What Do You Think of Jimmy Kimmel?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by peterfonda, Jul 19, 2013.

1. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard talks about him like he's the embodiment of the Second Coming.

Frankly, I think Jimmy's OK but no better than Fallon, Letterman or Ferguson. In fact, I think Fallon is more talented because he does some great impressions. Letterman is a old codger compared to these guys but nobody does deadpan better.

I liked Kimmel best when he was Ben Stein's straight man on "Win Ben Stein's Money" back in the day.

He started to get a little conceited on "The Man Show".

I think he's a competent talk show host but otherwise I find him a bit smarmy and full of himself. I mean, the guy hosts a talk show in the middle of the night. That's it. He does nothing groundbreaking or new; he's following the same formula that Johnny Carson invented 50 years ago and is just the same as the other guys.

2. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    That pretty much sums it up.

3. horsefacebetho

horsefacebetho Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think he looks like my Siamese cat.

4. Jon Hein is God

Jon Hein is God New Member

Reputations:
    Howard talks about Kimmel like he's the embodiment of the Second Coming because he thinks he made Kimmel.

Sure, Kimmel basically followed the Stern model.

And by that I mean, he has the manly side and the womanly side. And sometimes, one side takes over.

I don't get the smarmy thing at all.

My opinion, having watched 97% or more of all "Jimmy Kimmel Live" episodes, is that Kimmel's appeal is that he's NOT smarmy.

He doesn't think he's above it all.

He's everyman. He likes engaging with everyday people.

That's why everyday people are a big part of his show.

That's why the lower-rung people are also featured.

That's why celebrities like him, because they don't have to compete with him. He's a regular guy.

If you were to ask him, he wouldn't think he's curing cancer or anything. Just doing a stupid talk show.

5. Jon Hein is God

Reputations:
    Jimmy Kimmel once featured my mom in a comedy bit, plucking her out of the street.

It's a video I cherish.

Something, my mom and I find hilarious.

6. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Jimmy idolizes Howard and kisses his ass. Jimmy gives Howard access to celebrities who would never associate with him in a million years. If Jimmy was the biggest hack in the world, Howard would be singing his praises. Two things Howard loves is to surround himself with sycophants and celebrities. Jimmy fits the bill in both cases.

As for Jimmy's talent, I think he puts on a decent show. I personally think all late night talk shows are among the lowest forms of TV entertainment. They are all just cookie cutter formats with interviews designed to set up one liners for the host half the time. I give the new crop of hosts credit (the two Jimmys, Craig Ferguson) for at least trying new things from the tired stuff Dave and Leno do, but they are all mostly just watered-down acts.

7. Judy Garland

Judy Garland New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Jimmy Kimmel is an example of what you can achieve in Hollywood if you just trespass long enough. Seriously, they gave Kimmel a show so he'd shut the fuck up. He's mildly talented and has only that generic, fat guy look.

8. Jon Hein is God

Reputations:
    Kimmel wasn't clamoring for his own show. It wasn't even on his mind.

ABC sought him out and also sought out Jon Stewart (Stewart and Kimmel have the same agent).

Many, many, many, many talented people have tried to host a talk show, and have failed.

Kimmel is in his 11th year. If he wasn't talented, he wouldn't still be around.

9. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't watch any late night shows. No clue if he is funny or talented. He was a good second person on the Man Show.

Saw him outside in Washington D.C. doing an interview and his hair plugs were really obvious.

Good for him. Fat, balding guy, making good in Hollywood.

10. Jon Hein is God

Reputations:
    He doesn't have hair plugs, but he has said many times that his bald spot is spray painted.

Oh, and he's not currently fat.

[​IMG]

11. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Is your mom hot?

12. Jon Hein is God

Reputations:
    Also, I don't get how some people here are acting like elitist nobs in looking down at talk show hosts....

....while posting on a forum devoted to a guy famous for celebrating farting and retards.

It's just fuckin' entertainment.

13. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Does your mom have "big n' heavies"?

14. Turtle Man

Turtle Man Hello Darling Gold

Reputations:
    Old school brothers are some of the coolest cats.. Ya dig

15. Turtle Man

Turtle Man Hello Darling Gold

Reputations:
    He was cool .. Man show days
    now he's a brown noser to celebs.. Kisses sterns ass.. Kinds pathetic

16. Skyway

Skyway New Member VIP

Reputations:
    I first heard him when he was Jimmy the Sports Guy on the Kevin and Bean show at KROQ Los Angeles. He replaced Chet Waterhouse who was paid to do sports; from what I heard Jimmy wormed his way in and did the sports for free, I guess to get on the radio.

I didn't like him then and I don't like him now.

17. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    And I always thought that when Howard did a lot of that stuff it was the lowest form of comedy on radio.

My problem with most late night talk shows is that they lack entertainment. It is a bunch of old jokes in the monologue and then celebrities telling BS stories to set up punchlines until they can shill their movie or show. It is what late night talk shows have been about since Carson. Actually since Steve Allen.

I just don't find them funny. For the most part, they are only funny when they break out of those tired molds (The "I'm Fucking Matt Damon" video, Matt Damon hijacking the show, etc.).

Late Night talk shows are bad because the same reason Howard is bad today. They are mostly safe comedy and predictable and not particularly funny.

18. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I agree - the late night talk format is old and tired. I don't watch any of the late night shows anymore and have recently just seen the occasional Kimmel clips posted here. Some of his bits seem clever and he can't be all bad, as he made Gary throw baseballs during his appearance. I also thought Carolla was better on the Man Show.

19. peterfonda

Reputations:
    Howard was one of them. Remember his foray into late night as the replacement for Joan Rivers? By all accounts, there were only five shows produced and they were all disasters.

And that's another Howard peeve of mine. Howard likes to crow about his conquest of the TV world but in truth, Howard has never had a TV show that is separate and apart from his radio show. (Son of the Beach doesn't count - he wasn't in it.) They are one and the same. If Howard thinks he's a TV star because of the Channel 9 and E! versions of his radio show and because of Howard TV, he's nuts. By the same logic, you can call these people TV stars as well.

Imus: Has had his radio show broadcast on MSNBC, RFD and Fox Business Channel;
    Mike Francesa: Has his radio show broadcast on YES
    Boomer and Carton: Have their radio show broadcast on MSG.

20. peterfonda

Reputations:
    This is not true. Longevity is not based on talent, its based on ratings. You can get ratings without being talented. Chris "Mad Dog" Russo is one of the dumbest people I've ever heard on radio, yet he's been on radio for nearly 25 years. He keeps going because he rants and raves with that speech defect of his and makes outrageous statements, which rile people up and get them to listen and call in. He does nothing original or funny. He's a complete dope and yet here he is.