Were there any Stern bits that you didn't find funny? More so sad?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Gromit, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Gromit

Gromit New Member

Reputations:
    I may just be too sensitive or something, but off the top of my head I can think of a handful of bits that I just didn't think were funny (because they were cruel).

I was watching an older show that brought it to mind. It was where they convince Steve Grillo to shave his head for a bunch of money (I think it was like 2,300 dollars). The bit didn't start out that way, it was all about them playing around with that canned hair stuff (made Scott the Engineer use it) which was funny because he was willing to go along with it. Then Howard made Grillo come in and basically berated him about how stupid his thinning hair looked until he finally used the spray. I think Grillo is a doofus, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for him, and then shaving it was the icing on the cake because he had transplant scars. It was just such an obvious self conscious attack from Stern cause he knew his hair was going.

Howard tends to act like an asshole most of the time, but there's a handful of bits where he just seems really vicious and awful, that one being one of them. He just WONT drop it and he gets this really weird look in his eye and keeps going till the person is totally defeated.

Another one that comes to mind is the HPE and the fish bit. It was amusing for a bit, but a lot of the time when Stern is harassing the wackpackers (no matter how irritating they can be) it just seems really cheap. They're so incredibly damaged and of course they knew what the signed up for, but I'm really not convinced these people can truly know what is going to come.

Same with the Bobo treasure trade bit (where Sal paints Bobo's face with his cock). I think Bobo is kind of a sick person (and we all know his IQ) and it just felt innately wrong.

Have you guys had any bits like this, past or present?

2. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Bobo got what he deserved.sorry

3. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Gary the retard on the moon.

4. Gromit

Gromit New Member

Reputations:
    I'm sort of on the fence about that one to be honest....I just think he's the kind of guy who would say yes to anything but wouldn't ever talk about his regrets. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

5. Gromit

Gromit New Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, that one bothered me a bit also.

6. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Oh. And Beth with the kittens today.

7. Gromit

Gromit New Member

Reputations:
    I more so put that in the "cruel and unusual punishment" category.

8. skytzoboy

skytzoboy not a fuck to give

Reputations:
    I loved every second of the High Pitch fish torture because borderline retard or not, he's a lowlife and I have no empathy for that tub of shit. The one that I thought was just unfunny and borderline cruel was the Gary the Retard goes to the moon bit. That was just embarrassingly cringe worthy.

9. Gromit

Gromit New Member

Reputations:
    I think I just see HPE as someone who needs to be institutionalized.

10. sammyr134

sammyr134 Mister Sunshine Banned User

Reputations:
    The bit where beff married howie .....that was sad

11. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Tons of unfunny, cruel bits. However, none were memorable, so I can't recall them now. He does it now only under very controlled circumstances (with a whackpacker who can't fight back) because your average tramp off the street (the ones he used to like to make cry) would rip him a new asshole about his hair, chin, nose, and neck if he pissed them off.

12. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    He's just stupid. Low IQ is highly correlated with criminal and other antisocial behavior. They lack the intelligence to be able to convince them why they should not act on their every impulse.

13. Gromit

Gromit New Member

Reputations:
    Yeah it seemed a bit more intense pre-2007 or so. It's always something Wigward is insecure about and he really changes into a cruel bully. Ugh, I hate saying that but man, there are a few times that I'm just uncomfortable the whole bit. Occasionally the old Gary stuff bugged me too.

14. Gromit

Gromit New Member

Reputations:
    You really don't think something else is wrong with him? I really suspect he's low functioning autistic (I did a residency with autistic kids when I was getting my degree).

15. Phantom Lord

Phantom Lord Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This wasn't a bit but it was funny and brutal. Take the time to listen to this. These are two different clips from two different shows on the same topic. Gary came in with a game where Howard would try to piss everyone off in one sentence or less. Howard was brutal. He did it with everyone on the staff but went for the kill with Gary. Could you imagine him doing this today? The funny thing is this was within the last 10 years of the Stern show. How the times have changed.

Enjoy:cheer:

[video=youtube;1taz_j-F73I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1taz_j-F73I[/video]

16. Lster

Lster Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Remember when Sal helped High Pitch Mike record a "Rock A Bye Baby" parody about Artie? I forget the lyric but there was something specifically that Artie should join his father, referring to his dad falling off the ladder and later on committing suicide.

Not only was it just a shitty and mean spirited song parody but I think it was irresponsible of Stern to play that on the air considering how emotional Artie is over his dad and how previously heated he had gotten over High Pitch Mike. He was adding fuel to a fire and it was already clear at that time that Artie is far from a stable person.

You can mock someone's tragically dead dad on the Stern Show but godforbid you mock a Gold Digging Wife.

@Phantom Lord, that (the piss everyone off with one sentence game) is one of the best Stern moments. His way with words were like a knife in the heart.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  17. Gromit

Gromit New Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, all the most cruel bits are soaked in irony.

18. SillyOldMan

SillyOldMan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    One of stern's first Sirius bits was making gary go to Howard's house to check if Howard left tissues that he came in the previous night. This bit was an early sign of how bad the Sirius show will become. Howard is not a good liar and I could tell from the very beginning that the whole thing was fake. Never funny. Very fake. Not clever. Nobody called out the phoniness besides a wrap-up show caller or two that got through.

19. ScottBaiosPenis

Reputations:
    that was a pretty funny song, i was glad to hear sal wrote it cause i figured there was no way high pitch mike had a funny bone in his body (except when kevin meaney fucks him)

20. ScottBaiosPenis

Reputations:
    bobo is a piece of shit first off . second he didnt HAVE to take a dick to the face, he didnt have to do anything. he could have just tutned down all the stupid "prizes" the thing they wanted to trade was a fucking shitty leroy neiman poster of howie yoiu can get off ebay for less than 20 bucks ...he could have gave away the poster and avoided a dick to the face. fuck bobo

none of the other bits you mentioned seem that cruel imo. the only one i felt kinda bad were some of the stuff said to the staff specifically gary and fred. the rainbow room thing and the thing with fred's wife kissing john crossed the line in a big way. also sometimes gary fights would turn ugly in a way that felt like it went too far.

the gary the retard on the moon thing everyone else has mentioned i think that is a low point for the show too.