What Are Your Memories of 9/11?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by peterfonda, Aug 26, 2015.

1. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The 14th anniversary is coming up and the Dust Lady story brought it all back.

I worked in lower Manhattan on 9/11. My office was 3 blocks west of Ground Zero. I saw the whole thing happen from my office window, start to end - the planes, the collapses. The clouds of dust and ash were unreal. Like a Michael Bay movie. My office was on the 18th floor. I left my building at about 2 pm. The scene on the street was eerie and frightening. It had been a warm, sunny, early fall day. But when I walked out of my office, the streets looked like mid-January. Gray skies but instead of white snow, everything - mailboxes, cars, streets, sidewalks - was covered with six inches of fine gray ash. Ash was swirling through the air. But what was creepiest was the utter silence - no cars, no trucks, no buses, nothing. Like Christmas morning. The subways weren't running so I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and into Brooklyn, and took the Long Island Rail Road home. Remember it like yesterday.

2. Pussy Tendon

Pussy Tendon Wet! CUNT!!!!! Gold

Reputations:
    Had the day off work.

Went golfing.

Watched CNN for about a week straight.

3. peterfonda

Reputations:
    One other thing: as my office was below Chambers Street, we were in the "frozen zone" and so I didn't go back to work for ten days. The head of the federal EPA, Christie Todd Whitman, told everyone about September 21 that the air downtown had been tested and was safe to breathe. When I went back downtown the air looked clear but it smelled like burnt metal and ash. It left a gritty taste in your mouth, like flour, except it was a metallic taste. It continued like that for weeks afterward. wonder how many people's remains I inhaled during that time.

4. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is my Sept. 11 2012 post.

In lower Manhattan. I had just dropped my brother off at work about fifteen minutes before the first plane hit. At the time he worked for The Bank of New York at Number Seven World Trade, the third building to collapse.

He had missed his train from Long Island and he called me to drive him into the city since I was going to New Jersey that morning and I could just drop him off. I hate driving into the city so I tried to find the fastest way in and out. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a "fast way in and out" of the city. I dropped him off at about eight thirty and started my way to NJ. I was stuck in traffic when the first plane hit. I was trying to get to the tunnel when the news broke on the radio (I wasn't listening to Howard, I was tuned to WCBS for traffic reports). My first thought was "HOLY SHIT! I WAS JUST THERE!" then I realized that my brother was STILL THERE! I tried to call him on his cell phone but remember this was 2001 and cell service was pretty spotty at best back then and the service was probably overloaded. I manged to get back to the Financial District but by this time the NYPD had closed off the surrounding streets and I couldn't get anywhere near the WTC. I could see the awful cloud and smell the acrid smoke. There was a stream of people moving north away from the burning tower. Although I didn't know it at the time my brother was among them. He left as soon as he heard there was a fire at the WTC and he and his co-workers were all safely evacuated. To make a very long and agonizing story short, my brother and I managed to find each other hours afterwards. Each of us with a terrible memory of that day.

I'm not a religious man but after seeing what I saw that day, I thank whatever force in the Universe kept my brother safe when so many others weren't so lucky.

My God bless ALL the men and women of the NYPD, FDNY, EMT's and the doctors and nurses and all who responded that day...and every day!

5. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    cheery thread :jj:

6. BringBackJackie

BringBackJackie Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Pretty sure it came after 9/10 and before 9/12. Next question

7. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP

Reputations:
  8. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    I remember where I was, who my patient was and exactly what I was doing on him.

It's funny how we are undoubtedly embedded in each other's psyche.

9. Leather Head

Leather Head Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sound of PASS alarms going off, and knowing that those were attached to firefighters. Sad day for the brotherhood...

10. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You got that right.

11. EddyG

EddyG MORON Banned User

Reputations:
    watched it on tv allot.I was in nyc June 2011,not set 8th 2011 luckily

12. MorningSong13

MorningSong13 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Freaking out because I dreamt about it right before I woke up, but came to realize my college roommate was watching it on the news as I was waking up so I'm sure the commentary just made me think I was dreaming it.

Terrible shit. Such a horrible day.

13. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    i was 19 and this girl i worked with that had giant tits came running in the file room to tell me to turn on the TV we had in there. her boobs were flopping out of her shirt. it was so hot

14. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I was living in New Jersey at the time. I listened to what was happening at work. On the way home, I had a good view of southern Manhattan. All the smoke coming from the towers was Biblical. I didn't sleep well for a couple of weeks afterwards.

15. blindbella

blindbella Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's a long story and I've told it so many times, I don't even want to tell it again.
    It just brings back very bad memories.
    I'm just glad I took that flight home from Atlanta and landed at LGA at midnight
    and got to see the WTC for the last time, just hours before it went down.

babybear, Pooh bear, smichal and 4 others like this.
  16. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I understand completely.:tears:

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  17. johnfreeman1

johnfreeman1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Interrupted Dragonball Z in the morning, terrorist bastards.

18. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was working in my driveway the next day about 20 miles away and remember the smell of burning plastic

Pooh bear, smichal and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  19. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    "Oh my god, how does this affect Howard?"

[​IMG]

20. peterfonda

Reputations:
    I'd remember that too!