WFAN To Acquire 101.9 FM; Simulcast to Begin In Late Fall

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Nemo, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/10/08/wfan-sportsradio-66-to-simulcast-on-101-9-fm

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) - CBS RADIO, a division of CBS Corporation (NYSE: CBS.A and CBS), today announced it has signed a definitive agreement to purchase 101.9 FM from Merlin Media for $75 million. In late fall, CBS RADIO will begin its operation of the station under a Local Marketing Agreement, launching a simulcast of the company’s premier sports franchise, Sports Radio 66 WFAN.

will Howard say he invented this?
    :facepalm:

2. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    WFAN should have done this 15 fucking years ago at least, prehistoric move by prehistoric PDs and hosts. How the fuck do you broadcast on YES-TV and not be FM by now????? Won't change a thing, won't help a thing. It's STILL redundant NY sports biased ball-less, wussy, rhetoric that has only 20 minutes of content in 60 minutes of air time. UNlistenable, myopic piker sports talk for NY jerkoffs, AND I'm from Long Island! If it's streamed on the WWW than it's been MORE than "FM" and this is moot.

When Chris Russo left the station was deader than Howard's testosterone to me. And I don't care what the ratings are, if you listen to fucking WFAN and think Mike Fracesa is cutting edge sports talk then I will not be riding shotgun with you anytime soon. I may put a shotgun in my mouth at most.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. ryanv1978

ryanv1978 New Member

Reputations:
    WEEI did this years ago and still became nearly irrelevent in Boston.

Howard will have a tough time saying he invented this; but that won't stop him

4. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    They killed WYSP 94.1 in Philly by doing this same lame move.

I think 5 people listen to that station now. They bellyache about Michael Vick all day long.

Good riddance.

5. johnnyfuel

johnnyfuel Active Member

Reputations:
    Yayyyyy! We get to listen to that fat bloated idiot argue with the callers on am an fm now,,,lol
    at least ill be able to listen to boomer and carton in the morning now because am doesn't come in that good I'm my Mack truck!!!!!

6. urbanshocker

urbanshocker New Member

Reputations:
    I jump between Boomer and Carton and Mike & Mike (ESPN) during my morning drive--I like both--but the rest of the day on either channel is barely listenable.

What really pisses me off though, is the loss of 101.9 as a music outlet--best NY radio station by far, similar to AltNation/Octane--can there just be one good, free, FM rock station?

7. Madipuppy

Madipuppy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Francesa is to sports as Robin is to news. They are both ignorant and stupid and will never ever admit they are wrong. Only morons call into Francesa's show and he thinks thats the average fan. I sometimes am on a message board that makes fun of Francesa. Its similar to the morning thread here.

8. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Listen to Mike Francesa hang up on callers in stereo. I wish Howard treated his callers like Mike. MFB, Bobo, Wheels and Tommy would all be hung up on in a minute or less.

9. CaptainFrank

CaptainFrank Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This has nothing to do with simulcasting...

The New York Yankees contract with WCBS radio is up next year or the year after. WFAN wants the Yankees, but often has conflicts with other teams (NBA, Hockey) etc.. This allows them to bid on the Yanks, and also broadcast the other team.

The rumor is however that the Yankees may be in the market to buy their own radio station, and do the work themselves. They would hire other talent for other content. This purchase might have been a move to prevent the Yanks from buying the station.

Baseball will likely be broadcast on AM as it reaches much farther than FM and has a larger audience.