Electric, RCA, Admiral ect. For jobs at Best Buy. Who needs manufacturing when you can have retail? We traded our jobs at US Steel and Bethlehem Steel for jobs at TGI Fridays. Waiting tables is fun! Then we shuffled paper for 15 - 20 years, and that worked pretty well. But now it's over. Jobs are scarce. This isn't a recession, this is how it is. We had plenty of blow money from home equity, but that wasn't even real. What is real? Now . This is real.

Now if we could only outsource our police and fire, the plan would be complete.

Asia has waged economic warfare on us for over 30 years. They're winning.

2. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Guest

Reputations:
    Which political party do you feel is most likely to encourage the outsourcing of traditionally American labor?

I was reading about some of the sources for these jive-ass Tea Party manifestoes this afternoon and was considerably surprised to read that a great deal of their "innovative" ideas are derived from the writings of an Austrian economist from the mid-20th century (Friedrich Hayek) in general and Hayek's THE ROAD TO SERFDOM in particular.

Tea Party darling Republican Representative Paul Ryan of Wisconsin based much of his economic "Roadmap For America's Future" on Hayek's THE ROAD TO SERFDOM -originally published in 1944. The Republican Party has endorsed Ryan's "Roadmap".
    According to Ryan, the $20 billion escrow fund BP was forced to set up by the current administration to pay damages from the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico "circumvents the rule of law" - the Austrian economist Hayek's term for "the unwritten code" that prohibits the federal govenrment from interfering with the "pursuit of personal ends and desires".*

And as the John Roberts Supreme Court has determined, corporations now enjoy the same rights as individuals.
    So ...doesn't this mean... if all this Tea Party bullshit is to be taken at face value then if the C.E.O.s of Philco or G.E. or RCA or whom-the-fuck-ever decides that it's more economicially beneficial to their corporate profits to relocate their factories to a mudflat somewhere south of downtown Hindustan, then it's their own goddamned business and none of our own?
    By "outsourcing" aren't they just enjoying the good ol' American free enterprise system?

I ask this because I really only half-ass care at this point in my life.
    And because I won't live long enough to see the successful formation an all-coporate international state a la the futuristic world as depicted in BLADE RUNNER, I really shouldn't give a flying fuck after all, should I?

*for more on sources for the various Tea Party manifestoes see:
    [B]http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/0...the Moment Looks To Long Ago Texts&st=cse[/B]

3. k4D3t

k4D3t Reverse Apache Master VIP

Reputations:
    I read the Road to Serfdom probably 20 years ago. It's been the foundation of Rush Limbaugh's shtick from the beginning. It's oversimplified, pap economics. More Adam Smith nonsense for a new generation.

4. k4D3t

k4D3t Reverse Apache Master VIP

Reputations:
    They are now borrowing us back our own money, obtained from our purchase of goods made by slave labor.

5. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Guest

Reputations:
    This was the 1st I'd heard of Hayek.
    How'd you come to read this - were you an economics major back in college?
    It's not something I'd think you'd find on a lot of folks' reading lists.

The scary thing to me about the Tea Party "Patriots'" enthusiasm for an Austrian economic theory formulated in 1944 is that it reminds me of the way Depression era Wall Streeters embraced the then-innovative economic theories of Benito Mussolini.
    There's something about this entire Tea Party movement and the arch-Right swing of the Republican Party that is giving off the foetid reek of neo-fascism.

6. mingmen

mingmen New Member

Reputations:
  7. mingmen

mingmen New Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

pass it around boys

8. SIPAWITZ

SIPAWITZ Bialy Whore Banned User

Reputations:
  9. Bro

Bro Oligarchical Corporatocracy VIP Gold

Reputations:

Ever work at a steel factory?

10. RH Goatcabin

RH Goatcabin Notable Member VIP

Reputations:
    I had a friend who worked at a smelter. I'd rather wait tables...

11. RH Goatcabin

Reputations:
    I actually made good money waiting tables, I socked away and saved my paychecks for rent and bills and used the tips for walking around money...

12. Bro

Reputations:
    It was a smelting accident.

[​IMG]

13. RH Goatcabin

Reputations:
    I fell for it. The old thread bump...

14. tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If the pay is what it should be then a steel factory would be a better job, problem is you can make as much waiting tables at Fridays as you can working at a steel mill, well the ones that are left.

15. Bro

Reputations:
    I hate you tomtom

16. tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You are obsessed with forum poker and lady gaga. I think I will be okay with you hating me.

17. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    The Road to Serfdom is available in comic book form. Probably the only reason why the Tea Party is familiar with it. :facepalm:

18. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    Trust our leaders it will all be ok

19. Bro

Reputations:
    You hate Howard. I like Howard. Die.

20. tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard is okay but he lost quite a few steps lately. He also has an obsession with black cock. He can't go one day without gushing about black cock.

I don't like black cock, you like black cock. You don't have to die, run with it. There isn't a don't ask don't tell policy here. :gayhand: