Well this sucks balls: Net Neutrality is Dead

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Jan 14, 2014.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Any semblance of net neutrality in the United States is as good as dead. The United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia on Tuesday struck down the Federal Communications Commission’s 2010 order that imposed network neutrality regulations on wireline broadband services. The ruling is a major victory for telecom and cable companies who have fought all net neutrality restrictions vociferously for years.

The original FCC order said that wireline ISPs â€shall not block lawful content, applications, services or non-harmful devices, subject to reasonable network management†while also mandating that ISPs “shall not unreasonably discriminate in transmitting lawful traffic over a consumer’s broadband Internet access service.â€

In its ruling against the FCC’s rules, the court said that such restrictions are not needed in part because consumers have a choice in which ISP they use.
    “Without broadband provider market power, consumers, of course, have options,†the court writes. “They can go to another broadband provider if they want to reach particular edge providers or if their connections to particular edge providers have been degraded.â€

For anyone who lives in a market with limited competition for home broadband services, the court does acknowledge that you might have some “difficulty†in finding another provider but says that it’s still not reason enough to restrict what an ISP can do when it comes to managing its own traffic.

http://bgr.com/2014/01/14/net-neutrality-court-ruling/

2. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
  3. chapped

Reputations:

yea pretty much... what fucking planet do these courts live on?

how many people do you know that just happen to have more than two choices for high speed internet?

i heard Google is getting into the high speed internet business ... i hope they do and destroy these cock sucking profiteering cable companies...

4. qb123

qb123 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I never understood why this was such a big deal. If the cable/telecom companies spent all those billions of dollars to lay down the infrastructure for their networks who the hell is the government to tell them how to operate them?

5. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
    i dunno, Google seems to be moving away from their "do no evil" philosophy lately.

6. chapped

Reputations:

how many cable providers do you have to chose from?

7. chapped

Reputations:
    the enemy of my enemy... i am a huge believer in competition and that is what will happen if they do

8. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    call me naive, but I think Google is aiming a little higher than being the most afforadble ISP.

9. chapped

Reputations:

so you would rather have less choices?

lets not get side tracked with making this about Google..

The cable companies are about rate hikes and the lowest customer satisfaction of any industry

giving them control over the internet traffic is not a good thing

10. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Bad news for consumers - just a way for the ISPs to make even more money, continue to deliver poor service and control content.

11. qb123

qb123 Well-Known Member

Reputations:

nothing is stopping other cable companies from digging up lines in the other companies footholds. Maybe if government didnt put up so many roadblocks and redtape the companies would have a greater financial motivation to do so.

12. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    As long as they don't rely on monopoly power given to them by government action, they can do whatever they want with their shit. And suffer the market consequences.

However, this means most cable companies and phone companies should be net neutral, but not satellite or wireless providers, as cable and phone companies are often set up to be monopolies due to the trouble with runnning multiple sets of utility lines. But a company that merely buys a spot to put a wireless tower up, or a company that uses space to beam the signal up/down? They have the right to do whatever they want with their system.

Some people can't figure out this distinction, and often they're whiny babies who think others have to provide them what they want in life and create new "rights" out of thin air to get what they want by sending government bullies out to get it for them in exchange for their vote.

13. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This sucks hard. I hope that coast-to-coast free WiFi becomes a reality and that ISPs can go suck eggs.

14. Turtle Man

Turtle Man Hello Darling Gold

Reputations:
    was always gonna happen....maybe obama should make us pay him for internet too

15. chapped

Reputations:

pretty much... anyone that has any doubt about that can Google Cable Company Profit Margins ....these cock suckers are pissed that Netflix and internet sites that are eating away at their profits..

16. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    I agree with variety in ISPs. I agree with alternatives to cable even more... I support Roku, Apple TV, etc... Google is what I was side tracked with. Google has far more aspirations of putting robots onto Mars and into military combat than giving you a cheaper alternative to your cable service provider. I hope you are right, because if anyone has the power to take out the cable companies its Google or Apple. I think that the cost of internet and television will drop dramatically in the next decade as a result of technological advancement in general, not due to a major company like Google putting everyone else out of business. I think it'll be some start up company, like a Netflix, that figures out a way to put everyone else out of business.

Vontage and Netflix (far more advanced than Vontage) are beta versions of what are to come... This just isn't a concern to these major companies, especially Google with all the robotic/security companies they are buying up. Apple is concerned about milking the public with state of the art hardware & Google has more of an intergalactic, immortal business plan geared even more towards the next century than the present. They'll just buy the idea once the technology is there. We are on the way towards free multimedia and instantaneous internet.. just don't hold your breath.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  17. gd9tsd9tas9sa9

gd9tsd9tas9sa9 New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Now the isp can throttle up speeds for those who pay
    same as the bandwidth they provide
    lose lose for the consumer

18. chapped

Reputations:
    most american's are locked into one cable company based on where they live... and that is what most people are pissed about..

most american's don't have the money or luxury of simply moving to another geographical location to be able to get the cable company they want..

shit what about people who live in apartments where they can't even pick an alternative for shit?

that's going to suck even more balls for those people

these cock sucikers don't even deny it, they pretty much say ... tough shit

court does acknowledge that you might have some “difficulty” in finding another provider but says that it’s still not reason enough to restrict what an ISP can do when it comes to managing its own traffic.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  19. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    If your provider finds the Shed offensive you won't be able to come here any more. Up until now all access had to be equal.

20. chapped

Reputations:
    :nutpunch: